“DON'T STAY HERE”
Review of The Discovery Inn

The Discovery Inn
Ranked #16 of 23 Yellowknife B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 April 2013

I've stayed in nasty hotels before, but not like this one! Rooms dirty and not cleaned any better during my stay. Fiberglass insulation sticking out from around the window. Cleaning [??] cloth left on bathroom floor. Shower worked moderately ok. Bed scary, slept with clothes on. Need to pay for wireless if you want it, unless you go on to a public computer. Desk staff--not pleasant. The entire hotel smelled like cigarette smoke, yet in a non-smoking room. Butts, and piles of them outside the doors.
Next trip up, I will pay for a better place to stay. It's worth my piece of mind.
Oh, they do have a certificate of participation in pest control! That along with the other items mentioned WILL certainly keep me away!

Room Tip: Pay for a nicer room at a different place!
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank 936Frank936

Reviewed 22 February 2013

Stayed for one night.I was unable to find another hotel. If I had I would of run the first night! Room smelt awful bed was made but room had not been cleaned.Drop tile ceiling in bathroom was stained and wet,floor in bathroom had butted out cigarets ground into floor and no soap.Windows were rotten and snow was coming into room! A towel had been rolled up and used to block the wind. Slept in my coat and left as early as I could in the morning.Not a rustic northern hotel , just a poorly maintained and managed dump.

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank Flyingwrench5800
Reviewed 13 January 2013

I stayed here one night after not being able to find a room anywhere else. I tried several other hotels to find they were full due to a large conference being in town and lots of tourists.
I actually took a photo of the bed situation because I was hoping to post it here. The sheets appeared clean however the box spring looked like it had been dragged down the alley and back. Totally stained and ripped up. The towels in the bathroom had snags and ripps and were thin. If I were managment of this place I would replace these things immediatley!

I moved the bed away from the wall and it was something to see. The place could REALLY USE A SCRUB DOWN. Find somewhere else to stay if you can. My advice is to book ahead so you can get a decent place to stay.

That being said the flooring was new, baseboards were unfinished and uncaulked or painted. The water in the shower was hot. Thats about all I can think of that was ideal here. Price was too high for the lack of quality you would expect at any hotel I dont care where its located.

Room Tip: Certain rooms have newer beds. Ask for a 'renovated' room.
Reviewed 1 December 2012

I booked a room at the Discovery Inn through an online service. There was limited choice that week in town, but the price was right. So the Discovery would be next on my list of places to stay at in YK.

First impressions: the place looks a little outdated and worn out. But it certainly did the job, providing me with a good night's rest and all that I require as a business traveller: desk, fast Wi-Fi Internet, kitchenette, cable tv, and adequate bathroom facilities.

The main problem I had: cleanliness. The place was sort of grimy -- everywhere -- even by rustic Yellowknife standards (don't hate me, Yellowknifers... 'cause I love your town!). And after seeing that CBC Marketplace piece on dirty hotels (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2012/11/07/marketplace-dirty-hotels.html), I'm a little warier of hotel room germs.

The bed was quite comfortable and the sheets looked clean (always turn down the top quilt, whatever hotel you stay in -- how often are *those* washed?). There was the odd guest noise from the hallway, but I still slept like a baby. The place was pretty quiet.

The bathroom, like the rest of the place, is simple but practical. The floor is a cheap linoleum with scuff marks and (apparent) cigarette burns. But it seemed clean (no stray hairs or sticky stains). The towels were old and worn, but they were clean and smelled fresh. I don't mind old and worn, but I hate when things are dirty. I didn't find any glaring cleanliness issues with the bathroom (though sometimes the problem is quite invisible). The toilet was fine; clean and had a strong flush (mine had the "water saver" two-button flusher). The bathroom had a good exhaust fan, which should be mandatory in every hotel (not just some passive vent); it kept the mirror from fogging up. The shower was much better than expected, with excellent water temperature (plenty of hot water) and the best water pressure I'd experience in Yellowknife so far. The shower curtain didn't let any water splash or leak out. (Tip to keep the floor dry: stay in the tub while you towel off.) There were a few bars of wrapped soap and some shampoo. The water out of the tap was clean (and tasted fine).

The small kitchen would satisfy all your basic cooking needs (minus an oven): two stove elements, stainless steel sink, microwave oven, and mini fridge. Unfortunately, that fridge was dirty, moldy and mildew-y. It must have been shut off and left closed, which invites this problem. The sink, fridge and stove-top were one single unit, which is a neat space-saver; however, owners need to remember to clean the dust and grime that will accumulate on top of the compressor and other "inside parts" (which are revealed when the loose access door pops open). The microwave was very clean, however, as were the coffee maker and kettle. I didn't use the dishes (they're probably not used very often at all), but they were a little dusty (there was no dish soap, and the kitchen scrub provided was way too grungy for my taste; so the dish-washing situation was not ideal). There were plenty of pots and pans for cooking.

The dining room furniture was adequate for this size of room: two chairs and a dining table. All the furniture matched, but was a little outdated.

Closet space and dresser drawers provided more than enough room for one or two people. There was even a small suitcase table, which is always nice. There was a good-sized office desk, and lamps all over the place. The television was good enough; cable and plenty of channels (flat screen, standard def).

