“Extreme noise in connected rooms”

Stanton Suites Hotel
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Yellowknife
Red Deer, Canada
“Extreme noise in connected rooms”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2014

Location, cleanliness, friendly staff are agreeable with other comments here. I had a sleepless night yesterday in this hotel (Room 206) My company booked room for me and the hotel gave me a room with a door connecting to next room which is locked. The occupant in that room did not sleep until next day morning until 3-4 AM with his TV on in extreme high noise. Since the room is connected with a door, the noise level was very high. In addition, every 10 minutes there is a noise coming out from some part of the room, sounds like water dripping and it accumulates some where and again producing severe noise- sounds like some one knocking on your door. I complained to the front desk and the guy over there ( He was so polite) replied he will try to resolve these issues. I had to contact him again after some time to remind my concern. He came to my room and found the annoying noise. He offered me a different room, but it was around 4;00AM, I I stayed in this same noisy room. I have to stay again in this hotel next week. Requested them to avoid issuing this same room. Hope for the best. Another thing, there is no restaurant in this hotel.

Room Tip: Get a room except 206 or don't go for a room with door connected to next room.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank RAJKRISHNAN_72

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Toronto, Ontario
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2013

The hotel is conveniently located directly beside the hospital. They share the same entrance road. If you are without a vehicle and it is winter, I highly suggest this due to close proximity. Note that the hotel does not have a website for booking.

Rooms – I was on the first floor. I believe that there are condos on the upper floors for residence. The room was spacious - the bed comfortable - the WiFi worked - HBO was included on the television – the room was clean and seemed fairly new or had been renovated recently.

Amenities – there is no restaurant, conference room, pool, or bar at this hotel. However, there is access to a gym (I did not use this). You are directly across the parking lot from a grocery store. There are many shops across the street and around the corner: McDonald’s, Tim Horton’s, Walmart. As the other’s mentioned there are many places to walk to grab food.
I would use the same hotel again, if my main visit was for medical reasons.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Kamloops, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2013

Had to come to Yellowknife for medical reasons; the hotel is close to the hospital. Stayed there for six nights. Staff was friendly. Rooms were clean and comfortable.
The location is also close to many stores and places to eat (coffee, pizza, subs, etc.) A bit far from downtown, but there is a walking trail closeby to the hospital that takes you around Frame Lake avoiding traffic. It takes about 20-25 minutes to walk downtown.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Norman Wells
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2013

I stayed at the Nova for 2 nights and booked here due to the proximity to the hospital. The hotel was clean, the staff was very friendly. I loved the idea of 2 independent elevators across from one another with the lighted numbers so you had an idea how long the elevator was going to take to arrive. The halls were clean, and my room was very clean and I am meticulous when checking for bugs! The bathroom was spotless, a beautiful deep tub, and very nice amenities. The towels were very absorbent, and the tv had a nice selection of channels. So on first sight, I thought I would be very happy here...I wasn't.
The bed and bedding were not what I would classify as hotel worthy. The bed was very uncomfortable and the bedding was scratchy and thin. Every time you moved on the bed, it hit the wall, and no matter what you did, couldn't get this to stop. I could hear the people on the other side of the wall must have been having the same issue. You could hear people using the bathroom in the other room, their phone ringing and even parts of their conversations. Very poorly insulated. People were running up and down my hall the second night and there were two women fighting, so there was no sleep to be had the 2nd night.
The door in my room caught all the time and I had to kick it or slam it in order to get that 2nd click so I knew that my door was closed and had to hold the door in just the right spot to get the deadbolt to move. The thermostats are not consistent, so you may be in a room and set the thermostat to 25 so you can keep your room at 18, or you set it at 18 to keep it at 25. I never did figure mine out. My room was designated as a non-smoking room, but I could smell smoke and I am highly sensitive to it.
The rooms don't come equipped with small frigs or microwaves but I could pay for an upgrade to the suite so I could have a kitchen with frig and stove. I don't need that for just 2 nights, but a small frig for medications, water and yogurt would be nice. I had a coffemaker, but no coffee and when I asked for some, was told there was a charge of $1.50/package.
The topper, was they don't have wireless internet. They do have wired internet, and you have to give them a deposit of $20 for the cord. (They already have a cc deposit FOR the room). Even wired, the connection is so slow most pages time out before you can get a page loaded. Thank goodness I didn't have much work to do or brought my tablet or I wouldn't have been able to access it at all, which isn't good for the average business traveler anymore.
So if you are looking for a clean, basic hotel, close to the hospital, Wal-mart and Tim Horton's, and don't care about continental breakfast, listening to your neighbour snore or use the bathroom, and you don't need a frig, don't want to have to upgrade to a suite, or need the internet, then I would recommend it. But there is another hotel located almost next door, which is almost the same price, completely non-smoking, with better insulation between the rooms, a free breakfast, a frig/microwave and excellent Internet and that is where I will be staying next month.

Room Tip: To get a frig you must upgrade to the suites. This hotel offers smoking rooms so be sure to designa...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business