“Great Place to Stay!”
Review of The Discovery Inn

The Discovery Inn
Ranked #16 of 23 Yellowknife B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 November 2011

This hotel is very convenient to stay at, it is close to everything. There is a nearby grocery store, several banks, post office, Western Union and a resturant in the building which has the best chinese food in town! I stayed for work for 4 weeks and I was very happy with the hotel. It was nice to have a fridge in my room because i am a diabetic and the front desk staff is very accommodating because they quickly moved a fridge in my room for me. For a hotel located directly downtown, there was no problems with pretty much everything. My room was very comforatble. I would recommend this hotel and i plan on staying there again the next time i'm in Yellowknife.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
5  Thank Nathan H

Reviewed 19 November 2011

There aren't a lot of options in Yellowknife, and we didn't expect any hotel to be on par with hotels in major cities in the south, but this hotel should be last on your list. Check in and checkout were painful, slow and bureaucratic. There's no elevator, so you carry your stuff up 3 flights of stairs (and so does everyone else while you're sleeping.) The room was old and run down, The bedding not particularly clean. The shower didn't work properly and the building creaked and groaned all night. The fridge in my room was filthy with some growing black stuff. Avoid.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank advisetrip
Reviewed 15 September 2011

The location is excellent. In downtown area. U can go to grocery store, bank, restaurant, post office,..........within 5 - 10 mins. So convenience!!!
the working people are nice & friendly. Especially, the front desk service!!! They are working in 24 hrs. As I know, there are no front desk service in some yellowknife hotel. U cannot contact anyone by the way, if u need help.
The price is fair & I have a good trip overthere

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank gillian c
Reviewed 12 September 2011

I was traveling to yellowknife in the beginning of september on business and planned on staying with my new girlfriend for the week. I ended up having a disagreement with her after the first night and found myself without my wallet nor a place to stay in "YK" as the locals call it. It was a saturday morning and without a credit card "a.k.a. no wallet" for the life of me i couldn't check into a hotel, i tried everywhere and i ended up at this nice, kinda hidden hotel called the Discovery Inn. After talking with the front desk about my situation, a manager came down almost immediately and offered me a $700.00 rate for the week and with no credit card required. I had about $400.00 on me and they gave me a break so that i could pay the remainder next week...THANK GOD for the staff at the Discovery Inn... I wouldn't know what to do if i didn't go there! Thank You so much - Wayne Tornago

Room Tip: Ask for the manager Edward Tse, he is a very reasonable manager!
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 August 2011

The front desk service was friendly and helpful. The room was quiet - 3rd floor-but gross. The walls were dirty; looked like bloody smears on fridge; sheets had cigrette burns on it; tiolet was leaking water; bathroom sink was old and rusted; bathroom tub would not drain properly.
The location was a plus - walking distance to the "mall". Restaurant was right downstairs. This place accepted debit/cash and damage deposit was only $100.00 Minus was the drunks hanging out of the windows - when we drove into the parking lot; drunks hanging around the lobby; the hallsways stunk like B.O. and urine.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Northerntravler_11
Reviewed 7 June 2011

I have just stayed in Yellowknife for 2 weeks for business.I found a weekly rate hotel with good location .Staffs are very friendly.I definitely will recomend my firends staying here.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank northerntraveller28
Reviewed 2 May 2011

I recently stayed at the Discovery Inn while I was in YK for business. I found the staff very friendly and accommodating, the room was very clean and quiet. I enjoyed the food at the restaurant that was located in the building and I liked the fact that the Discovery Inn was located close to downtown and was within walking distance to all businesses. When I booked my room I was offered a discount business rate.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business