“Great Staff! Great Breakfast! Clean Hotel!”

Comfort Inn - Dartmouth
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Dartmouth
Reviewed 20 March 2010

I have just checked out of the Comfort Inn, this morning. I'm sitting in the airport waiting for my flight, and thought I would share some thoughts. Whenever I am in Halifax/Dartmouth, I stay here!! I could stay in downtown Halifax, at more than twice the price, but why?? The room they put me in last night was immaculately clean. They told me they just put brand new beds in the groundfloor rooms last month, and it was the best night sleep I've gotten for some time. I feel so comfortable here now, that it feels like home. Even the breakfast is wonderful. It's just what you need to start your day.... Hard boiled egg, juice, yogurt, a bagel and cereal, and even a banana for the road, will keep me going until I get to my next destination,
and lunch. I highly recommend the Comfort Inn Dartmouth as a great, friendly and cozy hotel, at a fair price while you are travelling.

Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank mhvchester

Reviewed 10 September 2009

I stayed here with my brother on a recent trip to Halifax. We enjoyed our stay here very much. The location is good; just two minutes from the MacKay Bridge to downtown Halifax or about 10 minutes to the Dartmouth ferry terminal. It is also close to the Mic Mac Mall. I was told that the area is not so safe but it looked fine to me. Additionally there is no reason to walk around the neighbourhood as it is mostly industrial.

The rooms were nice and clean but we got a second floor room and there is no elevator in the hotel. The beds were big and comfortable. The TV remote was not so responsive. But we were not interested in calling downstairs for new batteries. Additional to the beds were chairs and a table.

The internet in the rooms is not wireless so you will need to use a cable to connect.

Breakfast: I read some previous reviews about the breakfast in this place. They’re true! Breakfast is in the lobby but there is no place to eat; you're to bring the food to your room to consume it. There is a big sign in the lobby saying that "Breakfast consists of ONE bread product, ONE egg, ONE fruit, and ONE...” There is a lady watching what everyone takes like a hawk. I was careful not to exceed my limit.

A good idea that they employ here, is that on the day you check out, they slip your bill under your door - with your credit card already charged. All you have to do is return the room keys and goodbye!

Overall, this is a good hotel and I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2009
1  Thank verazzano
Reviewed 4 August 2009

From the outside, the hotel appears to be a little run down. It's not the greatest place in town, but I was pleasantly surprised by the cleanliness, service, and the BREAKFAST. The free breakfast included everything from eggs to waffles and made up for any shortfalls.

The hotel is very clean inside - not modern and could use some upgrading - but definitely worth the expense. Even though there are only two floors, I was disappointed to find out there was no elevator because I usually get stuck carrying the bags.

The staff was exceptional - they helped with a complicated check-in (my fault), created custom ponchos for my friends and I as we headed to an outdoor (rainy) concert, and stopped my teenage daughter when she attempted to bring her younger brother across the street for pizza (based on the time of night). I was very impressed.

Rooms are the usual - more modern than I expected. I'd stay there again - but we do usually look for a hotel with a pool for the kids. It's also a little out of the way - from everything!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank sweeticeblue
Reviewed 27 July 2009

Needed a place to stay while on Vaca to see the tall ships. Room clean, updated and had fridge and microwave. Very quiet hotel. What else do you need. The free breakfast was awesome. Need a place to stay I highly recommend the Comfort Inn.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 November 2008

Area: The area of the hotel was the downfall of the hotel. It is pretty much in a industreal area which has a higer than norm crime rate, however, there is no reason to walk around the hotel, because there is nothing in the area. There is a plaza that has a chineese restaurant. In order to get any food, you would have to cross the bridge into Halifax or drive further down Windmill Rd. towards Dartmouth to access anything. The hotel is close to the MacKay bridge. It is right off the 111 highway that connects to the bridge. Windmill Rd. is also a major access road for Dartmouth as it connects Dartmouth with Bedford and Upper/Middle Sackville. Its a good area as long as you have a car.

The Check In/Staff: Very fast and quick check in. We were there with a group of cadets from Cape Breton for our annual Halifax trip. We had about 20 rooms booked. We were all checked in within 7-10 min. The staff were very friendly and helpfull.

Rooms: All of our rooms were on the upper floor (only 2 floors in the hotel). The rooms were spacious and comfy. The bed had a bit of a squeak in it. The bathroom was great. It looks as if it has been remodelled in the past few years. For the bed, it was comfy, if not a bit too hard. The pillows and bedding were out of this world COMFY! They were soo good, that when I got home, I had to buy some from my local Comfort Inn!

Security: As previous reviewers have stated, the security is a little much here. I dont think that they enjoy having groups of people staying there. None of our kids were hanging around in the hall, they were going from room to room, just talking to friends or going to the pop/vending machine. The security guard and the lady from the front desk tells us that we ALL have to stay in our rooms for the night. In the guest guide, it says that quiet time starts at 11:00 pm. It was 9:30. They were not even being loud. This is the experience that I did not like. Oh well. I guess they got a complaint from a guest and that is the procedure that they have to follow. It was not that bad compared to the hotel we stayed at the year before.

Breakfast: No real breakfast room here, no tables. Just a big buffett table located at the end of the hall of the lobby. It was a average breakfast. I do like that they have somebody there restocking the breakfast and if you want anything, just ask. Other reviewers have mentioned the limit on the breakfast items. There is a sign there and I did see it. However, they did not inforce it. The only thing that I really did eat was the pasteries, they did run out and the breakfast lady was more than happy to give me more and some for the bus while we were on the road. I thought this was a really nice touch.

Summary: It is a really good motor hotel that is in a good location for driving. If your with a group, just make sure that they dont make much noise. Other than that, you cant go wrong by staying here.

• Stayed: March 2008
Reviewed 7 October 2008

I had a wonderful time while visiting the area. Staff was very helpful and professional. Great rates - great location

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 July 2008

After reviewing some of the comments written about this hotel I felt obligated to write my own review. The Comfort Inn Dartmouth is always a pleasure to stay. The location is close to all amentities, extremely clean and with a very friendly staff who go over and above so your stay can be enjoying and relaxing. I have stayed at this hotel on several trips to Dartmouth and was present a few weekends over the past winter while there were sport teams present. For the most part after 10 o clock the hotel quieted down. Anyone who travels to hotels while there are sports teams present realize that at times it can get loud and have alot of kids present in the hallways. This one trip in April when I stayed there was a hockey tournament on called the SEDMA tournament. The noise and kids running up and down the hallways to the wee hours of the night was uncalled for. We were all kids at one time and all enjoyed a trip to a hotel with our friends. Kids will be kids but some control must be taken by the parents of these kids. That weekend was so loud and kids everywhere that the hotel had to bring in extra security to try to keep the kids controllable because some parents didnt have the respect of others to control their kids.

I spoke to the managment on the Saturday and they assured me that exrta security would be broght in so the hotels guests other than the teams could have somewhat of relaxing night.

Do not take me the wrong way but kids will be kids as we all were but its the parents that need to step up.

Hats off to the staff for keeping ALL guests in mind whether it was one room rented of 10.

Thanks,