“Delightful little brewpub”

Price range: US$9 - US$14
Cuisines: Gastropub
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: The Townhouse is a cozy, neighbourhood pub, focused on great Nova Scotian craft beer, and fresh, local food. We have 9 taps of NS microbrews, including our own Terry's Best Bitter, brewed upstairs, cask-conditioned, and served on a traditional hand pump. Our guest tap changes regularly, featuring one-offs & seasonals from breweries across the province. Our eclectic menu starts with the best local, seasonal products from the area - from seafood to root veggies - and offers them up in traditional and un-traditional ways. Our kitchen takes great pride in making (almost) all of our food - breads, desserts, pates, pickles, spice mixes, dressings, and chutneys - from scratch, in house. You'll find old world pub favourites, hearty main dish salads, rustic taverna fare (Tapas boards, oysters on the half shell), and dishes from farther afield (Mexican Pizza, Korean Pork & Kimchi Burger, Thai Jungle curry). We are fast becoming famous for our ultra-rich Lobster Chowder and Polish Cheesecake. Although inspired by the neighbourhood pubs of the UK and Ireland, the Antigonish community and our wonderful regulars give the pub it's real colour and relaxed, friendly atmosphere. Weekly events include live jazz and trivia during the school year, and every Sunday we serve a roast and host a traditional Irish music session from 6:30pm.
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Delightful little brewpub”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Many good craft beers on tap, but their own beer (brewed upstairs) was the best by far.
Our meals were excellent, well prepared, and served with a smile and bright conversation. Nothing not to like here!

Visited July 2014

New Sharon, Maine
“Wonderful fresh seafood throughout our ten days of travel in Canada”
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Of all the delicious meals we had in our ten days of travel, this was by far my favorite. The cod (one of my favorite meals) was nicely breaded in panko and basil. It was served with local fresh vegetables: peas, spinach, and tomatoes. Our waitress was on a first name basis with all of the suppliers of vegetables and fish for the restaurant. I hardly ever have desert and said only if she had sorbet or fresh fruit. Chocolate sorbet served over fresh strawberries was delicious.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Lisa S
Trim, Ireland
“Absolutely first class”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

My husband and I visited Nova Scotia last month for a couple of weeks and this bar and restaurant was recommended to us by friends. It did not disappoint. It is by far the nicest bar food I have ever had, and it is a high class restaurant.
We ended up visiting on several occasions during our stay as we enjoyed it so much.
The atmosphere is lovely - the friendly staff greet you at the door and they are attentive and helpful. The place is very clean and the decor is interesting. We have a toddler so we were not here late at night, but early in the evening for meals. We also sat outside on a sunny evening, which was great.
Among the dishes we had were the mac and cheese - our daughter loved this. It was delicious without being too heavy. I had the lobster chowder, which was excellent. There was a perfect amount of cream and a decent amount of lobster meat. My husband had the Sunday roast beef special, which he loved - the meat was tender and tasty. We also had a quinoa salad and a butternut salad, both of which were excellent. The ingredients used are obviously high quality as the flavours of each ingredient can clearly be tasted, instead of being covered up by seasoning, salt or sauces. The same is true of the sides, such as the pickled vegetables and garlic-laden asparagus (amazing!!). We also had a special of seared scallops with bacon and a stout cream sauce. This was delicious, although our daughter ate most of the scallops!
The beer selection is very good, focusing on local beers and even with their very own home brew. My husband loves to try different beers so he was very happy! The servers were very knowledgable about both the food and beverages, which is a welcome change from some staff who don't care about what they're serving.
The price is very fair for what is being served, which is high quality, delicious food - served with a smile. if I return to Nova Scotia I will go out of my way to return to this establishment.

• Visited June 2014
“OK, but not spectacular ”
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

Average pub fare. Seafood chowder was great, steak and ale pie dry enough to need a drink between bites.

Antigonish, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Bland food”
Reviewed 18 July 2014

If I could give this place a lesser rating then I would. I went and got the mac and cheese that people had raved to me about. It was terrible, inedible actually. It was served in a tiny dish (tiny for the price that's for certain) and it was clear that it had been prepared in advance and zapped in the microwave. Not sure if the regular chef was off as other people I know like it but this was not fresh. The tell tale sign was that it was super hot in the middle and cool to the touch and the bread topping was soft and not crunchy. In addition the cheese sauce had separated and was actually curdled - all of which point to being thrown in a microwave.

The salad that came with it actually had a bug in it. When I pointed it out to the server she did not offer a new salad or a discount. Instead she offered me a story about how a week ago someone found a slug in their salad. I suppose that was supposed to make me feel lucky that all I had was a bug. We personally know some servers who work there who are simply lovely but the one dealing with the bug in the salad issue was not.

My husband who will eat anything could not eat the pickled veggies that came with his because for whatever reason they pickled celery and everything in the dish then tasted like celery (obviously because celery is so porous for the pickling liquid). It reeked of amateurs trying to disguise their food as gourmet. Both my husband and I found our meals to be so bland and tasteless, they didn't even taste as it they were seasoned with salt.

We got the baked potatoes to start which were alright aside from the fact that they had no seasoning so could have easily been done at home.

Overall, just a terrible and overpriced meal and the server dealing with my complaint (which I had leveled very politely) was terrible. Needless to say we won't be back.

• Visited August 2013
NxNE, Owner at The Townhouse, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Hello Eatingcrackers,

I'm so sorry to hear you had such a bad experience with us. Can you tell me when you came in? I'm a little confused about when this took place and I'd really like to try to get to the bottom of what went wrong that night.

We are very concerned by any unhappy customers, and the servers and I do our absolute best to figure out what we can do to fix a situation. They usually tell me of any such situation immediately. I am very surprised and so sorry to hear that she handled your situation so poorly.

I can absolutely guarantee you your mac and cheese wasn't microwaved, but apologize sincerely for it being disappointing. It is one of our most popular items, so something must have gone very wrong that night. I'd really appreciate if you could private message me the details about when you were in and who your server was so we can make sure nothing like this happens again.

With sincerest apologies,