“New Year's Eve”

Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Sydney
Sydney, Canada
“New Year's Eve”
Reviewed 21 January 2013

First time staying at this hotel. It was New Year's Eve and we had tickets to the dance at the MTCC. The room was large with a king bed and beyond large bathroom. They were extremely busy but no problem checking in. We needed a new iron because the one in the room was dirty, someone arrived with a replacement in less than 5 minutes. Even with all the excitement going on for that night we never heard a peep the entire night. It is a fantastic hotel and if you get the chance to dine at the restaurant across the pedway.. It's a must!! I have recommended it to everyone and will continue to do so. For Xmas I received a voucher for the "romance" package and can't wait to stay again.

• Stayed December 2012
Krista C, Front Office Manager at Hampton Inn by Hilton Sydney, responded to this review, 29 January 2013
Dear Angela,

Thank you for your recent review. We are very appreciative that you took the time to provide us feedback on your recent stay. We are very glad that you enjoyed your stay, and we sincerely hope that you stay with us again in the future.

Krista Clarke

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Dartmouth, Canada
Reviewed 7 January 2013

I have stayed at Comfort Inn, Quality Inn, Delta, etc., and this Hotel beats everyone of those hands down! I checked in at noon (early checkin NP) and was offred a complimentary beer...nice touch.
The room was huge and so clean and modern. There's a walk way to a local restaurant and the area is sort of commercial so there's NO STREET NOISE!
I was also suprised to find on the desk in my room a personal greeting card from manager, a complimntray pack of nuts, and a complimentary bottle of water with my companys logo on it.
Simply the best Hotel stay in my life for the money.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
Krista C, Front Office Manager at Hampton Inn by Hilton Sydney, responded to this review, 14 January 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your recent Trip Advisor Review. We are very happy to know that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. We appreciate all of our guests, however, when a corporate guests stays at our hotel, we like to provide them with some extra treats to show our sincere appreciation for their business.

Arichat, Nova Scotia, Canada
Reviewed 4 January 2013

My family and I were very tired after a busy weekend of a minor hockey. At the tournament in Glace Bay one of the hockey parents mentioned the Hampton Hotel. I am very grateful that she did as our overnight stay was great. Front desk staff were very friendly and professional. We called them just 10 minutes before our arrival and they had everything set up for us. Lovely accommodations, complementary drinks,and phoning us to check if our room was satisfactory. The hotel was actually beyond what I was expecting. A very pleasant place to be in. The complementary hot/cold breakfast is wonderful, enough choices to please everyone. I will be taking my family back again.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 5th floor, it was very quite.
1 Thank Shelley D
Krista C, Front Office Manager at Hampton Inn by Hilton Sydney, responded to this review, 9 January 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a Trip Advisor Review. We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, and we would love the opporuntiy to welcome you back as a guest in the future.

Reviewed 30 December 2012

My husband and I travelled from Halifax for Christmas vacation. We had originally booked a room at the Marriott Hotel in Halifax, but heard very good reviews about your Hotel, so we decided to cancel our reservation at the Marriott and book the Romance Package at the Hampton. The staff were very nice but when I approached the desk our 3 little chocolates were handed to us. Our wine was not in our room because they did not ask what type of wine we preferred when the room was booked. When we checked our room, we noticed that there was no tub which would have been nice since it is suppose to be a romance package. Two hours after we checked into our room our wine arrived. The exhaust fan in the bathroom was horrible and we could here the room next door's television very clearly. My husband went to find a vending machine and there is only one, located on the second floor and it did not take bills which being on the sixth floor was an inconvenience. On a positive note, the staff were friendly and the room was clean. I was very disappointed with the Romance Package. There was nothing romantic about it. I was handed my 3 little chocolates at the front desk, no tub and our wine was delivered two hours after we checked in, which I might add tasted flat. It was a disappointment due to the fact I cancelled my plans in Halifax to stay at your hotel for a romantic getaway :(

• Stayed December 2012
Good Afternoon,

I wanted to take a moment to thank you for your recent Trip Advisor Review. We appreciate all feedback that we receive. We are terribly sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations. Please feel free to contact me directly and I'll be happy to assist you in any way I can.

Thank you and once again, our sincere apologies.

Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 26 December 2012

I grew up in the Shipyard area of Sydney but I stay at hotels when visiting these days as my father's house is a bit small to suddenly take on an additional family of 4 for an overnight stay. I have been staying at either the Holiday Inn (formerly the Delta) or the Cambridge Suites on the waterfront as they are both clean and modern. This will change.

For a recent family funeral, my brother pointed out the new Hampton Inn on the Memrbertou First Nation and we gave it a shot. The Hampton Inn only opened earlier this year and the rates were better than what I had been paying on the waterfront.

I was very pleased. The Hampton is more than suitable for a family stay. The pool is not too small, not too big and the water slide doesn't dump into the pool itself so if your kids are so inclined, having a pool full of people doesn't shut down the slide as well.

We had a double Queen bed room and my brother had a King sized bed room. Our room had a bit more room and had a nice counter with a second sink, large bar fridge, microwave and coffee machine. I don't think my brother's room had the counter area with the second sink like our room did.

The bed was very comfortable but it took me three nights to find the right pillow. I had been sleeping on a too hard pillow and it the resulting angle on my neck was uncomfortable all day. Once I found the right pillow (and they have several types in the room), I was fine.

The self serve breakfast was quite good. Spacious with lots of seating (still overrun on a Saturday morning) and a lot of selection. The obligatory self serve waffles, a different choice of hot dishes each day, disappointing made from concentrate juice dispenser (my son loved the ruby red grapefruit juice but I couldn't drink the apple), a selection of teas, and a comfortable and uncramped layout. Note the breakfast buffet did not have extended hours on the weekend so be careful of your morning timings.

A minus for me is they allow dogs in the hotel. This is a plus for some so make your own decision.

The hotel is located on the Membertou First Nations and is attached to their conference centre by a longish pedway - nicely decorated for Christmas. The restaurant in the conference centre is not busy and has a good selection at reasonable prices. Not a typical family restaurant but not ridiculously expensive either.

The hotel is convenient as long as you have a car. If you're on foot, it is no where near anything in Sydney other than what is in Membertou. The hotels on the waterfront allow you to walk about down town or on the boardwalk but those hotels are also a bit more expensive so govern yourself accordingly.

There is a gas station, small grocery store and a Tim Hortons within a short walk from the hotel.

The only disappointment with our stay is I'm not sure they vacuumed the room while we were there and we were there 4 nights. I know they didn't vacuum the second last day we were there and I don't think they cleaned the horizontal surfaces either. We were departing in the morning so I didn't even mention it to the desk staff as by the time we made it back to our room the last thing I wanted was to wait to have the room cleaned again. I'm sure they would have fixed it if we had identified it.

So the Hampton Inn is now my go to hotel for visiting Sydney. We always drive to Sydney so we have our car. My youngest son loved the pool and slide and as long as we get up early enough, the breakfast buffet is convenient and saves us paying for a restaurant breakfast (and I still haven't found a good breakfast restaurant in Sydney yet).

Room Tip: The double Queen rooms have a better fridge/microwave/sink counter than the single King rooms. The p...
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent Trip Advisor Review. We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to hosting future stays.

Lunenburg, Nova Scotia
Reviewed 21 December 2012

We stayed here just before Christmas and were very impressed by this place. The lobby is really nice and well laid out. The rooms are large, very modern and clean. The staff went out of their way to be helpful.. We had been in our room only 5 minutes when we received a call to see if everything was to our liking and if there was anything they could do. Beds were very comfortable. It was a weekend and we did not hear any noise. A newspaper was by our door in the morning and the complimentary breakfast was really good. Much better than most breaksfasts that you don't pay extra for. We will definetly be staying here again when we are in the area.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank linric
Krista C, Front Office Manager at Hampton Inn by Hilton Sydney, responded to this review, 24 December 2012
We are very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, and very appreciative of this great review!

Front Desk Manager
Nova Scotia
Reviewed 10 December 2012

A friend recommended the Hampton Inn in Membertou, and I am so glad they did! From the moment I walked in the lobby, I knew we'd be pleased with our stay. Check in was quick and courteous. The hotel is absolutely beautiful, and the rooms are comfortable and spacious. We enjoyed the pool in the evening, and again in the morning before breakfast. The complementary breakfast was wonderful, with waffles, eggs, sausages, pancakes, juices, cereals, breads and fruit. Everything you could want. And with check out not until 12noon, we had time to relax. Just minutes from downtown Sydney, and very close to the Mayflower Mall, the Hampton Inn is the perfect choice. Unless the hotel is booked to capacity, I won't stay anywhere else on my next visit. Well done!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Krista C, Front Office Manager at Hampton Inn by Hilton Sydney, responded to this review, 11 December 2012
Thank you for the time to complete this review on our property. We are extrememly happy that you enjoyed your stay at the Hampton Inn, Sydney. Please be sure to contact us again if you are travelling in this area!

Krista Clarke
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sydney
Cambridge Suites - Sydney
Seascape Coastal Retreat
Silver Dart Lodge
Silver Dart Lodge
#1 of 7 in Baddeck

Been to Hampton Inn by Hilton Sydney? Share your experiences!