“Lovely!”

Hillsdale House Inn
Edmonton, Canada
“Lovely!”
Reviewed 7 September 2012

I stayed only one night in the Hillsdale House Inn, but it was lovely. The room was a smaller one, as I was travelling solo, but it featured all the amenities I needed - and the bed was exceptionally comfortable. The hosts were friendly, welcoming and generous. The house and the grounds were spectacular. Breakfast was exceptional as well - fresh, hommemade and delicious! I would strongly recommend this Inn to any travellers in the area.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Southwest Nova Scotia, Canada
Reviewed 4 September 2012

My husband and I spent two nights at Hillsdale House in August and stayed in Room 5 on the top floor. The room was beautiful, air conditioned and had a large bathroom with a claw footed bath tub. We loved it. The inn itself is welcoming, immaculate, and lovely; breakfast was top notch with lots of choice, well cooked food and homemade muffins and jams. I would recommend staying here to anyone - it is close to the historic gardens and just a short walk to Fort Anne. For anyone with mobility issues a room on a lower floor would be recommended.

Annapolis Royal itself is also a lovely place. Don't miss the gardens or the graveyard tour.

Evanston, Illinois
Reviewed 29 August 2012

Everything about Hillsdale House Inn was excellent, with one minor exception. We had a beautiful room, with a spacious, well-equipped en suite bath. The breakfast was delicious and very plentiful. The advice and assistance we got from Val and Paul was top notch. The one exception is that the air conditioner in our room was very noisy.

Despite that small glitch, I highly recommend this property.

Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 21 August 2012

We have stayed at 4 Annapolis Royal inns and this is our favourite. The grounds and gardens are outstanding. The room was very comfortable and right for us and breakfast was lovely. We loved sitting out on the veranda for a cocktail. Convenient to restaurants and Historic Gardens. We will book again!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 21 August 2012

The 3rd hotel on my walking tour of Nova Scotia was Hillsdale House Inn in Annapolis Royal. Hillsdale House Inn offers 13 guest rooms - 10 in the main 3-story house and 3 in the attached 2-story carriage house. Their very informative web site describes each room individually with both text and photos so I won't try to repeat it all here.

I was only here for 1 night, thank goodness, as my carriage house room (#14) had no air conditioning and I had a miserable night even with 2 fans in the room. Oddly, the other second floor Carriage House room (#15) which was adjacent to mine did have AC. I really wanted to like this place as the owners and staff are so nice but the no AC killed it for me.

My bedroom was carpeted, but felt cluttered with too much furniture in it (seems to be a recurring Victorian thing).

The bathroom had a linoleum floor. The standard size tub was the plastic variety with a plastic shower surround and a straight shower curtain rod. The shower curtain was too long by about 6 to 9 inches and, as a result, lays wet in the bottom of the tub. Predictably, it had red mildew all along its bottom edge. The hand towels were on a wall rack but the bath towels were on a wooden floor stand - cute but unnecessarily eats floor space.

I wish I had more time to explore Annapolis Royal than my short stay here allowed but I am glad I only had 1 night in the hot room. Most reviewers love this place but for me it was only average at best and I give it a 3.

Room Tip: If you are staying during warm weather make sure your room has AC that works as some room have no AC...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank AustinWhitewater
Hillsdale1859, Owner at Hillsdale House Inn, responded to this review, 27 August 2012
We want to thank this guest for taking the time to provide feedback on his visit to our property last week. We are also disappointed to learn that he was not particularly please with his accommodations for the reasons stated in his review. As pointed out the room that he was staying in was not air conditioned and while the room has windows that open for fresh air and oscillating fans are provided, we have had a unusually hot and humid summer and this obviously was not adequate. This summer we have added air conditioning units to all of rooms with this one exception. Unfortunately we have had to order a special type of A/C unit for this room, as a window unit will not fit.

Our property is a 153 year old Victorian Inn and as such we have tried to balance maintaining the character of the property while also providing modern conveniences. This is actually the first time that we have received a comment about there being too much furniture in this room.

The bath and shower in the room is a contemporary surround type unit. We do appreciate the comment about the shower rod and will soon replace it with one of the curved style rods.

The shower curtain was certainly an oversight, and has been replaced.
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 20 August 2012

This inn is an extraordinary heritage mansion - one of the most outstanding in Annapolis. Its grounds, gardens and flowerbeds are stunning! And the town of Annapolis we found to be the most genuine and historically authentic loyalist town in Nova Scotia. Plan to spend at least 3 days imbibing the historical sights in and around Annapolis. A must for any history buffs! The Inn is a short walk from all the sights - you will be transported back into the 19th century!

1 Thank Guiillaume
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Reviewed 20 August 2012

My stay at Hillsdale House exceeded my expectations. Beautiful room, great breakfast and very friendly and helpful owners and staff. I highly recommend it and the town of Annapolis Royal. Great restaurants, pub and interesting shopping.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple