“Don't choice this hotel, if you have any other options!”
Review of The Discovery Inn

The Discovery Inn
Ranked #16 of 23 Yellowknife B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 October 2012

1. Everything in the room seems broken and dangerous…the desk lamp is broken, you literally can see the wires! The air conditioning is broken and on the floor, with all the wires exposed in the back!!! The flush nob is hanging on the toilet, hard to use.

2. The sheet, towels, bed cover are not clean…and very old…the white towels are yellow!!! There were small blood spot on the bed cover…We didn't want our pajamas to touch it, so we slept with our cloth on…

3. There is no free wifi. But you can pay CAD5.25 for a day…please please don't!! It is just waste of money! Cause the speed of the Internet is terrible!!! 1 example, It took me 2~3 minutes to open the google map…and almost half an hour to watch a 2 minutes video on YouTube…

4. The manager is fine, but the other stuff are not friendly at all…

5. The restaurant in the same building called apple or sth. The service also horrible! And expensive… you can go mark's family restaurant instead here, cheaper, more friendly and food is better in Mark's…just blocks away.

6. The price shows on any travel web, like Expedia, booking.com, even in google map…is a fraud! Will change when you get here… If you from Canada, this is Canadian hotel, you see this hotel on Canadain website, you expect to pay CAD, However, the price shows on the web is USD! we booked the hotel from expedia.ca in Calgary. The rate was CAD137 around. But when we checked in, they told me the rate is actually USD140! So we have to pay CAD147, for the exchange rate. we cannot leave, according to there hotel policy, it was too late to cancel, they would charge us anyway! then you don't have a choice, you have to stay here!

Anyway, don't choice this hotel, if you have any other options! Best option is B&B. Even locals won't recommend hotels…We stayed in bayside B&B for three days and one night in discovery inn…it is like haven and hell…

Room Tip: 1. Everything in the room seems broken and dangerous…the desk lamp is broken, you literally can see...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rouge D

Reviewed 26 November 2011

This hotel is very convenient to stay at, it is close to everything. There is a nearby grocery store, several banks, post office, Western Union and a resturant in the building which has the best chinese food in town! I stayed for work for 4 weeks and I was very happy with the hotel. It was nice to have a fridge in my room because i am a diabetic and the front desk staff is very accommodating because they quickly moved a fridge in my room for me. For a hotel located directly downtown, there was no problems with pretty much everything. My room was very comforatble. I would recommend this hotel and i plan on staying there again the next time i'm in Yellowknife.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
5  Thank Nathan H
Reviewed 19 November 2011

There aren't a lot of options in Yellowknife, and we didn't expect any hotel to be on par with hotels in major cities in the south, but this hotel should be last on your list. Check in and checkout were painful, slow and bureaucratic. There's no elevator, so you carry your stuff up 3 flights of stairs (and so does everyone else while you're sleeping.) The room was old and run down, The bedding not particularly clean. The shower didn't work properly and the building creaked and groaned all night. The fridge in my room was filthy with some growing black stuff. Avoid.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank advisetrip
Reviewed 15 September 2011

The location is excellent. In downtown area. U can go to grocery store, bank, restaurant, post office,..........within 5 - 10 mins. So convenience!!!
the working people are nice & friendly. Especially, the front desk service!!! They are working in 24 hrs. As I know, there are no front desk service in some yellowknife hotel. U cannot contact anyone by the way, if u need help.
The price is fair & I have a good trip overthere

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank gillian c
Reviewed 12 September 2011

I was traveling to yellowknife in the beginning of september on business and planned on staying with my new girlfriend for the week. I ended up having a disagreement with her after the first night and found myself without my wallet nor a place to stay in "YK" as the locals call it. It was a saturday morning and without a credit card "a.k.a. no wallet" for the life of me i couldn't check into a hotel, i tried everywhere and i ended up at this nice, kinda hidden hotel called the Discovery Inn. After talking with the front desk about my situation, a manager came down almost immediately and offered me a $700.00 rate for the week and with no credit card required. I had about $400.00 on me and they gave me a break so that i could pay the remainder next week...THANK GOD for the staff at the Discovery Inn... I wouldn't know what to do if i didn't go there! Thank You so much - Wayne Tornago

Room Tip: Ask for the manager Edward Tse, he is a very reasonable manager!
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 August 2011

The front desk service was friendly and helpful. The room was quiet - 3rd floor-but gross. The walls were dirty; looked like bloody smears on fridge; sheets had cigrette burns on it; tiolet was leaking water; bathroom sink was old and rusted; bathroom tub would not drain properly.
The location was a plus - walking distance to the "mall". Restaurant was right downstairs. This place accepted debit/cash and damage deposit was only $100.00 Minus was the drunks hanging out of the windows - when we drove into the parking lot; drunks hanging around the lobby; the hallsways stunk like B.O. and urine.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Northerntravler_11
Reviewed 7 June 2011

I have just stayed in Yellowknife for 2 weeks for business.I found a weekly rate hotel with good location .Staffs are very friendly.I definitely will recomend my firends staying here.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business