“It's Yellowknife”

Ranked #21 of 23 Yellowknife B&B and Inns
Brandon, Canada
“It's Yellowknife”
Reviewed 29 September 2011

Yeah, this was pretty much what I had expected. I think if you are just passing thru and don't plan on spending a lot of time in the room it's fine. This is not a honeymoon place by any means. The hotel is across the street from a nice big soccer field, where you can run and do some calesthenics if you want. The downtown is about a 8 min walk, but Il be honest there is not much there. There are live-ins at the hotel and I think that is the hotels main business.

Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank Stimpson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Moose Jaw, Canada
Reviewed 20 September 2011

THe place looked okay from the outside. The person at reception appeared to be from another planet. The office is closed at 9 pm so if something goes wrong you are on your own. Some of the people hanging around seemed to be locals maybe living at the Arnica regularly. The microwave was on the floor in our room and the base board heaters were filthy and when I went to have my shower there were several very long black hairs on the walls (not ours) but it was after nine so I just didnt shower. They tried to fix this place up but cleanliness is priority for me and this place rated 0 in that department. Carpet was new and clean but the rest ......OH THE BEDS WERE COMFORTABLE!!!!

Room Tip: Look for a new place most renovated ones just dont cut it! Also the way you are treated a the front...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Yellowknife hotels

Reviewed 4 September 2011

Me and some friends came to yellow knife for a fun weekend, hang out and have a good time... We started at the yellow knife in, we had our issues with it so we decided to try out the arnica.... Big mistake! The night went okay other then some serious cleanliness issues which included dirty mirrors, dirty fridge and just basic sanitation issues all over (cigarette burns in bed ect.) this all was small compared to what happened in the morning when we woke up, we were out of T.P usually a pretty quick fix!... Nope all they had at the front was cleenex? Which was rediculous its a hotel! Then after this we proceeded to find out the hot water was out, so at this time we are pissed! Spending 150$ for a room with nothing but a mess and problems, so we decide spending the next night somewhere else would be best, after this we find 1/2 eaten chicken wings under the bed, we were so disgusted with the lack of service, lack of cleanliness and professionalism we are staying at the super 8 always a good time there. All n all, never again!

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank Hayrivertom
Reviewed 24 June 2011

I stayed here on business with a co-worker who stayed in a separate room and had a very similar experience. Upon arriving, parking was very limited and I'm fairly certain that where I parked was not an actual spot, just the only space left.

Upon getting my room key, I was told that one of the doors to the rooms didn't work, one probably wouldn't work and the last probably would work. The final door was the only one that worked, but didn't latch closed unless pulled on, which presented a bit of a security concern.

We walked into the hallway where it was approximately 40 degrees. We realized that this is because all of the air conditioning units (one in each room) vent to the closed hallway. The room, however, was nice and cool but was not very clean. The carpets were not clean (toenail clippings, bobbypins and skittles?) and a stain on the boxspring that was previously noted in a tripadvisor review from 2009. My co-worker's room sported hair in between the sheets and the blanket and pistachio shells strewn all over the floor. The deadbolt to that room didn't lock and there was a hole that had been drilled through the floor that appeared to have a kleenex stuffed inside.

We decided not to partake in the continental breakfast offered.

On the upside, there was free wi-fi (which comes with a caveat of being charged for the downloading of "large files") and the location is alright, walking distance from old town and downtown.

Overall, not comfortable, did not inspire a sense of security and generally not very clean.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
San Diego
Reviewed 17 August 2010

The positives: well equipped room, comfortable bed, reasonable price (for Yellowknife, which is expensive!), good air conditioning system. Problems: seems like lazy management, I'm guessing the person at the desk might be the owner's daughter or something who doesn't take her job too seriously. I couldn't get them to give me a wake up call, the girl wasn't very friendly when I checked in. When I woke up at 4:30 AM to go to the airport I could see that the doors to the place where wide open and unmonitored, so anyone could wander into the hotel and break into a room or something.

Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
Canada
Reviewed 9 October 2009

I chose to stay at the Arnica because the website made it look like a clean, modern business hotel and the rates were good. Unfortunately, the website is misleading.

The website claims that the hotel offers:
o free wireless internet - it was "down" for both nights I stayed there
o new voicemail phone system - I had two people call me. One got no answer at least twice and one left a message on this supposed system which I never received.
o air conditioning - this is a giant standing unit by your door with big hoses going out of the room into the hall.
o handicap accessible - this is absolutely false for anything on the second floor. There is no elevator.
o "comfort's cafe" - there is a small room with tables and chairs where they serve continental breakfast, but when I asked about the lunch/dinner options she said they don't serve any food apart from the continental breakfast. On the upside, the breakfast (toast, cereal) was fine.
o business centre - I was told this was also "down". How can a business centre be down? it says it's a boardroom with a printer.
o 24 hour front desk - leave yourself extra time to bang on the locked front doors if you are leaving for a 6 am flight. I had to bang and bang, then walked around to see if I could get into the check-in area somehow (it's not connected to the hotel). Eventually someone looking very sleepy showed up.

For those with mobility issues, there is no elevator. If your room is on the second floor you have to drag your luggage outside, around the building, through the security doors and up the stairs. Although I managed this on my own I found it odd that the hotel staff didn't even offer to help me with my luggage when I was clearly bogged down with three bags (and just alone).

More importantly I felt very unsafe in this hotel. When I first checked in they gave me a room (212) that had clearly either been broken into or had an attempt had been made. There was wood chipped away all around the lock so much so that you could see the metal door plate.

When I went downstairs to ask for another room I was given room 203 which appeared to be fine. It even had a little fridge and microwave. Again, old, but clean and ok. However after spending a night in one of the beds I bent down the next morning only to discover what appear to be blood stains on the box spring. I actually took photos I was so shocked. I checked the mattress in disgust but didn't find anything on the mattress itself. Finally on the morning I checked out I found that someone had smashed in the glass window of the "security" door.

Overall a creepy, older hotel with little to bad service. Not somewhere I would ever recommend to a female travelling alone.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled solo
Charlottetown
Reviewed 19 February 2009

I recently spent three nights at the Arnica Inn and truly enjoyed my experience. The front desk staff were very helpful with all my requirements. I stayed in a two bedroom unit that was very clean; I found my bed to be very comfortable. I would recommend the hotel to anyone staying in the area.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled on business