“Very happy with this hotel”

Holiday Inn Halifax Harbourview
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Dartmouth
Moncton, Canada
“Very happy with this hotel”
Reviewed 21 May 2013

The front desk staff was very helpful and automatically asked us if we wanted a king bed rather than the 2 doubles we had booked with air miles. The beds were soft and comfortable with choices of pillows and the furniture was updated. The bathrooms, however, were not completely updated. Old tile, tub, toilet and sink but the actual fixtures like the tap and showerhead had been updated. The shower curtain was also updated to the newer curved design. I felt the older tile and other porcelain was very much just aesthetics. It was very functional and I didn't feel I was lacking anything. If I was a large person I probably would have missed some elbow room though. The location was very convenient to downtown Halifax with the bridge right next door. It was also very close to the ferry terminal.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Greg M, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Halifax Harbourview, responded to this review, 2 June 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience in our hotel with your fellow travellers! We always strive to make our guests stays with us as comfortable as possible, and I am happy to see we were able to provide you with an upgraded room for your stay.

I hope we get to see you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Conception Bay South, Canada
Reviewed 17 May 2013

Don't let the title fool you. I most certainly enjoyed our stay at the Holiday Inn Harbourview but it could do with an infusion of cash especially in the bathrooms. We stayed on the Executive floor for 4 nights and even though the room was large and inviting, the bathroom certainly let it down. It is old and is in desperate need of updating. The bed was large and comfortable. Actually, I think it's been the nicest bed I have ever slept in.
The restaurant and front desk staff were helpful and friendly. However, I don't think the $15.00 for the breakfast buffet is worth the money. It could do with some more choices.

Great location next to the MacDonald Bridge and close to shopping. I highly recommended staying here. Ask for Harbour View :)

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
It's always great reading about a great experience from one of our guests. Our beds truely are very comfortable, and we have had the majority of our hotel rooms updated with new mattresses within the past year!

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. We hope to have you stay with us again soon!
Nova Scotia
Reviewed 16 May 2013

I recently stayed at the Holiday Inn in Dartmouth while in town for meetings and found it to be very friendly and comfortable. The front desk staff were very accommodating regarding my room requests and subsequent room changes. After reading tripadvisor reviews I requested a room with a harbor view so they switched my room but the room was only a couple feet from the elevator so I asked to change rooms. The front desk clerk was very dedicated to finding the room that best suited me and I appreciated her helpfulness. I ended up on the top floor with a view from the side of the hotel which overlooked the bridge was great for me. The room and floor looked like it had been updated and beds were great - nice white duvet and pillows marked according to softness. The bathroom was dated but impeccably clean. Like other reviewers noted the bathroom is small with the sink and mirror outside the room. Having no mirror in the toilet/tub bathroom was a bit inconvenient but not a big problem. There is also a little open closet across from the sink. The TV was also new. The initial room I had was one floor lower and the bathroom was more worn looking.
The restaurant was the highlight of the hotel for me as one of the waitresses I had on three different occasions remembered me, provided additional information about menu items, made great suggestions and generally could not do enough to help. I wish I had her name but she did say she had just completed a program in hospitality after working in the industry for about 20 years. I very much enjoyed a chicken, asparagus dish with feta cheese - a very unique combination of flavor. I had a voucher for breakfast and chose to order the homemade hot oatmeal which came with a few berries on top and the brown sugar and crème on the side, coffee, juice and a bagel which was more than ample. Again the wait staff at breakfast were incredibly helpful and efficient. As well the room service was very good and you were able to order food as take out and pick up yourself and bring back to the room. Room service ended at 10 p.m. I highly recommend the grilled cheese with chicken. The cons of the hotel would be the immediate area, at times the traffic was heavy and it was tricky getting into the front of the hotel, the bathrooms are on the small side and the elevator is slow. The pros are the comfy beds, close proximity to the bridge if you need to get to Halifax and not far from Dartmouth Crossing/Micmac (10- 15 min drive), the friendly staff and having an in-house restaurant with good food choices. For people new to the area, the Dartmouth Sportsplex is directly across the street as well as a strip mall with subway, Shoppers Drug Mart, Dollar Store and a MacDonalds and Tim Hortons just up the street. The hotel has a large parking lot with ample parking and it is easy to find a spot.

