“Enjoyed my stays, love seeing tourists”
Review of The Discovery Inn

The Discovery Inn
Ranked #15 of 23 Yellowknife B&B and Inns
Ko Chang, Thailand
“Enjoyed my stays, love seeing tourists”
Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

First stayed at this location april of 2013 , found the location to be very convenient and prices to be fair.

I was steered towards looking at other places to stay because of downtowns homeless wandering about , but I feel safe here during every stay.( I come every now and then ) I enjoy the convience of having a restaurant a few steps away for morning breakfast , and the atmosphere tourists bring to the hotel.

The front desk staff first welcomed me with a heartfelt smile that the big city definately lacks. ( I stay in vancouver often and the front desk staff smiles are often robotic and forced. Kinda creepy and humorous at the same time). When I first came I saw a bunch of japanese tourists who were all friendly and I enjoyed seeing them. I caught a few conversations with them , taught them a bit of english and in return learned a bit of Japanese. DEFINATELY, not what I expected. But in a good way, positive experience to make up for a long flight.

The towns gym is close by and other key locations so I just walk everywhere.
If you have a budget or want to be in a central downtown location , i would consider staying here.

Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank WorldLeeWanderer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Sendai-shi, Miyagi, Japan
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We stayed here for 5 nights last winter. The purpose of our visit is just watching the Aurora, so we din't expect much about the hotel. But, the people in the hotel is so friendly that we could have a wonderful time in Yellowknife. The location of the hotel is great. You can go to the famous places in Yellowknife from this hotel. There is a microwave in the room ,so we can have a Japanse style dish using it. And also we can have hot water. There's hot water in front of the desk. Near the hotel, you can easily find comfortable restaurants, supermarket, liquor shop and so on. We want to stay here one more time if we will have a chance to see the Aurora.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank chiroru5
Campbell River, BC
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Stayed overnight..room was filthy. Beds had pieces of wood holding up the frame. Bathroom ceiling and walls stained. Mattresses water stained on the sides, afraid to get into bed. Walls dirty. My shoes actually stuck to the carpet when I walked in. Lots of Japanese tourists stay there and I am ambarrased that this is the immpression of Canada that will take away. The carpets in the hallways had not been vacuumed...I could go on and on.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank DHinatsu

Travellers are raving about these Yellowknife hotels

Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 23 April 2013

Me and my family were overnighting in Yellowknife and was unable to find a room on short notice. We managed to call the Discovery Inn and thankfully they had room available. I enjoyed my stay here and found that the room was clean and cozy. The front desk staff were very helpful in helping me find restaurants and even provided directions and a local map. I was happy all around, unlike some of the other reviews, my room was clean and well maintained. Thank You Discovery Inn!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank tony k
West Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed 17 April 2013

I've stayed in nasty hotels before, but not like this one! Rooms dirty and not cleaned any better during my stay. Fiberglass insulation sticking out from around the window. Cleaning [??] cloth left on bathroom floor. Shower worked moderately ok. Bed scary, slept with clothes on. Need to pay for wireless if you want it, unless you go on to a public computer. Desk staff--not pleasant. The entire hotel smelled like cigarette smoke, yet in a non-smoking room. Butts, and piles of them outside the doors.
Next trip up, I will pay for a better place to stay. It's worth my piece of mind.
Oh, they do have a certificate of participation in pest control! That along with the other items mentioned WILL certainly keep me away!

Room Tip: Pay for a nicer room at a different place!
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank 936Frank936
Reviewed 22 February 2013

Stayed for one night.I was unable to find another hotel. If I had I would of run the first night! Room smelt awful bed was made but room had not been cleaned.Drop tile ceiling in bathroom was stained and wet,floor in bathroom had butted out cigarets ground into floor and no soap.Windows were rotten and snow was coming into room! A towel had been rolled up and used to block the wind. Slept in my coat and left as early as I could in the morning.Not a rustic northern hotel , just a poorly maintained and managed dump.

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank Flyingwrench5800
Alberta
Reviewed 13 January 2013

I stayed here one night after not being able to find a room anywhere else. I tried several other hotels to find they were full due to a large conference being in town and lots of tourists.
I actually took a photo of the bed situation because I was hoping to post it here. The sheets appeared clean however the box spring looked like it had been dragged down the alley and back. Totally stained and ripped up. The towels in the bathroom had snags and ripps and were thin. If I were managment of this place I would replace these things immediatley!

I moved the bed away from the wall and it was something to see. The place could REALLY USE A SCRUB DOWN. Find somewhere else to stay if you can. My advice is to book ahead so you can get a decent place to stay.

That being said the flooring was new, baseboards were unfinished and uncaulked or painted. The water in the shower was hot. Thats about all I can think of that was ideal here. Price was too high for the lack of quality you would expect at any hotel I dont care where its located.

Room Tip: Certain rooms have newer beds. Ask for a 'renovated' room.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business