“Just what we needed!”

and 1 more site!
King George Inn
Ranked #15 of 19 Annapolis Royal B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 July 2013

I've stayed in Annapolis Royal many times, but this was the first time for my man. We'd been driving for fourteen hours; when Faith noticed my walking stick, she immediately moved us to a first floor room. This exemplifies how she runs the King George--kindness,attention to detail, and the kind of hospitality that I cherish Nova Scotia for. The room was beautiful--gorgeous antiques, homey, and the bathroom! I started my day in the Jacuzzi tub (for which my arthritis was deeply grateful). Breakfast the next morning was delicious, filling, healthy, and elegant--the Victorian theme carried through to the settings--without being stuffy. Other guests joined us around the big table--one couple were repeat visitors--and the community feel, even though we were strangers, speaks to Faith's hospitality. We will come again.

Room Tip: If you have a smoker, ask for the first floor room--there is an attached porch where the smoker can...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MadMadameRiz

Reviewed 17 July 2013

From the first time I contacted Faith at the King George Inn, until we checked out, she was extremely helpful and accommodating. We are a family of 5 so we wanted to book the Family Suite. Faith was able to rearrange guests to get us the suite. As far as my research showed, this is the only inn in the area that doesn't charge for two separate rooms, but offers the affordable suite of two rooms, two baths, that was plenty of comfortable space for us. Upon arrival, Faith gave us the tour of the inn, complete with many rules. She is in charge and her rules guarantee a stay that respects the furnishings and Victorian traditions of the house. She is an interesting woman, who patrons should take the time to get to know. She will arrange dinner reservations and answer any questions you have about the area.
The house is beautiful and chock full of antiques. The highlight of the house is the amazing front door, a survivor of the Halifax explosion from the Lieutenant Governor's house.
Breakfast was delicious - pancakes, fruit preserves, fresh fruit, yogurt, hard boiled eggs, muffins, fresh fruit, coffee and juice. Faith gave the children a lesson on Victorian table etiquette. It was a valuable experience for them, one we hope they will continue at future meals!
We look forward to returning someday. Thank you Faith!

Room Tip: Book the "family suite" if you have 2 or 3 children. Get to know Faith, the Inn keeper, a...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank m0m23b0ys
Reviewed 13 October 2012

We have stayed at a few bed & breakfast inns and I can tell you this....this one is by far the worst we ever stayed in....Faith, the innkeeper, was on patrol! She chastised, made rules. We took her many times as being a rude person and from the moment we walked in the door it was a explanation of her rules and regulations....and what idiots some of her other guests had been....which was none of our business and should have been kept confidential.
We stayed 3 days 4 nights....the breakfast was the same every day....pancakes!!! of course, you got the usual muffins, juice, granola cereal, coffee, tea and homemade jam...but, I can get that as a continental breakfast at most motels/hotels. In fact, the 3rd morning we got cold pancakes!
The room we initially wanted she gave to someone else but, she did "upgrade" us to a better room....although the bathroom was so small that my husband ( a big man) could hardly move in the shower. We were afraid to touch anything....being afraid we would get reprimanded.
as far as the inn itself it was very clean, decorated well, and is a great location to wonderful Annapolis Royal, Nova Scotia.....but I can tell you this....I will be staying at the Queen Ann's the next time. It was only a $30 dollar difference and I heard their breakfasts are great!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Sheryl C
Reviewed 3 October 2012

This was my first stay at the King George and hopefully not my last. What an awesome part of Nova Scotia steeped in history and beauty. The Inn was warm and inviting and the rooms cosy and homey. And Faith, truly a gem that I will never forget. Come with a sense of humor and you will enjoy every minute of your stay. My friends and I had a wonderful stay at this beautiful Victoria Bed and Breakfast.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank NSAdventure
Reviewed 30 September 2012

My husband and I stayed at the King George over the summer for our anniversary - we had seen the previous reviews mentioning about the militant inn keeper and thought we would give it a try regardless - and we are glad we did!

The room was charming and even including wine - it was a short walk to the downtown area and we had a lovely breakfast in the morning.

Faith is a great hostess - we enjoyed her dedication to the Inn and her no nonsense attitude - she made us smile and we thought that her direction and guidance made the experience that much more memorable.

We too were given romantic hints, inn rules, suggestions on where to eat and yes instructions on how to dine in a Victorian manor - however we found all of this part of the experience - and it was never over the top.

We will definitely be back

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kelly m
Reviewed 30 September 2012

This has been our second stay at the King George and as with the first it was enjoyable and we felt very at home and relaxed. We both love Faith for what she has done with the place and with her style of entertaining and humour it makes the stay even more memorable. A great place with warmth and ambiance.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Fergus F
Reviewed 29 September 2012

My wife and I had only stayed at one Bed and Breakfast previously and it was a private cottage in a very rural area. Honestly, we did not know what to expect when arriving at the King George Inn. Faith the Innkeeper, was on the sidewalk with her dog as we drove up. We took this as a friendly accommodating gesture at first, then realized it was part of her regime of control and "big brother" method of "supervising" our stay. The first order of business was to go over the "rules" Rules were presented with her talking so fast that even a person in a fresh state of mind could not begin to grasp what she was saying, let alone a person who had been on the road all day. The style of presentation was very condescending and we were made to feel we would be chastised severely for any minor infraction. During the presentation in the room, she alluded to me several times that I should get the hints of what she had done to enhance my romantic intentions toward my wife. Frankly, I was offended by this. She also ranted about the "Stupidity'" of several recent guests. This was so unnecessary and inappropriate.

Our orientation concluded with being told to review menus quickly and tell her where we wanted to eat. SHE was in charge of making the reservations. We thought if she wanted to make a couple suggestions on where to eat that would have been fine, but her pushiness on this was way over the top.

As far as breakfast goes, it would have been welcomed by us if she wanted to tell us about the Victorian style of dining. Instead, she once again gave us the most complicated instructions, speaking so quickly that we could not begin to understand or remember what she was saying .. Once again, she made us feel we would be punished severely for "disrespecting" the majesty of the King George Inn. I actually think she gives the instructions so quickly with the intention that the guests will be more likely to make a mistake that she can criticize.

All this being said, the King George Inn is a lovely place in a great location. The food and the rooms were just fine. If you don't mind someone who runs a B&B in a rigid, militaristic style you may love the King George Inn. We honestly feel that Faith wants to be a great Innkeeper. If she could loosen up some and allow people to feel more relaxed it could be a great experience. For us, feeling comfortable and relaxed is a priority when staying away from home. Feeling that your every move was being monitored gave us an uneasy feeling.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple