“HOUSEKEEPING & OTHER PROBLEMS”

Capital Suites Yellowknife
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Yellowknife
Sahuarita, Arizona, United States
“HOUSEKEEPING & OTHER PROBLEMS”
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Housekeeper walked in without knocking, saw me turned around and never came back to clean room. Another day, emptied trash, made bed, left room -- no new towels novacuum. Front desk staff never smiles

Room Tip: Get one of the bigger rooms, standards are way too small.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Monterey Park, California
Reviewed 23 March 2014

I was in Room 308 for one week to see the auroras and the room was quite clean. I usually judge a room by the clean white sheets and the bathroom. Both lived to my expectations. The lobby and registration area had a clean simple look. My room had a Keurig coffee maker. If you go downstairs, you have more of a selection like lemon tea and Starbucks. I supplied my room with those selections. I couldn't figure why my back started hurting and it was because of the chair in the room. It felt like I was sitting on wires. The chair needs to be reupholstered with a more cushiony bottom. There were 2 days where the room was only partially serviced. The trash was taken out, however the bed was not made on Wednesday and Friday. As far as convenience goes, the hotel is about five blocks from the center of town. Most of the restaurants and the one supermarket are downtown, so you do have to walk to get to any of them. Even though it was a non smoking room, I can still smell smoke from the 1st floor. They might consider leaving the non smoking floors on the bottom, and the smoking floors on top as "hot air rises". There is a free shuttle to and from the airport in Yellowknife.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Kitchener, Canada
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Was in Yellowknife in October and June/July for work and they booked me into this hotel. Nice place that felt like a home away from home while there for an extended stay. I had one of the apartment suites and it was nice to have a separate living area. The bed was AMAZING! One of my coworkers is planning to buy that exact bed as he enjoyed his sleep that much. The internet was sometimes slow, but I'm not sure if that was the hotel's problem or the service in YK. Front desk staff are super friendly and willing to help out where they can. Rooms were extremely clean!!!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Fort Simpson, Canada
Reviewed 18 January 2014

Room108 was clean, and bed was comfortable. Small fridge and microwave were added advantages, BUT the room was UNBEARABLY HOT even with a portable air cooling system going full blast all night. This is a problem that Management was well aware of, and a 10% discount off the full fare cost on a future stay was offered, but in my opinion is minimal compensation for such an unpleasant experience.

Room Tip: Pick a room that has a thermostat in the room.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 6 January 2014

My stay in Capital Suites was really comfortable, and homely. I am staying in a suite and it is really nice and big. We have a great stay. Trish is very helpful and accommodating. Despite some administrative hiccups on my side, she readily helps us to resolve the issue. Really appreciate her effort to go the extra mile. It will definitely be my stay for my next trip to Yellowknife.

Can't comment on the swimming pool as I have no way to check it out at -42 deg outside.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Glen D, Manager at Capital Suites Yellowknife, responded to this review, 15 January 2014
Thank You Vogaris for such a positive review for the Capital Suites Yellowknife. Yes we agree with you our 1 & 2 Bedroom suites are very comfortable & spacious which have full kitchens with 5 appliances, seperate bedrooms with a nice size washroom & a fair size livingroom space . We encourage all our staff to be accomodating & resourceful in any assistance they may offer to any of our guests at the Hotel, thank you for acknowledging one of our newest members to the staff Trish & how she was able to assist you during your stay at the Capital Suites Yellowknife. We have passed on your comments & thanked Trish for her assistance in helping you to resolve your issues. By the way we have no pool but do offer a small fitness centre available to all guests during thier stay At the Capital Suites Yellowknife. Again we Thank you for your review & we look forward to your next visit.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Capital Suites Yellowknife was great!
The staff were helpful and friendly, like arriving at someone's home, the rooms were top notch. The room and its amenities were as nice or nicer (and all in proper working order)..
The lobby also had a guest computer and a nice coffee maker, the convenience of this was also greatly appreciated.

Location wise:
For someone like me travelling in business trip, Capital Suites is a big plus, as I used to come back to my room between my meetings breaks,
The manager Ali Mirza & the front office staff were very courteous.

So, don't miss all of this :)

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Thank You for your enthusiastic review Hani l. The Management & Staff at the Capital Suites have been working hard on the cleanliness & guest service response that the guest receives at the Hotel. We believe our location works well for our guest's, just a 5 minute walk to downtown Yellowknife but away from all the downtown traffic & noise. It helps that all our rooms have some form of cooking appliance, our 1 & 2 bedroom suites have full kitchens & our standard/studio suites have a micowave.Some of our rooms have the small Kuerig coffee makers however we do offer a much larger capacity Kuerig coffee maker in the Lobby area which is available to all guests.For guests that prefer to not carry their laptops with them yes we do indeed offer a computer with internet access in our lobby & a small bar fridge, hope to offer more than one at some point. Again we thank you for your stay & review & look forward to your return Hani l.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 6 December 2013

The Capital Suites in Yellowknife offers a nice alternative to hotels in a slightly better location. If you don't mind walking a few minutes (at -20C or so) you should consider them.

First off, the front-desk staff is one the friendliest and most helpful I have ever encountered in my travels. They took a genuine interest to help us out finding winter gear to protect us from the cold. If it wasn't for them we would have become icicles frozen for a thousands years just to be uncovered by aliens in 5012 AD.

I stayed in the one-bed room suite at about US$180 a night (including all fees and taxes). Given the location I think it's a fair price. It had a nice kitchenette and living room. The room was a bit dated, but then again it's Yellowknife and not Las Vegas. My only complaint was the cleaning lady did a lousy job cleaning up the room, but maybe she/he just a bad day or two, or three. Oh and I was able to see the Aurora Borealis right out of my living room window, but I will need to thank Mother Nature for this.

As for the location, it's not the best if you want to go out. You will need to walk 10-15 minutes to get to restaurants and bars. This may sound easy, but when it's really really really cold outside it feels a long time.

Lastly, there is a free shuttle to airport - take it and save on an expensive cab ride.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Glen D, Manager at Capital Suites Yellowknife, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Thank you for your great review & sharing your comments on your stay with us Marcel B. I'm glad that you enjoyed the Spacious Rooms & our quiet location on the outskirts of Downtown Yellowknife .We believe we are an excellent alternative for those who do not wish to eat out every night, as we offer our Suites with Fully equipped Kitchens so they may cook in the comfort of thier room. I apologize about any issue's you may have had with the cleanliness of your room and have brought your comments/concerns to the attention of our Housekeeping Supervisor & all of our Housekeeper's. We have been working hard towards insuring a clean room but if it is not provided we need the assistance of the guest in letting us know on the day it happens so we may address the issue as soon as possible. Thank you again for your feedback & look forward to welcoming you back.