“Bad first impression.”

Hearthstone Inn Sydney
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed 28 July 2013

We parked in back, gravel lot, dirt path to the back door which had a busted out lock, narrow hallway outside our room had three mattresses and frames leaning against the wall. They were putting a new floor in a room and chose to "store" the stuff in the hallway for the duration. Poor first impression in terms of basic hotel-keeping. Room itself was OK. As others have said, the breakfast is certainly a cut above the norm since it is served restaurant style rather than a cold buffet.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
trevor m, General Manager at Hearthstone Inn Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2013

Good afternoon, thank you for taking the time to post your concern. In this case I totally agree, we should not have stored things in the hallway. As we continue to renovate rooms we will not put things in the hallway. I apologize for that. I do hope you will return as I do value your business. If there is anything I can do for you in the future to make your next stay more enjoyable, please contact me @ 902-539-8101. I look forward to serving you in the future
Kind Regards,

Reviewed 11 July 2013

This hotel is set back from the main road leading into town if coming from Baddeck, etc., in a mixed neighborhood of houses and businesses, a quiet setting. Some rooms have angled views of the water.

The staff was pleasant and helpful. The rooms were well equipped, clean, and comfortable. The pool was decent but much of the exercise room's equipment needed repair.

Breakfast is in their restaurant. They gave us vouchers that could be exchanged either for a choice of preset menu items or (a different day) a buffet breakfast, or if the guest prefers it was worth $5 toward a menu breakfast.

Room Tip: The hotel has three floors, one above the main entrance and one below. The land at the back of the...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for your comments. I take alot of pride in our staff, we do our best to satisfy everyone that stays with us. The breakfast has been a great success for us and we will continue to provide this in the future. As far as the gym equipement is concerned, I have removed any equipement that was not working and replaced with equipment that our guests can use. I hope you will come again and view our gym. You will see that we have made things better. Thanks again.

Reviewed 27 June 2013

Once again, very pleased with our stay. Beautiful breakfast package on both days and very clean and comfortable. Staff is always exceptional. This hotel would be perfect if it had an ocean view. They also take dogs and don't charge an extra fee. See you next year!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Lisa S

Great to hear you enjoyed your stay. We are pet friendly and will continue to be pet friendly. You indicated you stay here every year, I think that's great. On your next stay I would love to meet you and treat you and your guest to dinner in our restaurant. Thanks for your kind words and I look forward to seeing you next year.
Trevor W.McPhee,

Reviewed 28 May 2013

Stopped here one night while doing the Cape Breton trails. Decent hotel, nothing fancy and a bit outdated. Had a discount certificate ($65) so it was a good value, but wouldn't have wanted to pay too much more than that for the room. The curtains had holes in them and the amenities were basic. The bed however was very comfortable (but the sheets and blankets needed updating). There's lots of mystery stains on the carpets in hallway, so we weren't expecting much when we reached our room. It was ok for cleanliness, nothing special. Front desk staff was very friendly and helpful, due to our reservation being lost. The restaurant was horrible; we ate around 8:30pm and everything was over cooked and very slow. Fish was tough and chewy and the hamburgers were like hockey pucks. Would have sent them back but it already took 40 mins to get our food and they were out of hamburgers and there was a very loud group that was letting their children run around the restaurant and scream so we were anxious to leave. Didn't even bother going for breakfast the next morning. If you are staying one night and get a good price it's worth it. We didn't hear much noise on the hall we were on, but apparently there was some loud groups on the other end of the hotel, so maybe ask for a quieter part. The friendly and accommodating front desk staff make the rating better.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank fletchfam

Good morning, I am very upset at your horrible experience. My name is Trevor McPhee, I took over this hotel in March and I can assure you many of your concerns have been addressed. Every day we strive to get better and I think we are. The speed of service in our restaurant has improved and so has the quality. I have a new Kitchen Manager and he is doing a wonderful job. You mentioned the curtains, we are aware of this issue and we are working on replace those curtains. If you happen to check and see me response to you, I would love an opportunity to speak with you, in hopes I can capture you as a long term guest here. Everyday is beter than yesterday but not as good as tomorrow. Thank you again for staying with us and please come back again, I know you will see a difference.
902-539-8101

Reviewed 15 March 2013

Stayed here on a couple of occasion this past season for my sons hockey trips. The property is a little dated; however the accommodations are clean and affordable. The rooms come standard with 2 double beds (extremely comfortable) a microwave and small bar fridge. Included with our last stay was a voucher for an express breakfast, which included your choice of bacon, ham, egg or pancakes, toast or fruit cup. It was enough for me and my family to say the least; all we had to pay for in the difference was for the kids drinks.

The only negative was that the pool was closed due to renovations. Overall, I would stay here again!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Bas2008
Reviewed 7 March 2013

The room was a bit musty smelling and could use some updating. I was up most of the night & couldn't get warm even with the heat on. Only to find out in the am that the window won't close and the cold wind was coming in. My favorite part of the stay was breakfast. It was lovely. I won't stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank DeniseBeaverBankNS
Reviewed 13 January 2013

I stayed during the Canada 55+ Games back in August and one thing that saves this hotel is the people. The girls behind the check in counter were very friendly and professional but I must echo the review of travelers below. Yes, things are dated and the carpet in the hallways are quite messy but I don't know anyone who sleeps in the hallway so that's a moot point.

The room I had was downstairs and had a lovely view of the courtyard. There were two double beds and since I was a single traveler I checked out both. The sheets were very old but not stained, the bed further from the door must be used only as a single bed because one side was raised while the other was obviously slept on quite a lot. The room has a musty smell so it might have been due to some wet carpets at some point. The bathroom towels did have almost a kerosene smell or exhaust so that was a little off putting.

Overall it was an okay trip. I didn't complain to the staff because it didn't overly ruin my stay. This hotel has potential and maybe just needs some updating to make it an excellent hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sydney
Cambridge Suites - Sydney
Spanish Bay Inn and  Suites
Hotel North
Hotel North
#1 of 4 in North Sydney

Been to Hearthstone Inn Sydney? Share your experiences!