“Things have changed here.” 2 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: American, Canadian, Soups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Seating, Waitstaff
Cornwallis, NS
“Things have changed here.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013

My friends and I looked forward to our stop here this summer, our 2nd visit since in the last few years. We noticed an immediate difference in the large retail space which had previously been such an attractively store highlighting the many local brands and products produced in the Maritimes. Very little remains on the shelves and it is mostly cheap souvenir schlock, poorly displayed and arranged.
Our lunch was good. We each had a salad which was fresh, attractively arranged on the plate and reasonably priced~good homemade dressing. Our split pea soups were good but not great; something was missing.
Overall, we were very disappointed and will not return. What had been a highlight of a road trip is not calling our names anymore.

• Visited July 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank aloettequeen

Pictou, Canada
“Excellent meal and service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2013

My husband and I stopped here for lunch on our way to Halifax. I had the best BLT sandwich I have ever eaten. The bacon was smokey, the lettuce crisp, the tomato tasted fresh from a garden. It was served on toasted whole wheat bread- a large portion. A side salad was very good as well. My husband had fish cakes and baked beans. They came with a large order of excellent fries. The bill, including a tip, was $28.00. Though this was a lunch stop, the meal was large enough to have been a dinner!

• Visited July 2013
Mass
“Disappointing”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2013

I personally stopped to check out Saltscapes for an upcoming Serendipity Traveler Tour and was thoroughly disappointed. The food was mediocre and the service while adequately pleasant was painfully slow.
Nova Scotia has so many wonderful chef owned and corporate owned restaurants we are used to dining well whether for lunch or dinner. We cannot recommend either lunch or dinner here until radical changes occur in food quality, customer service and delivery of excellence.

• Visited June 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank travellady8
Kentville, Canada
“Consistent food...service friendly”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2013

Probably the third time at Saltscapes. Off the highway near Truro...a nice change from roadside fast food places. We arrived Monday around 4:30 and restaurant was empty but did start to fill up. Very large area with plenty of seating. Nova Scotian music playing...maybe a bit loud for my taste. The staff all very cheery and helpful. The food good...not great. I had fish cakes with a choice of two sides. My pick the coleslaw..very good and baked beans good but obviously reheated. My husband the meatloaf...okay (he's a meatloaf lover) but again looked liked reheated in micro. The fries crisp. As in previous times a solid meal and a great change from fast food...family diner. Accompanying gift shop usually a great selection of quality Nova Scotian giftware, however could be poor timing but looked almost empty at this time for the amount of space. Again could be timing of seasonal giftware...usually worth the stop just to shop...

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank 470JimB470
Bridgewater, Canada
“Third time your out”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2013

this was my third trip within the last year i must say it was horriable. They have really downsize the menu, also they should hire some staff it was not that busy and we had to wait 1 hr for a meal that was cold no taste no flavour need to hire a creative chef. the chef salad was suppose to come with ranch dressing as stated on the menu instead their was blueberry yuck. our cofffe was not refllled, had to flag her down to get some did not check to see if meal was ok several other diners had to flag the server down to order after sitting 30 min. the food is not even good. i hope that your magazine is run better than your restaurant you should stick with what you do best. i will not go back and waste my money again.

• Visited May 2013