“A very pleasant stay” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Blockhouse Hill Bed & Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dartmouth
Blockhouse Hill Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 16 Dartmouth B&B and Inns
Oakville, Canada
“A very pleasant stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2012

I had the pleasure of visiting Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, in August and staying at the Blockhouse Bed and Breakfast. I was very pleased and more than satisfied both with the amenities offered to guests, and the hospitality that was extended by the vendor, Fred and Marion Evans. The room was most comfortable, private and quiet with a separate sitting room with television and fresh coffee available in the morning. Breakfast was a healthy offering of freshly made muffins, granola, fruit and juice. A hot entre was also offered. I look forward to my next trip to the area and dropping in for another visit with Mr. and Mrs. Evan. A wonderful expereince all round.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
hong kong
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2012

... and wonderful antidote to the multiple frustrations of flying United. As our UA flights out of Newark were cancelled then delayed, we arrived in Halifax past midnight and at Blockhouse Hill around 1.30am. Fred was waiting up for us. He also arranged for the car he'd earlier booked for us to meet our late arrival. On top of all that, Fred & Marion then provided one of the best B&B experiences we've had among many. No wonder it's No. 1 here.

We can only add to the raves of previous reviewers: hearty, delicious breakfasts (still salivating over Marion's home-made granola & butterscotch muffins); fresh coffee brought up to the guest sitting room for early risers; lovely Wentworth bedroom overlooking their peach tree, spotless bathroom, good shower, bathrobes & soaps provided; fast wifi; nice music, jazz & classical; all in all, a lovingly decorated home that makes you feel at home. But what made this B&B special were Marion & Fred, who were always helpful, patient with our questions, interested in where we came from. Fred is a marvelous storyteller with a cheeky sense of humour; had we known we would've stayed an extra night just for their company!

The location in Dartmouth, 5 mins walk to the ferry terminal, is also preferable to downtown Halifax -- you get a refreshing 15 min ride on the open-air deck of the little ferry, water views of Halifax harbour, and an excuse to have another hot lobster roll at Evans seafood restaurant facing the pier! Unless you're a party animal (ferry stops at 11.30pm), you'll love Blockhouse Hill B&B and its exceptionally gracious hosts.

Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2012

This lovely B&B is just a short walk to the Halifax ferry. Fred and Marion are exceptional hosts. The B&B is clean, inviting, and comfortable. Breakfasts (three cheese omelettes one day and stuffed French toast the next along with fresh fruit, homemade muffins, etc) were outstanding--best we had in ten days of traveling in Nova Scotia. Fred is extremely knowledgable about the area and its history. Gracious hospitality. Quiet, residential location.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2012

We stayed at Blockhouse Hill BnB from Aug 2/3 for 2 nights. First off, the location is amazing, it is a 5min walk to the ferry that crosses over to downtown Halifax and close to all the shopping/dining areas of Dartmouth. The area is residential and very quiet. There is also a park called the Dartmouth Common close by and you can walk up the hill and get a great view of Halifax waterfront from there.

We stayed in the Wenworth room. It was on the first floor of the house. There are 2 rooms with a shared bathroom. This was not a problem for us, but something to keep in mind. The room was very comfortable, great bed. The room had a fan, bathrobes, closets for clothes and the room can be locked if you are out.

There is also a common TV room on this floor where Fred brings up coffee every morning. The inn also has great WiFi internet access that is very reliable and works with no issues. This is a big plus in my book, as I am an internet junkie. I used my iPad on the trip and there were no issues.

Now for the hosts and breakfast. Fred and Marion are an amazing couple who run this BnB, they are so warm and friendly. I loved Fred's humor and all his help in getting us directions for our trips to Peggy's Cove and Lunenberg. Marion is so welcoming as well and her breakfasts are to die for. Make sure you get a taste of her home-made granola and banana-chocolate muffins...yummy!

As for parking, you can park on the street just outside (safe) or in their parking space. Now the parking space fits only 2 cars, one for Fred and Marion. I just left our car keys with Fred so that they could pull our car in/out as needed. We left the car at the BnB when we visited Halifax, as you can walk to the ferry terminal of Dartmouth to cross over to Halifax. The ferry runs every 15min all day long ($2.25 one way).

I would most definitely stay here again, it was a wonderful experience and the #1 rank is spot on! I wish to thank Fred/Marion for their help and hospitality and look forward to going back to Nova Scotia soon.

Schoneck, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2012

Unfortunately we had a little bit jetlag when staying in this nice B&B (because of flying in from abroad this night). The house with the rooms itself, the location to visit Halifax and particulary the owner are very friendly. Fred has to be managed the breakfast alone, because his wife was visiting their children. And he made it perfectly. One of the best breakfast while our stay in Canada!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2012

We loved Fred and Marion Evans, and their Blockhouse Hill B and B, from the moment we checked out their website. Initially, I carried on an e-mail correspondence with Fred, who eagerly answered all my myriad of questions about blockhouses, Sir John Wentworth, and the HalifaxTattoo. The site tells it like it is: this is a home where family and friends are well-loved and cared for. Family portraits fill every wall and the guest rooms pay attention to every traveler's need--an elegant and comfortable 4 poster bed, plush robes, soft chairs, plenty of fresh towels, an adjoining sitting/tv room where Fred brings coffee and a pitcher of fresh cream every morning at 7, and which Marion has stocked with maple leaf cream cookies and tea, and a modern well-supplied bathroom. The shared bathroom was no problem as we worked out a schedule for its use with the other guests. Marion's fabulous home cooked breakfasts, from the peach and strawberry jams to the homemade granola, caramel-topped muffins, blueberry pancakes, and Annapolis Valley fresh strawberries were very much enjoyed and nicely presented by Fred. My husband and I enjoyed planning our trips to Peggy's Cove, Mahone Bay, Lunenberg, Cape Breton Island, and Prince Edward Island with Fred and shared many a laugh with our host as we talked late into the evening. When Fred found out my husband was a runner, he offered to drive him over to his favorite running course. We look forward to returning to the Blockhouse Hill B and B to attend Celtic Colours in the fall of 2013. For prime location, down home hospitality, great food and friendship, we whole heartedly recommend Fred and Marion Evans' wonderful Blockhouse Hill B and B.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Sir John Wentworth Room and were quite comfortable.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Vancouver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2012

It was my first time visiting Halifax and I wanted to stay somewhere homey and affordable. I found this place online. What made me decide on this B&B was that the owner, Marion bakes her own bread and makes her own jam. Yup I was sold! I also like it that it's located in Dartmouth, which was only minutes from Downtown.This home is situated in a quiet town, walking distance to the harbour and the ferry to downtown. There is a coffee shop, English restaurant, post office, historian Shaker house, Irish pub, and Italian restaurant nearby.

I was very impressed by this B&B because I felt like all my needs are met. Friendly owners, free parking, spotless furnitures, plenty of towels, super soft bath robe (yay!), soap, and they have a mini living room upstairs. It was like going to grandma's house!

Yes, the baked goods were yummy! While I was there, I had her bread and muffins. The amount of food is being served to me I felt like a goddess. There was juice, milk, yogurt, toast, eggs and bacon, muffin and fruits.

I totally recommend this place!

Room Tip: Either room is fine!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dartmouth
Cambridge Suites - Halifax
Hampton Inn by Hilton Halifax Downtown
Dartmouth Centre
Holiday Inn Halifax Harbourview
Homewood Suites by Hilton Halifax-Downtown, Nova Scotia, Canada

Been to Blockhouse Hill Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!