“A great all around base place”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Narwal B&B

Narwal B&B
Ranked #7 of 23 Yellowknife B&B and Inns
Edmonton, Canada
“A great all around base place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

My husband & I brought our bikes to Yellowknife for 4 nights. We had good instructions by email prior to arriving (booking.com). We were greeted by a friendly girl (Rachel) who gave us a quick overview of the room/facilities.
We stayed in the family room on the main floor. Huge window gave us a great view of bay, and many other windows allowed us to enjoy the 19hrs of daylight. The room darkening curtains helped us sleep for those of the sunny hours that we wanted to, as well as provided privacy from the activity around the Adventure activities that were provided by the same owner.
The room was obviously newly renovated, with nice new everything! There is a minifridge, microwave, dishes, kettle, coffee maker and thoughtful food items placed in the drawers. The bathroom is brand new with a great shower. There are shelves to put your clothes on, as well as hooks & hangers, and a boot tray. The room locks, & we never felt any concern regarding our valuables.
The free wifi is excellent, with superior connectivity to that in major hotels.
The common area is thoughtfully inclusive of games/videos etc, although there is a tv & VHS/DVD player in our room. The kitchen is well stocked & clean. We enjoyed the Family Room especially as we felt it was complete and had everything we needed.
The owner has easy going dogs whom we fell in love with, and runs a kayak/canoe business, http://www.narwal.ca/, which we utilized for a wonderful day in a tandem kayak ($55/day). She also offers a kayak camp for kids that made us wish we had brought OUR boys to join in!
We enjoyed seeing the major popular tourist destinations without a vehicle, as we had brought our bikes. There are also reasonably good roads for fellow road bikers, that are easy to access from this B&B albeit via a short gravel road.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Family Room. Not sure about the others.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank MumJakeShy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Korean first
Kaohsiung, Taiwan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2013

Members at B&B are thoughtful and friendly. Cathy left me a note on the front door window before I arrived. She showed me the map and told me where to go to explore Yellowknife. The roads and trails were all covered with snow. I was not familiar with the road condition. So it happened, my rental car was stuck in the snow, in the open area in front of the B&B. Rachel and Deven helped me to get it out. (Appreciated, still!) I stay at the B&B for two nights and was lucky to see the aurora the second day just outside the B&B. The Lake is just an outside view. There is less light pollution than others places in town. It is highly recommended to stay at Narwal B&B for your vocation. I love their lovely & playful dogs, too!
這家民宿外面是就是大奴湖,所以光害很少,很適合看極光。民宿很乾淨,沒有什麼異味,離室區也不遠,很方便,強力推薦這家B&B.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank Ben_Kao
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2012

We arrived at what was supposed to be as nice B&B as many others in which we have been before. Instead of a manager, we were welcomed by a guest who barely spoke English and who told us that our "familly room" was the one just beside the front door. She managed to say that the B&B’s owner was absent on a hunting trip and would be back in 3 days. I still don't know if the scene was from a thriller or comedy: the room was dirty and hot, with 4 giant flies disputing the extremely dirty window. The beds had not been made and the sheets and blankets were used by someone else. The furniture, except for the sofa, was “outdated”, to say it in a kind way. The walls and the floors were in visible plywood. Exposed wires were crossing the floor and ceiling. After 5 minutes trying to figure out if the scene was real or a nightmare, we managed to talk to other guests and get the phone number of the owner's daughter, who was very kind and came immediately to change the bed linen. We had previously confirmed at what time and in which flight we would arrive.
The door of the room was just beside the front door, and without a reception area, people visiting the house and trying to rent kaiaks or whatever, usually took the wrong door and entered our room. By the way, the door of our room was broken, was noisy and had no keys!! I found this very ironic because in the reservation we signed, a disclaimer states that guests are responsible for their belongings during the stay. The "bed" was actually "bad", and the breakfast...well, no breakfast. Instead, you have a small kitchen with some outdated and dirty kitchenware. You can find regular coffee and maybe a muffin or a quiche. The washroom is inside of the kitchen, so it is very common to find a toothbrush on the kitchen table, or on the microwave...disgusting. Also, the mentioned washroom has a strong smell of mold. Prepare to wait in line in the morning. We were out of water while the owner was hunting, because water in Yellowknife is served by trucks, but since the owner was absent she could not have taken care of this detail. I felt like I was camping!
Not to mention the lousy environment, with people speaking out loud no matter when and dogs barking night and day.
I wondered if this was the "standard" in Yellowknife, because we had heard that everything in the city is expensive. After 3 nights in this nightmare, we moved to another B&B and realized that, for our luck, Narwal is not the “standard way of hosting” in Yellowknife; you can find wonderful B&B’s, which are even less expensive.
Maybe Narwal is good for adventure activities, but as a B&B I would not recommend it even to my enemies.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
11 Thank ErikaB_Canada
Cathy A, Owner at Narwal B&B, responded to this review, 30 January 2014
Dear Erica,

As a newcomer to Trip Advisor I have only yesterday read the guest response that you posted back in September of 2012. I am so sorry, Erica, that your stay with us did not meet your expectations. As you mentioned, I was away at the time, spending a few days camping with my son before he returned to school. As a single mother, I cherish these rare opportunities, and had made arrangements in advance for someone to look after things for me while I was away. Unfortunately, this arrangement did not turn out as planned.

The good news is that your stay with us was over a year ago now, and since that time the room has undergone a complete transformation. The drywall on the walls (which was never plywood, by the way) has been re-painted. New flooring has been set down. The room now has its own private ensuite, complete with tiled shower stall. A new door has been installed and the building leveled. (This was the reason the door did not properly latch at the time.) The Family Room now has a kitchen nook complete with table and chairs, microwave, coffee maker and fridge, and a comfy new queen sized bed. In essence, the room is now completely self-contained, and there is no need to mingle with other guests if one chooses not to.

Running out of water rarely happens; however for the past year now I have made arrangements with the water delivery company for one extra scheduled fill-up per week.

Also, when I am out of town, I make arrangements for my dogs to stay elsewhere.

I would like to assure you, Erica, and other potential future guests, that the issues you raised have been dealt with, except perhaps for the presence of the occasional house fly since these are impossible to completely eradicate in Northern climes in summer.

I encourage you all to come and experience our Family Room which is truly a lovely place to stay, with spectacular views of the majestic Great Slave Lake in summer and the Aurora Borealis in winter.

Kind regards,