Room Tip: The top floor is a bit better than other floors with some minor updates.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
We are very happy you enjoyed your time with us, and that we were able to make your stay so memorable. Cafe 101 is one of our hidden gems where our Executive Chef Erwin Palo creates menu items that helped him become the Atlantic Candaian Chef of the year in 2012!

Thank you for taking this opportunity to share your experience with us. We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Paget Parish, Bermuda
Reviewed 8 May 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Holiday Inn Halifax Harbourview hotel for four nights. The hotel entrance (entry) was being worked on but inside the lobby was very nice and clean and the front desk staff were very welcoming. Our room was a good size and included a king size bed, two nightstands, desk, chair, ottoman, small fridge and flat screen tv. The room including bath were immaculate. The cleaning lady was very friendly and stocked the room daily with clean towels. The business center looked new and consisted of two computers and two printers. The gym was also of good quality. The parking lot is very large and the spaces closer to the hotel fill up quite quickly in the early evening. We had the buffet breakfast for two mornings (basic, but nice) but found it a little pricey at $15 a head + tax. We felt very comfortable staying at the Holiday Inn and slept very well as the bed and pillows were exceptional. All was good and we would definitely stay at this hotel again!

Room Tip: We stayed on the 7th floor overlooking the toll booth of Mac Donald Bridge. The room was quiet and w...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking this opportunity to share your experience with us with other travellers. As you indicated, we have made some upgrades to our guest rooms including 32" LCD TV's and complimentary wireless internet in all our rooms with the options to upgrade your internet speed.

We look forward to having you stay with us again soon.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 30 April 2013

It's a typical chain hotel located just across the bridge in Dartmouth. The lobby looked to be newly renovated but not the rooms themselves. But it was clean and comfortable and the staff were very friendly so it suited our needs fine. A good reason to choose this location is that it is right across the bridge from Halifax and they have free parking at the hotel. So if you're visiting the city and want to save a few bucks, this is a nice option.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Greg M, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Halifax Harbourview, responded to this review, 5 May 2013
Thank you for taking the oppotunity to share your experience at our hotel with your fellow travellers. We always enjoy hearing about our guests positive experiences. Although our guest parking is not complimentary, it is available for a very reasonable fee. Although we do often have groups or conventions where you are staying under a special rate which has it included.

We look forward to the next time you come to stay with us on your next visit to Halifax.

Thank you again from all of us at the Holiday Inn Harbourview
St. John's, Canada
Reviewed 8 April 2013

The most impressive part of this hotel was the lobby as it has been the only part of the hotel updated in years. A front desk staff member (female) was very rude to adults and children. The cleaning staff did not do an extensive clense of the room we stayed in. I found a bra, behind a chair, which I can only assume belonged to the previous guest...or the guest previous to that guest... The chair was not up against a wall and not difficult to move.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Greg M, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Halifax Harbourview, responded to this review, 23 April 2013
I would like to apologize on behalf of the Holiday Inn Harbourview and its’ team for your stay. Although we are always disappointed to hear that someone’s stay was not to their satisfaction, we appreciate knowing what issues you experienced so we can take appropriate steps to correct them. The guest service and level of cleaning were clearly not in keeping with the high standards we strive to maintain and exceed. We are committed to your satisfaction, and we thank you for giving us the opportunity to make it right.

We do hope we will be given the opportunity to serve you once again and to show you we can do better. We also hope your confidence in the Holiday Inn Harbourview will be restored.

Travellers are raving about these Dartmouth hotels

Newmarket, On
Reviewed 3 March 2013

Rooms are clean and adequate. As in a previous stay, I find the dining room menu lacking choice, and the staff that remain from years ago have little to no personality. $14 bucks for a glass of Merlot is also pricey for Dartmouth.

Room Tip: Get a Harbour view room on upper floors, great balcony and view.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Chris D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Halifax Harbourview, responded to this review, 19 March 2013
I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us, I am happy to see that you find our guest rooms clean and adequate.

However I am disappointed that you feel our Cafe 101 menu is lacking choice, we have done several changes in our restaurant over the last year and a large part of those changes have been menu driven in order to attract more business. We have reduced prices and made dishes that appeal to our guests according to feedback received. Please feel free to email me directly if you would like us to consider any of your favourite foods for our menu.

We look forward to having you back in the near future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dartmouth
Hampton Inn by Hilton Halifax Downtown
Cambridge Suites - Halifax
Homewood Suites by Hilton Halifax-Downtown, Nova Scotia, Canada

Been to Holiday Inn Halifax Harbourview? Share your experiences!