“A terrific discovery - excellent chocolates and coffee in a European style coffee shop/cafe”

The chocolate shop & cafe
Cuisines: Cafe
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We were delighted to discover this little European style coffee and chocolate shop. The chocolates are all handmade on the premises by the resident chocolatier who is also the owner.
We stopped in for fresh baked croissants and coffee one sunny glorious morning. The coffee was fresh and delicious, the croissant still warm from the oven. Later in the day we returned for some chocolate
and a cappuccino. Both were excellent. This is barista made espresso not the automated push button variety that is now everywhere. The beans are freshly ground, an espresso shot is pulled and the barista foams and steams the milk perfectly.
The atmosphere is very pleasant with a book and antique shop in back. There are paintings on the cafe walls by some very talented local artists including Wayne Boucher

Go in and try this charming cafe. You shouldn't be disappointed

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Carmenpeters

Charlottetown, Canada
“disappointing $5 debit or credit minimum”
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Although the place looks inviting I have to say that I was disappointed when I ordered my coffee to go that I was told I had to spend at least 5 dollars with the added explanation that the banks charge the business for the use of the machines. So basically I was left with the feeling that because the bank charges them, they are going to pass that along to (me) the customer and make sure I spend enough so that they can cover their costs. And by the time I decided on what else to buy, my espresso got cold.
People simply don't carry cash anymore.Debit and credit cards are now thew norm and should be part of any big or small cafe/restaurant business model.
I'd love to go back and visit this place, but I'll wait until they get rid of this silly out-dated policy.

2 Thank CynthiaKing
sindura, Owner at The chocolate shop & cafe, responded to this review, 30 October 2013
First thank you for visiting our shop. Sorry your coffee went cold. You should have said something and I would have gladly fixed it.

If I remember correctly, you bought a $2.25 coffee and we did agree to take your card but explained that we generally have a $5.00 minimum. This is our general policy. We take the card but explain why we have a limit. You opted to go to the car and get cash. It was your decision. I was very pleasant about it so I do not understand why you feel the need to write a negative review about your experience.

FYI: Those of you who don't know - the credit card company takes approximately 3% of the sale plus a transaction fee on every purchase. And they take even more on rewards cards.
Granville Ferry, Canada
“A great place to meet friends....”
Reviewed 7 October 2013

I am a local and love it when I can stop in for coffee and a bite and see my neighbours too. The Chocolate Shop and Cafe is perfect for a sandwich, a bowl of soup, coffee (great coffee) and don't forget Joanne's hand made chocolates....You gotta love small town living!!!!

1 Thank nova1957
Bonita Springs, Florida
“the chowder was great”
Reviewed 3 October 2013

and the paninni was good, but i would get the chowder on a daily basis if i lived there, it had salmon, scallops and mussels and a little bit of dill, it was a rainy and chilly day and it certainly hit the spot. the chocolate was good but i have had better,

1 Thank cathy z
Mentone, AL
“Coffee, chocolate & books...who could go wrong?”
Reviewed 7 September 2013

We enjoyed coffee here twice while visiting Annapolis Royal. We enjoyed our conversation with the very friendly owner. Coffee was good & OH, the handmade chocolate was so tasty. We enjoyed wandering around the shop, checking out the antiques and book selection. The window was opened, and we enjoyed the breeze off the water. Stop in & relax for a while and enjoy that delicious coffee and chocolate!

• Visited August 2013