“Great food - Relaxing atmosphere - Fair prices - Good food”

Governors Pub & Eatery
Ranked #2 of 147 Restaurants in Sydney
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: Seafood, Gastropub
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 18 August 2014

The view was nice. The staff was attentive. The food was very good. The micro-brew beers were tasty.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

Good service and helpful with reservations. Our favorite was the spicy shrimp appetizer which was to die for. Others ordered fish and liked their meal; my steak had some gristle but serves me right for ordering steak when I could have had really fresh fish. We would go back.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

We went on a Holiday and the place was very busy. Service was on the slow side, needed to get up to get more water ourselves. Very hot night with no air conditioning inside, just fans. We did ask for a spot outside, and when ready were told we could move out but food had arrived and we decided not to bother relocating. I also found it to be quite dark inside for eating. The food was decent and tasty. We had scallops, fish of the day and salad. All were well prepared and seasoned well. I would perhaps eat here again, but would try elsewhere first.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

I was going to say if you ever go to Sydney, eat here, but this place is worth a special trip. We have traveled the US and the world, and this meal beat San Francisco, Napa Valley, New York and Paris. Haddock and halibut perfectly cooked, sauces divine. Our total bill for two with a half bottle of great local Jost Chardonnay, $78 Canadian. Would come back to Sydney NS just to eat here.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

A year ago I had a very poor meal here with very poor service (2 hours to eat lunch with a party of 5). My partner really wanted to try it, despite my terrible experience last year. So, two nights ago, I agreed to try it again, thinking that things might have improved. Was I ever wrong. I went here with 3 friends for some beers and apps. As we stood in the outside courtyard awaiting to be greeted, 7 employees passed by us without uttering a word to us, as if we were invisible. About 10 minutes passed when we finally stopped a server to ask if there was any way we could be seated. The server told us that she'd go see if the hostess was 'available.' The hostess arrived about 5 minutes later. We asked for a table for 4, and she pointed to two tables and informed us that they were "reserved." These tables had used cutlery and plates on them, and it was evident that she was going to say ANYTHING to get rid of us. She then explained that there was a family of 5 ahead of us waiting for a table (the family arrived AFTER us), and that we were looking at 45 minutes of waiting. Essentially, as Governors often goes, she was asking us to go spend our money somewhere else. Rude, unprofessional, and we were made to feel like we were inconveniencing her because we wanted to have some drinks with friends. Absolutely, will never go back to this place again. AVOID AVOID AVOID.