“Can't wait to go back”

Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Dartmouth
Bridgewater, Canada
“Can't wait to go back”
Reviewed 13 June 2011

Stayed at another hotel a few weeks previous and had a bad experience so we tried the Best Western. We go to HRM once or twice a month and this is where we will be going to from now on. We used to stay downtown but the parking and internet prices are ridiculous. Also, none of the hotels downtown offer free breakfast.
Upon arrival we were greeted with cookies at the front desk. The staff were gracious and very accommodating. I had left my phone charger at home and the staff offered a box of ones left behind by other guests for me to go through to see if they had one for me. Well, I found one. Used it and handed it back the next morning.
The room was very spacious and very clean. I loved the decor. It's a small detail but I loved that the coffee maker was not in the bathroom like other hotels. Bed was comfortable and bedding was very nice, crisp and clean.
We did not use the pool but there were lots of families in there as we went in to check it out. There was a wedding in the hotel that weekend. My GF was thrilled to be in the lobby when the Bride and Groom came through. I told her to not get any ideas. We cheated a look into the room and it looked really nice. Didn't know a Best Western could have such a nice hall, it was huge.
The breakfast in the morning was good and fresh. Lots of choice including waffles. The kitchen was on top of everything and the service was good. During check out we were offered an apple and a coffee to go from their new Kuerig coffee machine in the lobby. The same one we have at home.
All in all the Best Western Dartmouth was just what we needed and restored our faith in hotels in Dartmouth. We'll be back.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
BWDManager, General Manager at Best Western Plus Dartmouth Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 15 June 2011
Good Day bluenoser246

Thank you for your detailled review. We are so happy that you are pleased with our hotel.
We look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Reviewed 22 May 2011

Wonderful hotel. Room service was great and glad to hear staff being concerned about noise from other guests. Overall was a great stay. Quiet and a wonderful breakfast!
Only complaint is the hot tub which has been removed but is still advertised on the website. Suggestion to update your site to avoid misleading information. Overall would go back again!

• Stayed May 2011
2 Thank Saundersfam
Good Day Saundersfam

Thank you for your kind comments on our hotel. The hot tub has been removed from all websites that we have control over and we are working on getting all updated. Thank you for pointing this out.
We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.
Miramichi, Canada
Reviewed 9 May 2011

We visted Dartsmouth often, and have stayed at this Hotel before. Was very disappointed with our recent visit. Checked in on Friday, internet was not working. Husband spoke to the Guy at the front desk, he said he just called it in to Eastlink, the internet was down. We left and came back to the Hotel around 8 Friday night, to the internet still not working. I spoke to a Lady at the front desk who told me that the internet has been down for over a week. I asked her why we were not told this, upon check in. She said don't know, I wasn't here. Saturday morning we got up, had breakfast in the Hotel. Only 3 guess at one table, and we couldn't find a clean table to sit at. Breakfast was ok. We left the hotel for a day of shopping at 8:30 Saturday morning. Came back to the room at 3, to find that our room was not cleaned. I called down to the front desk, spoke to the same Lady that told me the internet was down for a week, she said oh sorry, we are busy, the cleaning lady will get to you. I walked down to the front desk about 20 mins after I called. Told the same lady that I was not happy with the service at all. Her response was "Not Much I can do". Another Lady came out of the Back Room to tell us that the Internet was working, and that we should of been looked after. Long story, but she came into our room, did something and fixed the internet. The cleaning lady came in to clean the room...told me I was a Lucky Lady, because My Husband had "Beautiful Eyes", didn't think this was a good comment. We went for supper came back and the Internet was not working again. Was find when the Manager came to fix it, but the minute you logged out and back in, we couldn't use it. The Manager did give us a discount on our rooms, but still was not a Happy Guess on this weekend. Seems like the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tinytim1966
BWDManager, General Manager at Best Western Plus Dartmouth Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 17 May 2011
Good Day Tinytim1966
Thank you for taking the time to do a review on your stay with us. I apologize that your stay had some issues.
On the week in question, there were some issues with our internet provider but these issues were intermittent. For the most part the internet was working fine. At times when the internet would go down in the area, it did take a restart to get it going again. I do realize that this issue impacted your stay but for the most part, it was beyond our control. Our internet is very good on a normal basis and we have very few problems.
As far as your room not being done at 3 PM, we do have a policy of doing check out rooms first to get them ready for new guests that are checking in. On weekends this is most imperative as guests show up early to check in. This is normal procedure for most hotels. If you wanted your room cleaned before a particular time, we would have been more than happy to accommodate you.
The issues that you experienced at our hotel was not normal of the service that we provide. You have stated that you have stayed with us before and your stays were without incident. I am glad that the Manager on Duty was able offer you a discount and I believe that one was warranted. I would be happy to welcome you back to the Best Western PLUS Dartmouth Hotel and Suites in the near future. Please contact me personally and I will make your reservation.
Moncton, Canada
Reviewed 17 April 2011

Everything and I mean everything about this hotel is above par. Checkin, rooms, gym, pool, convention centers, meeting rooms, and the gem is the RESTAURANT - Trendz. One word, INCREDIBLE food. I beleive i saw the award at the front desk for its BEst Restaurant of Halifax for 2010 and I agree. I had the Lobster rizoto, crab cakes, cheescake, all amazing. WOuld recommend anyone to stay here.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LouisBreau
BWDManager, General Manager at Best Western Plus Dartmouth Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 2 May 2011
Dear LouisBreau

Thank you so much for your glowing review. We are indeed proud of our restaurant and hotel. I am so glad that your time with us was a good one.

