“Very disappointing.”

Capital Suites Yellowknife
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Yellowknife
Reviewed 28 April 2014

When I reserved this trip through Travelocity, the reviews about the "suites" were really great. I wasn't expecting anything fancy so I feel my expectations weren't unrealistic. I can't say whether it was the Travelocity choices but only one choice came up for a room. When a hotel is called "Capital Suites" you expect that's what you would be getting. Wrong. Our room was so small that I'm shocked they don't just use it for storage. There was barely enough room to walk between the bed and the desk. The only place to sit was on the bed as it would be a stretch to pull out the chair at the desk. I ended up just using it as a place for my suitcase. A few days into our stay, we discovered that there were actual suites there but we tried to not let it ruin our trip as the focus was the auroras. Then we were treated to sprinkler repair men right outside our door almost every morning during our stay. When you're up late watching auroras, it's not fun to have people banging on pipes and unloading all of their tools in the hallway very early in the morning. And to top it off, the heat was overworking so you couldn't turn it down in the rooms. It just stayed one temperature (very hot) the entire time. The front desk said it's usually not like that. We didn't expect to be that warm during our stay but it almost made going outside in the negative temperatures refreshing. Surprisingly, the workout room was amazing! The hotel staff was (mostly) nice but I will not be staying here when I come back to Yellowknife.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Capital Suites Yellowknife

Reviewed 28 April 2014

The location isn't that bad though!
The room is clean, no smell.
We can hear someone arguing next to our room :(
When we asked for late check-out, the Asian-look guy didn't allow us to do so. We tried to ask the other guy, they accepted. It would help a lot if the hotel has this arrangement and I believe most hotels do.
We spent 3 nites there. We put the door tag requesting room cleaning, the trash bin was clean on the 1st day but not the 2nd and 3rd day. The towel that we requested to clean, no one took it away throughout our stay. Need improvement!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Housekeeper walked in without knocking, saw me turned around and never came back to clean room. Another day, emptied trash, made bed, left room -- no new towels novacuum. Front desk staff never smiles

Room Tip: Get one of the bigger rooms, standards are way too small.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 March 2014

I was in Room 308 for one week to see the auroras and the room was quite clean. I usually judge a room by the clean white sheets and the bathroom. Both lived to my expectations. The lobby and registration area had a clean simple look. My room had a Keurig coffee maker. If you go downstairs, you have more of a selection like lemon tea and Starbucks. I supplied my room with those selections. I couldn't figure why my back started hurting and it was because of the chair in the room. It felt like I was sitting on wires. The chair needs to be reupholstered with a more cushiony bottom. There were 2 days where the room was only partially serviced. The trash was taken out, however the bed was not made on Wednesday and Friday. As far as convenience goes, the hotel is about five blocks from the center of town. Most of the restaurants and the one supermarket are downtown, so you do have to walk to get to any of them. Even though it was a non smoking room, I can still smell smoke from the 1st floor. They might consider leaving the non smoking floors on the bottom, and the smoking floors on top as "hot air rises". There is a free shuttle to and from the airport in Yellowknife.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Was in Yellowknife in October and June/July for work and they booked me into this hotel. Nice place that felt like a home away from home while there for an extended stay. I had one of the apartment suites and it was nice to have a separate living area. The bed was AMAZING! One of my coworkers is planning to buy that exact bed as he enjoyed his sleep that much. The internet was sometimes slow, but I'm not sure if that was the hotel's problem or the service in YK. Front desk staff are super friendly and willing to help out where they can. Rooms were extremely clean!!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 January 2014

Room108 was clean, and bed was comfortable. Small fridge and microwave were added advantages, BUT the room was UNBEARABLY HOT even with a portable air cooling system going full blast all night. This is a problem that Management was well aware of, and a 10% discount off the full fare cost on a future stay was offered, but in my opinion is minimal compensation for such an unpleasant experience.

Room Tip: Pick a room that has a thermostat in the room.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 January 2014

My stay in Capital Suites was really comfortable, and homely. I am staying in a suite and it is really nice and big. We have a great stay. Trish is very helpful and accommodating. Despite some administrative hiccups on my side, she readily helps us to resolve the issue. Really appreciate her effort to go the extra mile. It will definitely be my stay for my next trip to Yellowknife.

Can't comment on the swimming pool as I have no way to check it out at -42 deg outside.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Glen D, Manager at Capital Suites Yellowknife, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2014

Thank You Vogaris for such a positive review for the Capital Suites Yellowknife. Yes we agree with you our 1 & 2 Bedroom suites are very comfortable & spacious which have full kitchens with 5 appliances, seperate bedrooms with a nice size washroom & a fair size livingroom space . We encourage all our staff to be accomodating & resourceful in any assistance they may offer to any of our guests at the Hotel, thank you for acknowledging one of our newest members to the staff Trish & how she was able to assist you during your stay at the Capital Suites Yellowknife. We have passed on your comments & thanked Trish for her assistance in helping you to resolve your issues. By the way we have no pool but do offer a small fitness centre available to all guests during thier stay At the Capital Suites Yellowknife. Again we Thank you for your review & we look forward to your next visit.