The room had a large, standalone ventilation fan -- great when you want a breeze, or just like the droning noise to sleep to. Heating was just perfect (warm, but not too warm -- and it was -28*C one night). There was a standalone air conditioner for those hot summer days (I'll have to test it out on my next summer visit; but I'm sure it would be sufficient to keep you cool.)

Overall, I was happy with my stay. The friendly staff made up for the griminess. And the place has charm. I didn't even mind hiking up my suitcase two flights of stairs (there's no elevator). You're getting good value for your money (by Yellowknife standards).

I had breakfast twice at the Red Apple Family Restaurant on the hotel's main floor. Very satisfying breakfast at a good price. I hear the Chinese buffet is awesome.

Dear hotel owners, the main thing to improve is the cleanliness. Your cleaners should get a (clean) bucket full of (clean) warm water and disinfectant soap, and wipe down everything that has a hard surface, including furniture, accessories, kitchen appliances, bathroom fixtures, etc. Rinse out the bucket a few times between items, and keep washing til you're done. All dishes (especially drinking vessels, like cups and glasses) should be washed with dish soap (provide one of those little soap bottles for the guest, while you're at it, and a fresh dollar store sponge). Before vacuuming, take a stiff brush to the corner areas to pull out the flecks and dust, to make it easier to vacuum. That fridge needs a good scrub with disinfectant bleach to get rid of all the mold and mildew (unplug it and leave the door open when the room is not in use). Vacuum up the dust that's accumulated over the years on the fridge compressor, and then give it a good wipe with the soap and water. Reach up into the stove exhaust hood and wipe off the grease (and the dust that's stuck to it). Don't forget the top of the hood fan... it looked like it had *never* been washed. In the bathroom, wipe down all surfaces with the disinfectant soap, including all towel racks, bars, toilet paper roll arms, and the top of the light fixture. Too much dust and grime was allowed to accumulate over many months (and probably years).

Room Tip: There is no elevator, so remember to ask for a bottom floor room if you don't like stairs.
3  Thank Fortunado
Reviewed 28 November 2012

Well i came down from Edmonton to visit my daughter, unfortunately i had some financial problems getting to Yellowknife and had to shop around for a decently priced hotel for a week... I called several hotels and was unable to get an affordable price. I have stayed in at the Discovery Inn before and remember that the manager was very courteous and decieded to explain my situation to him. THANK GOD I DID!!! He was able to give me a $500.00 weekly rate to help me out. I was happy that i did stay there, after using the business centre's free internet access to help me look for work and with some help from the manager, i was able to find a part time job at a local gas station which helped me get on my feet and was able to enjoy my trip to "YK" as the locals call it and even bring back some souvenirs. Thank you again soo much!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Jason P
Reviewed 27 November 2012

I stayed in Yellowknife for a week for work, I found that this hotel was okay and not as bad as some of the comments might have suggested. I was supposed to stay at the Explorer Hotel, but they had no rooms available due to some meetings going on. I accidentally stayed at the hotel and I found the price was really good compared to other hotels. Their right downtown closes to my office, a supermarket and of course a liquor store too. I never ate in the hotel’s restaurant, because I like to eat healthily. But I saw a lot of people going in to eat at the restaurant. Definitely I will stay in here again. The staff was very friendly in helping me finding some addresses and locations and even gave me a map which they marked with some of the location for me. After working on Friday, I decided to stay the weekend because there were a lot of tourists staying here for the aurora night tours, which after the helpful front desk staff arranged to have me added to the nightly tours for the northern lights which were by the way, spectacular and I highly recommend if you have the chance to view them!

2  Thank swong77
Reviewed 4 October 2012

1. Everything in the room seems broken and dangerous…the desk lamp is broken, you literally can see the wires! The air conditioning is broken and on the floor, with all the wires exposed in the back!!! The flush nob is hanging on the toilet, hard to use.

2. The sheet, towels, bed cover are not clean…and very old…the white towels are yellow!!! There were small blood spot on the bed cover…We didn't want our pajamas to touch it, so we slept with our cloth on…

3. There is no free wifi. But you can pay CAD5.25 for a day…please please don't!! It is just waste of money! Cause the speed of the Internet is terrible!!! 1 example, It took me 2~3 minutes to open the google map…and almost half an hour to watch a 2 minutes video on YouTube…

4. The manager is fine, but the other stuff are not friendly at all…

5. The restaurant in the same building called apple or sth. The service also horrible! And expensive… you can go mark's family restaurant instead here, cheaper, more friendly and food is better in Mark's…just blocks away.

6. The price shows on any travel web, like Expedia, booking.com, even in google map…is a fraud! Will change when you get here… If you from Canada, this is Canadian hotel, you see this hotel on Canadain website, you expect to pay CAD, However, the price shows on the web is USD! we booked the hotel from expedia.ca in Calgary. The rate was CAD137 around. But when we checked in, they told me the rate is actually USD140! So we have to pay CAD147, for the exchange rate. we cannot leave, according to there hotel policy, it was too late to cancel, they would charge us anyway! then you don't have a choice, you have to stay here!

Anyway, don't choice this hotel, if you have any other options! Best option is B&B. Even locals won't recommend hotels…We stayed in bayside B&B for three days and one night in discovery inn…it is like haven and hell…

Room Tip: 1. Everything in the room seems broken and dangerous…the desk lamp is broken, you literally can see...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple