“Kitchenette a real boon”

Jacques Cartier Motel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sydney
Jacques Cartier Motel
Ranked #4 of 13 Sydney B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 June 2012

The motel is easy to find and the kitchenette is a real boon. I was able to cook some vegetables - a real rare treat when travelling.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank Pam635836

Reviewed 19 January 2012

I was travelling due to a death in the family, and had a limited budget for hotels. The value for the room is great. It was just large enough to ensure I didn't feel closed in, and very clean. The furntiture is very reminiscent of a bed&breakfast rather than a hotel. My only negative was I do hang up my towels to be re-used, but they were replaced every day anyway.

Free internet (with a code, ask at check in), but no long distance available on the phone (which would have been good for me, but I did have my cell phone so not too big an issue). I would have loved a microwave (and maybe a fridge) to be available as I have specific dietary needs.

The folks at the desk were wonderful to talk to, a true Cape Breton welcome home. I recommend the Jacqes Cartier if you want to travel around or be central in CB Regional without having to pay over $100 per night.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Cochrane_S8
Reviewed 30 September 2011

This is the perfect location if you just want somewhere to sleep before catching a flight in the morning. There is no restaurant, no food, the room is old, I was worried about bed bugs. Seemed fine. We survived. It was nice and cheap for just a one night sleep.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank missingthebuffet
Reviewed 24 August 2011

A nice family-run motel. Spacious modern rooms.
Clean rooms, friendly service. Laundromat available.
Limitations: phone in room doesn't dial long distance or 1-800 numbers, no hair dryer, no fridge in room.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Stan390
Reviewed 14 July 2011

While attending a family wedding in New Waterford, Cape Breton we stayed at the Jacques Cartier Motel just outside of Sydney for four nights. It's an older motel but has some renovated rooms. We stayed in the end unit (at back) which had an updated bathroom and featured a kitchenette outfitted with dishes, dish cloths etc. It was very clean, and with the motel itself set well back from the highway it was very quiet. I could see it being a good place for kids, because there was lots of room for them to run around outside. The motel also had a laundry room for guest use which came in handy. The room also had cable tv and free wireless internet. It was a pleasant surprise as I had read previous reviews on this sight which were not good. All I can say is, previous reviewers must have been expecting far too much. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank JMRadford_11
Reviewed 15 March 2010

Do yourself a favor... spend a few extra dollars, and stay somewhere with better accommodations.

The only good thing to say about it, is they had hot water.

Staff was unfriendly and rude - for no reason. They had no cots. Their beds are tiny, and the rooms are dusty and tiny.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank key_of_h
Reviewed 14 October 2009

The first thing I thought when I walked into my room was "you've got to be kidding me." The second thing I thought was "this is exactly like the motels in horror movies." Smell: heavily musty and vaguely of urine. Furniture: ancient, and cheap and tacky even when it was new 40 years ago. Bedspread: you wouldn't even want to accidentally brush it with your bare skin. Door: doorknob rusty, no lock on door. Yes, you read that correctly. No lock on door. The door automatically locks when closed, but there is no lock, deadbolt or chain. Given how seriously creepy this motel is, this is a problem. The worst feature was that there was no curtain, shade or blinds on the bathroom window, which is, you got it, right at eye level to the wide open area outside. There was some gauzy see-through covering that you could see right through, especially at night. Everything was creepy and depressing in that special way that only a roadside motel in a sad little town in the pouring rain could be. No hair dryer, coffee maker or luggage rack (really - no luggage rack?) and even the hangers (no closet, just an open rack) were a hodgepodge of plastic hangers stolen from retail clothing stores (the kind with size indicators and the name of the store on them) and bent wire messes. Really? You can get a dozen new hangers for a couple bucks from Walmart down the street. Even the lamps and light fixtures cast a harsh flourescent light perfect for a horror movie scene. The shower head was the water-saving kind that comes out like a mist and the water never gets hot - only warm. My room had only three features that were not tragic: the heater worked just fine, the bathroom had been renovated, and the bathroom faucet did not leak. Also, the owners were super pleasant. Unfortunately, their being nice didn't make my room decent, although a few very economical upgrades (like an opaque covering for the bathroom window and a slide lock!) certainly might have.

Let me put it this way: I am reallly, really cheap and I would gladly pay twice the $90 rate to stay in a better hotel (and yes, I certainly should have). I would also not stay here again if it cost nothing at all. For bargain hunters with simple needs and relatively low standards, $50-$60 would be a fair price to pay for the room I stayed in. $90 was highway robbery.

By the way, I found all of Sydney very depressing. If I could do it again, I would have stayed in another town (Cheticamp? Port Hawkesbury?) for my trip to the Cape Breton Highlands.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled solo