Coast Fraser Tower
Average 3/5
Explorer Hotel(Yellowknife)
Excellent 5/5
    Very Good 4/5
    All reviewscontinental breakfastfull kitchenapartment buildingstarbucks coffeeliving roomstay there againlaundry facilitieslarge loungeslow internetyogurthard boiled eggslonger staybest betpots and pansbig roomin towneasy walking distance
    FilterAll languages
    Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

Room was massive complete with kitchen, dining area, living room and separate bedroom with its own tv. Was a little outdated but extremely clean.
    One big issue was no air conditioning complete with 34 celsius, high humidity and thick wildife smoke made for a stale/hot and muggy stay. Not typical yellowknife weather though so not sure how often you'd really need the A/C.
    Good location though, a tad pricey. Overall 3 out of 5. When back in town for business I'd stay again.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
    Jenni B, General Manager at Coast Fraser Tower, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Thank you for the feedback and I am glad you enjoyed your stay! I agree it has been a very muggy summer and the lack of A/C has been an issue. I look forward to having you stay with us again.

Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for two weeks on a business trip.
    My apartment was clean and well appointed. The front desk help was outstanding.
    The only downside is you are at the mercy of your neighbors consideration or lack thereof. Screaming kids, running in the halls, chairs being dragged across floors. But that happens in other hotels too. As far as the overall experience I was very pleased with this hotel and would stay again for sure.

• Stayed: July 2014
    Jenni B, General Manager at Coast Fraser Tower, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Thank you for staying with us! I am sorry that your room was noisy. We strive to please all of our guests and we hope to see you back with us again!

Reviewed 26 July 2014

In Yellowknife for a week.Our two bedroom suite was clean and well appointed. Beds where very good/with extra pillows and good lighting beside the bed for reading. ( very important to me).Black out curtains were nice as we stayed in july and it helps for a good nights sleep. Each bedroom came w/a fan, and as we where on the 11 floor a nice breeze meant that they stayed in the closet.The only things i would change is to change the 4 cup coffee maker in the kitchen to a fullsize coffee pot. The living room had a large easy chair ,but a foot stool to go with it would be nice. The view was terrific from higher up. Staff was very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: I think the higher floors get a little more breeze in the summer,
    • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
    2  Thank islandviking
    Jenni B, General Manager at Coast Fraser Tower, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Thank you for your feedback! We always strive to please our guests. We look forward to seeing you here again.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

I can't believe that yellowknife can't do better than this facility for a business traveller. Paper thin walls, party central for all the summer young guests. Over booked, had to settle for most expensive room that didn't even reach 2 star status. Furniture and fixtures are from the 70's at best. If this is the best Yellowknife has to offer, avoid Yellowknife.

Room Tip: I doubt they have any GOOD rooms. No air conditioning, summer 24 hour sun light, you bake or get bitten by bugs.
    • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
    Review collected in partnership with Coast Hotels
    Reviewed 15 July 2014

Very little lived up to expectations, based on the price paid for this apartment-style hotel.

To be fair, I received a free upgrade to a two bedroom apartment, without asking. That was nice. However, the hotel has no air conditioning, which, even in a Yellowknife summer, is something that's required. Interestingly, when I inquired about the lack of air conditioning, the staff I spoke to didn't know that air didn't exist.

Room décor was average. The kitchen was well appointed and reasonably uptodate. Basic cleaning was done, although things were overlooked such as running the dishwasher and putting some of the pillows back on the bed after making it. Little things, but it makes one wonder what other things were missed that couldn't be seen.

Overall, I likely would not return.

The staff was reasonably friendly

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business