We look forward to serving you again in the near future.
Cape Breton Island, Canada
Reviewed 3 April 2011

I have travelled quite extensively thru most of Canada , the US, Eastern and Southern Caribbean as well as a couple European destination , but as you can see I haven't taken the time to write reviews about many stays. However I felt in was neccesary to write about this hotel. We stayed here with a large group ( Hockey Team) consisting of 15-17 yr old boys with their siblings , parents and coaches. The staff couldn't have been less accomadating if they tried. They inforced a strict 10pm policy everyone in their rooms, no one walking the halls, nobody in the pool , although it didn't close until 11pm. The manager sat guard on the floor. I understand that there are other guests in the hotel, but on a whole these kids were extremley well behaved considering the age, and the team took up most of the 2nd floor. If there was good managment they would ensure these team were located on the bottom floor toward the end of the hall, to be sure not to disturb anyone. The manager kicked the team and their siblings out of the pool a little after 10pm and then complained when they were hanging out in the halls!! I mean come on people pick your battles there was nobody else occupying the pool except the team, I would think it best to leave them there where they weren't disturbing anyone, and their was no worry of anything being broken, or anyone getting hurt. They weren't misbehaving just hanging out and chatting enjoying each others company. It felt as if Hilter himself was running this hotel.
We had requested a hospitality room as their were two players who were celebrating their birthdays that weekend, and the team and parents wanted to get together to have some cake. We were told in a not very friendly tone " We do not do hospitality!" to which I replied well perhaps we could just use a meeting room, and if its an issue with the cleaning , we'd be happy to take care of that for you". She asked that I wait at the desk and she returned a few minutes later to inform me that they could give us a meeting room for an hour at the cost of $160/hour!!!! I was appauled, we had rented a total of 13 rooms for 3 nights and this is the best they could do?
As a business owner myself I couldn't imagine treating my clients this way. I realize they have business clients that stay all the time, however as a succesful manager , its in your best interest to find a way to accomadate and live up to the expectations of all your guests. I even returned to the desk after our games later that evening to speak to the night manager thinking he might be a little more generous. I was told the same thing. I asked if we could have the cake in the restaurant/bar, but being that it was a bar no children under the age of 19 would be allowed ( that I understood) , so I just said well seeing as we can't possibly fit 40-50 ppl in a guestroom, perhaps it was just easiest to have it in the lobby, to which I got recieved a really surprised look, and a response," We can't have that many ppl in the lobby, ughhh well how long do you plan to be there?", I told him maybe an hour tops, and he agreed that this would be okay.
Bottomline here ppl is that if you have large group especially children, there are many many other hotels in the area, Hampton Inn just down the road right in the Dartmouth Crossing and with a waterslide, was much more accomdating and went out of their way to ensure everyone had a great time when we stayed there, but with such a huge hockey tournament in the area, they unfortunately booked up early. Best to look elsewhere. The Westin , Marriott Harbourfront and the Four Points Sheraton were also much more group friendly.
As for the hotel itself, its new ,and the beds were comfy other then that , I wasn't really overly impressed, kind of an isolated area, housekeeping was a nightmare, we had to phone to have towels delivered to our room twice , for some reason the maid ran out of clean ones, we had to request glasses, shampoo, and other tioletries that she forgot to leave in the room, felt like it just wasn't cleaned to my liking, rush job at best. For business clients who just want a place to lie their heads, it may work , for groups honestly do yourself a favor and look elsewhere!!!

• Stayed April 2011
BWDManager, General Manager at Best Western Plus Dartmouth Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 11 April 2011
Good Day Love2travel286

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our hotel. It is through valued clients such as yourself that we can find areas to improve and make our guests stay better.
I feel that where the ball was dropped in this case was communication. Upon booking your rooms, the contact for your group was presented with the same document that you were presented with upon check in. This “Code of Ethics for Teams” was agreed upon by this person when the rooms were booked. All of your concerns, hospitality suites, pool hours, kids roaming the halls and room placement are covered in this document. Yes, we do enforce our quiet time of 10 PM and this is for the benefit of the other 110 rooms that were occupied by paying guests. We do appreciate that you are paying guests also but we do reserve the right to keep our hotel as a quiet and restful place. The Best Western Plus Dartmouth caters to teams on a weekly basis and like your team, these parents and kids are made aware of the rules that we have in place. We do not regularly get complaints about these rules and everyone enjoys their time here, I am sorry that this was not the case for your team. These rules are in place to prevent the mayhem that happens on a regular basis at other hotels.
Once again, thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and we look forward to serving you again in the near future.
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 26 January 2011

Great central location, close to malls and downtown, the Best Western Dartmouth was a gem of a find.
Excellent staff, friendly and quite accommodating. Room was neat, Bed amazing with tons of pillows of all firmness available, jacuzzi was so inviting! Would recommend to anyone! Thanks so much for a great evening!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Happyjourney75
Moncton, Canada
Reviewed 21 December 2010

This is an excellent place to stay if you are planning a shopping trip to Dartmouth Crossing. Also close to the Mic Mac Mall. The Best Western is new, clean, quiet and the room we had was large and equipped with microwave and flat screen TV. The food at the restaurant was excellent and the service very good. Reservation was handled without any problems and the front desk staff were friendly and helpful. Had a very comfortable room and the quality of the room was excellent in all areas. Overall, an excellent stay. I would not hesitate to recommend this establishment to anyone.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wearytraveller093
BWDManager, General Manager at Best Western Plus Dartmouth Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 22 December 2010
Hi Wearytraveller093

Thank you for your kind words. We are proud of our award winning Hotel and Staff.

We look forward to serving you again in the near future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dartmouth
Comfort Inn - Dartmouth
#5 of 11 in Dartmouth
Downtown Halifax
Hampton Inn by Hilton Halifax Downtown

Been to Best Western Plus Dartmouth Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!