“Creepy with bad service”
Review of Arnica Inn

Arnica Inn
Arnica Inn
Ranked #21 of 23 Yellowknife B&B and Inns
Canada
“Creepy with bad service”
Reviewed 9 October 2009

I chose to stay at the Arnica because the website made it look like a clean, modern business hotel and the rates were good. Unfortunately, the website is misleading.

The website claims that the hotel offers:
o free wireless internet - it was "down" for both nights I stayed there
o new voicemail phone system - I had two people call me. One got no answer at least twice and one left a message on this supposed system which I never received.
o air conditioning - this is a giant standing unit by your door with big hoses going out of the room into the hall.
o handicap accessible - this is absolutely false for anything on the second floor. There is no elevator.
o "comfort's cafe" - there is a small room with tables and chairs where they serve continental breakfast, but when I asked about the lunch/dinner options she said they don't serve any food apart from the continental breakfast. On the upside, the breakfast (toast, cereal) was fine.
o business centre - I was told this was also "down". How can a business centre be down? it says it's a boardroom with a printer.
o 24 hour front desk - leave yourself extra time to bang on the locked front doors if you are leaving for a 6 am flight. I had to bang and bang, then walked around to see if I could get into the check-in area somehow (it's not connected to the hotel). Eventually someone looking very sleepy showed up.

For those with mobility issues, there is no elevator. If your room is on the second floor you have to drag your luggage outside, around the building, through the security doors and up the stairs. Although I managed this on my own I found it odd that the hotel staff didn't even offer to help me with my luggage when I was clearly bogged down with three bags (and just alone).

More importantly I felt very unsafe in this hotel. When I first checked in they gave me a room (212) that had clearly either been broken into or had an attempt had been made. There was wood chipped away all around the lock so much so that you could see the metal door plate.

When I went downstairs to ask for another room I was given room 203 which appeared to be fine. It even had a little fridge and microwave. Again, old, but clean and ok. However after spending a night in one of the beds I bent down the next morning only to discover what appear to be blood stains on the box spring. I actually took photos I was so shocked. I checked the mattress in disgust but didn't find anything on the mattress itself. Finally on the morning I checked out I found that someone had smashed in the glass window of the "security" door.

Overall a creepy, older hotel with little to bad service. Not somewhere I would ever recommend to a female travelling alone.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Charlottetown
Reviewed 19 February 2009

I recently spent three nights at the Arnica Inn and truly enjoyed my experience. The front desk staff were very helpful with all my requirements. I stayed in a two bedroom unit that was very clean; I found my bed to be very comfortable. I would recommend the hotel to anyone staying in the area.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
Edinburgh
Reviewed 1 June 2007

Before moving on to the YK Inn, I spent 3 nights at the Red Coach, which contrary to previous reveiws, is a very pleasant motel-type place. Our room was spacious with 2 double beds, large TV, en-suite bathroom and full kitchenette.

I was staying with a large conference party and didn' hear any complaints about the quality of the place, although not all rooms were equipped with full kitchenette. The room was well-heated with good blackout blinds (useful for 20 hours of daylight) and on-site cafe.

It's a good motel for people who just want basic, self-catered accommodation at a reasonable price. I would stay there again

• Stayed May 2007, travelled on business
2 Thank raina82
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 12 September 2006

This was a last resort hotel - I am in Yellowknife for 20 nights on a business trip and all others were booked out, but now after five nights I am desperately trying to find somewhere else and let me tell you why...

Last night as I was going to bed another guest was trying to come into my room - they had given her a key to my room and told them it was her room!!! Lucky I had the deadlock on (it can't be opened from the outside) otherwise she just would have walked in - and I could have been getting changed or having a shower or anything! Not only is this a privacy risk - it is also a security risk because if I wasn't in the room, I couldn't have locked the deadbolt, therefore she could have gotten in and I had my laptop and PDA and camera in there!!!

I also agree with the other review - the room is stuffy (the window has only a small section at the top which can be opened), the heater didn't seem to be working, there is no iron or ironing board in the room. Also, the restaurant is a completely separate business (and the quality of the food isn't very good), so they don't let you put meals on the room bill, and also it's only open from 7am to 7pm, so by the time I finished work I had to find somwhere else to eat.

Overall clean and adequate, but stay AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!

• Stayed September 2006, travelled on business
6 Thank TheTravellingMuzza

Travellers are raving about these Yellowknife hotels

Crawford, Colorado
Reviewed 4 September 2006

We were very disappointed. Hot and stuffy room, no ventilation to speak of. Reservation was screwed up. After we were finally put in a room and had unloaded all our stuff, we were told we would have to move to another room. The refrigerator freezer hadn't been defrosted in a very long time and was somewhat useless. The woman who runs the restaurant was rude to my wife when she tried to get some ice. The rates have been increased substantially with apparently new owners—$109 C for 2 at senior rate. It seems there have been renovations, but the rates are too high for the experience. I would avoid this place.

• Liked — kitchenette
  • Disliked — hot and stuffy
  • Tips/Secrets — go somewhere else