“A Place To Sleep.”

Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Yellowknife
Norman Wells
“A Place To Sleep.”
Reviewed 23 February 2013

I stayed at the Nova for 2 nights and booked here due to the proximity to the hospital. The hotel was clean, the staff was very friendly. I loved the idea of 2 independent elevators across from one another with the lighted numbers so you had an idea how long the elevator was going to take to arrive. The halls were clean, and my room was very clean and I am meticulous when checking for bugs! The bathroom was spotless, a beautiful deep tub, and very nice amenities. The towels were very absorbent, and the tv had a nice selection of channels. So on first sight, I thought I would be very happy here...I wasn't.
The bed and bedding were not what I would classify as hotel worthy. The bed was very uncomfortable and the bedding was scratchy and thin. Every time you moved on the bed, it hit the wall, and no matter what you did, couldn't get this to stop. I could hear the people on the other side of the wall must have been having the same issue. You could hear people using the bathroom in the other room, their phone ringing and even parts of their conversations. Very poorly insulated. People were running up and down my hall the second night and there were two women fighting, so there was no sleep to be had the 2nd night.
The door in my room caught all the time and I had to kick it or slam it in order to get that 2nd click so I knew that my door was closed and had to hold the door in just the right spot to get the deadbolt to move. The thermostats are not consistent, so you may be in a room and set the thermostat to 25 so you can keep your room at 18, or you set it at 18 to keep it at 25. I never did figure mine out. My room was designated as a non-smoking room, but I could smell smoke and I am highly sensitive to it.
The rooms don't come equipped with small frigs or microwaves but I could pay for an upgrade to the suite so I could have a kitchen with frig and stove. I don't need that for just 2 nights, but a small frig for medications, water and yogurt would be nice. I had a coffemaker, but no coffee and when I asked for some, was told there was a charge of $1.50/package.
The topper, was they don't have wireless internet. They do have wired internet, and you have to give them a deposit of $20 for the cord. (They already have a cc deposit FOR the room). Even wired, the connection is so slow most pages time out before you can get a page loaded. Thank goodness I didn't have much work to do or brought my tablet or I wouldn't have been able to access it at all, which isn't good for the average business traveler anymore.
So if you are looking for a clean, basic hotel, close to the hospital, Wal-mart and Tim Horton's, and don't care about continental breakfast, listening to your neighbour snore or use the bathroom, and you don't need a frig, don't want to have to upgrade to a suite, or need the internet, then I would recommend it. But there is another hotel located almost next door, which is almost the same price, completely non-smoking, with better insulation between the rooms, a free breakfast, a frig/microwave and excellent Internet and that is where I will be staying next month.

Room Tip: To get a frig you must upgrade to the suites. This hotel offers smoking rooms so be sure to designa...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Rosesicles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Travellers also viewed these Yellowknife hotels
Explorer Hotel
Capital Suites Yellowknife
Capital Suites Yellowknife
#6 of 10 in Yellowknife
Quality Inn & Suites Yellowknife

Been to Stanton Suites Hotel? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Stanton Suites Hotel

Property: Stanton Suites Hotel
Address: 476 Range Lake Road, Yellowknife, Northwest Territories X1A 3Z3, Canada (Formerly Nova Court Hotel & Suites)
Region: Canada > Northwest Territories > Yellowknife
Fitness Centre with Gym / Workout Room Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Pets Allowed ( Dog / Pet Friendly ) Suites Wheelchair access Airport Transportation
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Yellowknife
Price Range (Based on Average Rates): ££
Hotel Class:3 star — Stanton Suites Hotel 3*
For A Perfect Stay In Yellowknife Nova Court is a four story apartment property which consists of 107 suites, including 72 one-bedroom suites and 35 two-bedroom suites. 54 Units are furnished for short-term rental. The property also contains approximately 8,400 square feet of commercial space on the main floor. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your Stanton Suites Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.