“Enjoyed our stay here”

Holiday Inn Sydney Waterfront
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed 25 October 2013

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
LJHOLIDAYINNSYD, Manager at Holiday Inn Sydney Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

Reviewed 7 October 2013

Booked via HI website for 115$. We arrived in the afternoon so room was ready, check in was courteous and quick. The room itself was clearly refurbished, with new furniture, LED TV, modern telephones, free wifi, and a decent view of the harbor and the celtic center with the giant fiddle.

The amenities were quite decent. Govt rate includes full a la carte breakfast, which included typical eggs and bacon...I opted for eggs Benedict, which were quite good. The pool is decent sized, as is the jacuzzi, bu the area was in in need of a quick paint refresh. The gym was equipped with 3 treadmills, some ellipticals and a few weights. There is plenty of parking in front and behind the hotel, all free. The hotel is also in walking distance from plenty of restaurants and pub. We went to the governor's pub opposite the hotel and the food and drinks were good.

Overall, a good option before or after the Cabot trail.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
LJHOLIDAYINNSYD, Manager at Holiday Inn Sydney Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2013

Dear Lubiere,

Thank you for taking the time to review us. It's great you had an overall pleasant stay with us. I'm glad you enjoyed our free parking and free WiFi perks, as well as, our outlets and room renovations. We will be continuing our exciting renovations in the near future including the pool and fitness area. I will be sure to share your review with our team members! We hope to welcome you back the next time you are in Sydney!

Reviewed 5 October 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel while in town for a wedding. The staff went out of their way to make us feel at home & all questions & concerns were promptly addressed. Our room overlooked the harbour & cruise port & we had the wonderful opportunity to view 3 different ships coming & going in the harbour. We also made use of the restaurant & the pub while we were there. One thing that I noticed that prevents me from making this an excellent rating was that when I lifted the paper off of what I thought was a clean glass in the bathroom, the glass was dirty :( I enjoyed walking along the boardwalk. My first trip to the East Coast did not disappoint & I wouldn't hesitate to return to this hotel in the future!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that overlooks the harbour
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Dear msgordon74,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we are doing. It's great to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and we are so happy to be included in your first trip to the East Coast! We do have the best view of the Joan Harris Cruise Pavilion! It really is neat to see the cruise ships come into our port and I'm so glad you got to witness 3 during your visit. Thank you for your review and I will be sure to pass on your encouraging remarks to our team members as well as address your concern. We hope to see you again in the future!

Reviewed 27 September 2013

Clean rooms, looked recently renovated although bathroom is still older style, great views over the harbour. Good location in easy walking distance to a couple of options for dinner. Good place to stop for an overnight stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
LJHOLIDAYINNSYD, Manager at Holiday Inn Sydney Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2013

Dear Steven2204,

Thank you for reviewing us. It's wonderful to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. Our location is excellent, if you wish to stay in or venture out. I will be sure to share your great comments! We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 23 September 2013

Good location. Friendly staff. The rooms were well appointed and very clean. Excellent view of Sydney harbour and the "Big Fiddle" We enjoyed the pub in the evening with good food and quick and friendly service

Room Tip: We enjoyed the room on the harbour side
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
LJHOLIDAYINNSYD, Manager at Holiday Inn Sydney Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2013

Dear Kathy W,

Thank you for review and the positive feedback from your recent stay with us. We are so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay. We always love to share positive feedback with our management and staff. We would love to welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed 22 September 2013

The refurbishing of this hotel within the last two years really paid off. Our room was excellent and the hotel has a bright, clean and open atmosphere (with one major exception noted below). Add to that a friendly and attentive staff and our overall experience could have been outstanding except for the following:

Our dinner experience in the restaurant was disappointing to say the least. My wife's french onion soup turned out to be a bowl of luke-warm soggy and cheese covered bread, our sweet potato fries were almost cold, and our salads were both drowning in dressing. We expected far, far better for our $55 bill.

The clean and fresh appearance of the hotel disappears completely if you are brave enough to venture down to level 2B to use either the hotel's exercise room or guest laundry. The moment you step out of the elevator you can't fail to notice a stale odor in the air, and the carpet is beyond dirty - it's disgusting.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
DarcyMD, Manager at Holiday Inn Sydney Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2013

Dear Michael B,

I have to agree that the refurbishing of our hotel over the last two years have really paid off. The rooms are excellent and the hotel does have a bright, clean and open atmosphere along with friendly and attentive staff that adds to the overall experience.

I am sorry that your dinner experience was disappointing as we have a high level of expectation from our Food and Beverage team. I will personally speak to our Executive Chef to discuss the concerns you and your wife encountered in our restaurant.
I am excited to announce that we will continue to renovate the hotel and this includes the B2 level. Michael B, I hope you and your wife will have a chance to return to experience the many changes in the future.

Darcy MacDonald
Rooms division Manager

Reviewed 15 September 2013

Our room was clean, the staff is friendly and the hotel has a good location on the waterfront.

Unfortunately, there were no cups with our coffee maker. I call the desk and they send up some cups fast. But then I notice there is only one decaf coffee pouch and two tea bags. I open the top of the coffee maker and see an old tea bag still in place. Not nice. Very disappointing. I thought the Holiday Inn was trying to change it's dated image.

I'm also annoyed that I have to pay for breakfast. Breakfast for two of us cost $40 and if I add that to the price of the room it's not such a good deal. Also, some (all?) Holiday Inn Express Hotels offer free breakfasts. Why don't they all?

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
DarcyMD, Manager at Holiday Inn Sydney Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2013

Dear Kanadai,

First I want to say thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. Second, we are extremely disappointed we did not WOW you on your recent stay. We strive to provide our guests with a positive experience and we apologize you had issues related to your room. Our Executive Housekeeper is looking into the coffee concerns you had mentioned.

I was pleased to read that you were happy with our friendly staff and waterfront location. I hope to welcome you back the next time your travels take you to Sydney.

Darcy MacDonald
Rooms Division Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sydney
Cambridge Suites - Sydney
Spanish Bay Inn and  Suites
Hotel North
Hotel North
#1 of 4 in North Sydney

Been to Holiday Inn Sydney Waterfront? Share your experiences!