“Excellent Hotel and Exceptional Service”

Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton Halifax - Dartmouth
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Dartmouth
St. John's, Canada
“Excellent Hotel and Exceptional Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014

Stayed here for a week while on buisness and brought the family along. Nothing but good things to say about this hotel. The breakfast buffet was perfect as a serve-yourself with many options and room to move. The pool was perfect for our family and kept clean and tidy. The rooms were immaculate and staff went out of their way to assist with my wife and child and provide some of the best service that we have seen in ANY hotel we have stayed. The hotel was very popular with familys but the hotel still maintained a very clean, professional look that was impressive. Will definitely return to this hotel in the future and would reccomend it without hesitation. Only downside - if you don't have a car or rental, this may not be the place for you if you want to get into Halifax and are not willing to spend money on a cab. Surrounding shopping is nice, but for downtown people, this is not the hotel.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
NCHR, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton Halifax - Dartmouth, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Thank you very much for your feedback. I will be sure to pass your kind words on to our staff. We agree with you, our breakfast buffet is delicious and convenient! We're very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Hampton Inn & Suites.

Please join us again,
Rick Norman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

We stayed at this hotel last summer and we went back again this year. You can expect usual, dependable Hampton experience. The room we got was quite big and clean. The free breakfast is great especially if you're travelling with kids and don't want to drag the family out to find a place to eat early in the morning or spend money on outrageously expensive breakfast at some hotel restaurants. The pool has a slide and my kids had so much fun, they didn't want to get out of the hotel :-) It's also right next to Dartmouth Crossing if you are looking for a place to shop. I would go back here if we're traveling to Halifax again.

Halifax, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

We stayed at this hotel during a family celebration. A very convenient location and very clean. The room was very comfortable. They opened up extra rooms to accommodate the breakfast crowd which was a first I have seen. We would definitely stay here again.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

Okay, I don't know how to rate this place... so here goes.

Location: EXCELLENT!

(Keep reading til the end please...)

To continue...

Parking: FREE and AMPLE!
Cleanliness: EXCELLENT!
Room Amenities: EXCELLENT!
Staff: EXCELLENT from desk to housekeeping! Again... EXCELLENT!
Price: PERFECT!
Elevators: FAST!
Quiet: EXCELLENT! No street noise at all!
Free Breakfast: EXCELLENT!

I have stayed AT THIS LOCATION twice before (two years ago) and it was FANTASTIC!

So what's the problem??

PAIN! For me, anyway. Four nights of literally excruciating pain... as a result of the bed!

I sleep in a hotel bed 300 night a year (no exaggeration) and I have NEVER had such an experience before.

The first evening's sleep was interrupted (rudely I might ad) by a pain in my big toe! (I won't get graphic, I promise!)

"Oh no... not Gout!" I exclaimed to no one but me (I was alone)!

It was bad and the pain started radiating all over the lower limb. Not good...

So i naturally did what any pain-inflicted person might do and got out of bed.

Huh? The pain stopped! I knew it HAPPENED because the residual sensitivity was there... but the pain? Poof! Gone.

Well, back under the covers with a confused look on my face (or so I imagine) and a sigh of relief that the episode came to an end. Then seconds later... YEE-OUCH!!! All over again... but moreso!

Okay... out comes the iPhone and the "doctor" in me starts looking up symptoms of gout, etc etc...

I swallow two ibuprofen and silently pray that I will never do ANYthing wrong again IF the pain would "go away" and I can get some sleep!

Since for the moment anyway, the pain DIDN'T abate... I hopped out of bed once more and lo and behold... pain gone!

Eh??? Does gout do this???

Okay... suffice it to say that the next few nights were more of the same... pain free out of bed and pain IN it... but after the second toe-pained night, the discomfort travelled to other areas... hips, shoulders. I changed positions. Tried the other side of the bed... used different pillows (even my own which I travel with). Four ibuprofen-filled nights in a row.

By 2:30 am on Wed nite-thurs morning I had had enough. (I was so uncomfortable I even tried sleeping on the floor!)

I called another place and booked a room at a hotel I know has great beds and booked a room for the next night. I popped two more ibuprofen tabs and started packing.
An hour later, with the pain meds kicking in and me a tad more tired, I crawled back under the covers and hoped for the best.

By the way, did I mention the bed sags from the weight of your body?? I am not a "heavy-weight" btw.

Of I went to a Four Points Sheraton and figured if the pain returned in a different bed then the problem laid with me not in the bed upon which I laid!

It was like a cloud... a soft and fluffy one! No pain. No ache. Just a sleep that puts a smile on your face.

So maybe it was just my room. Maybe I got a bed some kids used as a trampoline before checking out and before I checked in.

Gout? I don't think so. Pinched nerve?? I'm no doctor (even though my iPhone makes me think I am)... but the "nerve" self-diagnosis sounds pretty good.

Would i stay there again?

Well, the place is EXCELLENT...

I would want to find out if they've upgraded the beds... and I'd certainly want to test it first.

I heard no complaints from anyone else but should you stay there and (don't let the power of suggestion get you here please) should you experience strange discomforts.. it may not be your aging bod after all.

If the excellent night's sleep at the other hotel hadn't happened following the four bad one's, I assure you I would have accepted it was just me.

Sleep well, everyone.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Harvey C
NCHR, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton Halifax - Dartmouth, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Thank you for your review. We are happy that you enjoyed our hotel. We are sorry that you found your bed to be uncomfortable. In the future, please do not hesitate to contact the front desk with your concerns, as we may be able to switch your room. We hope that your pain has diminished, and that you are feeling better.

Kind regards,
Barrington passage
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

I usually never write reviews but after staying at a Hampton resort in Maine the month before we loved it and decided to Stay in Dartmouth for the night as a little family vacay with our one year old. it was extremely Clean, very friendly, playpen available, kiddy pool and a safe/fun water slide for older kids and free breakfast. We usually always stay downtown Hali at the Marriott but being away from all the busyness and able to walk to all the shops in Dartmouth crossing with the stroller was nice :)

• Stayed June 2014
Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

Nowhere else in the city will you get: free internet, free parking and most importantly free delicious hot breakfast and super kid friendly service except at the Hampton Inn. Movie nights, free tea,coffee and hot chocolate for the kids. Breakfast is exceptional, beautiful, clean and trendy rooms. Also in the centre of Dartmouth Crossing Shopping centre, walking distance to Mc Donald's, Tim Horton's and 5 minutes drive to many other restaurants.
Heads-up, this hotel is very busy with a lot of kids on weekends.

Room Tip: If you are travelling with kids, the 2-Queen suite is worth the money with a nice small kitchenette.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

Great location in Dartmouth Crossing and shopping galore. Food of good quality was readily available but not cheap. Lack of local transit is a drawback so check ahead for options. There are many local venues for entertainment and recreation for families with young children all within walking distance. Pool was an added bonus especially with the provision of clean towels and long hours.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

NCHR, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton Halifax - Dartmouth, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
We’re so happy to hear that you enjoyed your visit. It sounds like you had the opportunity to take advantage of our great location and convenient amenities. We hope that you will stay with us again next time you’re in town.

Kind Regards,
Rick Norman
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dartmouth
Downtown Halifax
Hampton Inn by Hilton Halifax Downtown
Downtown Halifax
Homewood Suites by Hilton Halifax-Downtown, Nova Scotia, Canada

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton Halifax - Dartmouth? Share your experiences!