Arnica Inn
US$164
US$99
US$96
Travelocity
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 26 September 2012

I stayed at a recently renovated room and found it well appointed and comfortable. The bed was nice and firm, the sheets were high quality and the pillows were soft. The wireless worked well and was able to connect without trouble. I enjoyed the fact it was no smoking. I like the fact that my room was on the first floor and could keep an eye on my car.

I was happy with the selection of the breakfast items. and the room was clean and organized.

I would recommend staying at this hotel if you are coming to Yellowknife and want a clean safe place to stay.

Room Tip: If you are a smoker ask for a room on the first floor you can go right out your door and they have nice chairs to use.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Robert M
Reviewed 31 August 2012

Here for a few days as a result of another hotel messing up our reservation. Basic old-style motor hotel with some upgrades, kitchenette was actually pretty decent, and the place was spotless, if a little frayed. If you want a concierge, go elsewhere, but if you want a basic place to stay with good cable selection and wireless, this place is surprisingly good value for the dollar.Also, you're a 10 minute walk to Downtown and oldtown, so great spot if you're not driving. Only complaint was the fry pan in my kitchenette was pretty much beat, but I'm sure thy'll fix it, as I know they read Trip Advisor.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 1 June 2012

Every time I visit Yellowknife I stay in a different place. On this latest occasion it was the Arnica Inn's turn. I made the booking with some trepidation, after having read several negative reviews. But I was not disappointed.

In addition to getting a great rate (for a pricey town like Yellowknife), I found that, in my case at least, the Arnica had more than made up for any past inadequacies. From booking to checkout, I received excellent service, and my room was more than satisfactory. More specifically, the room (a typical double Queen) had a fridge, microwave, coffee maker and basic cable tv, all in good working order. There was also a standalone air conditioner, which was nice on those days the temperature outside hit +27C (I overheard people complaining that another well known local hotel didn't offer any air conditioning and that their rooms sweltered). And one thing that makes all the difference for me is a working shower (with adequate hot water and pressure), with a working drain that doesn't let my feet soak in my own rinse during a shower.

I would never call it luxury, but the Arnica certainly did the job; if you want something more luxurious you'll have to pay for it. If there was anything negative about the Inn, it would be that it's somewhat out of the way if you're hoping to be close to downtown: it's a good 15-minute hike, but it's not far enough to justify a taxi. Good thing the weather was awesome.

Room Tip: It's a motel set up, with a number of rooms having doors that open to the outside. In the winter, this may be a bad idea. The "indoor" rooms (rooms behind the lobby) may be a little quieter, but I didn't get a chance to compare.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 November 2011

This review will confirm what the majority here have already written. The ARNICA Inn is probably still in business because there is a paucity of hotel space in Yellowknife. If you are traveling during peak Japanese tourist season, and book at the last minute, or just unlucky, you will find yourself in a smoke-smelling room, with dingy carpet and half-way between new and old town centers.

Don't lose hope! The bedding was clean, the coffee maker worked and the TV had cable! The room was plenty warm, when the weather outside was not, and although the safety of the outlying rooms leaves something to be desired, it will do for a brief stay. You will pay the same price here as you would for a hotel in downtown New York!

Room Tip: Get a room behind the main reception in the middle of the hotel: the hallway doors are key-locked so only guests have access.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank localtravelore
Reviewed 29 September 2011

Yeah, this was pretty much what I had expected. I think if you are just passing thru and don't plan on spending a lot of time in the room it's fine. This is not a honeymoon place by any means. The hotel is across the street from a nice big soccer field, where you can run and do some calesthenics if you want. The downtown is about a 8 min walk, but Il be honest there is not much there. There are live-ins at the hotel and I think that is the hotels main business.

Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business