“Not the normal wake-up call”

Holiday Inn Halifax Harbourview
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Dartmouth
Lake Wales, Florida, United States
“Not the normal wake-up call”
Reviewed 11 June 2013

The sound of someone in the next room taking a whiz is not the wake-up call you normally want. The walls of this place are fairly thin. Conversations in the hall, and the opening and closing of doors, are clearly audible. Other than that it is a Holiday Inn Express. Rooms are clean and comfortable, pillows and towels are fluffy and there is a great buffet breakfast.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Greg M, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Halifax Harbourview, responded to this review, 24 June 2013
I am so sorry to hear about your unsatisfactory experience while staying with us. We are always looking forward to our guest’s feedback - both positive and constructive; we are proud to be a staple in our community for over 40 years and it is because of great feedback like yours that allows us to continue to address the needs and concerns of our guests. Thank you as well for your great comments regarding our rooms and restaurant; Café 101! We hope the next time your in the Halifax/Dartmouth area you will come back and stay with us at the Holiday Inn Harbourview again!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Fredericton, Canada
Reviewed 10 June 2013

I was at this hotel for a week with my dog and it was the best hotel i have been at with my pet.
They have ground floor pet rooms that open to a grassy courtyard. The staff are fantastic!
And there is an off leash dog park (Dartmouth Commons) just across the street.
Also to respect all guest the pet rooms are only on the ground floor so be sure to ask when you book to reserve a pet friendly room.

Room Tip: If you have a pet the ground floor is perfect; if travelling without pets the upper balcony rooms ha...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Greg M, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Halifax Harbourview, responded to this review, 18 June 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience with us! We always enjoy having our four-legged friends join us in our pet friendly rooms! We would love to have you come stay with us again!

Canada
Reviewed 29 May 2013

We enjoyed staying here. It was certainly a lot cheaper than other similar hotels due to a Hotwire rate, and so we felt we got what we paid for - a decent hotel room, nice view of the harbour, close to downtown (you will have to pay tolls to cross the bridge each time though), and free wifi. No breakfast inc'd and the pool was outdoors, so useless during the time we were there. It was clean and comfortable though, and in comparison, worth the price we paid.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Greg M, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Halifax Harbourview, responded to this review, 2 June 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience with us! We provide an excellent location for guests looking to be close to downtown Halifax, and still have ease of access to the major shopping sectors Halifax and Dartmouth have to provide! Our heated outdoor pool is open for the season and provides a great way to relax during those hot summer days! If you prefer an indoor alternative, we do provide our guests with complimentary passes to the Dartmouth Sportsplex just across the street where they have a large indoor pool, waterslides, and a complete fitness centre at your disposal!

I invite you to come stay with us again this summer to experience all we have to offer! We would love to see you again!
Moncton, Canada
Reviewed 21 May 2013

The front desk staff was very helpful and automatically asked us if we wanted a king bed rather than the 2 doubles we had booked with air miles. The beds were soft and comfortable with choices of pillows and the furniture was updated. The bathrooms, however, were not completely updated. Old tile, tub, toilet and sink but the actual fixtures like the tap and showerhead had been updated. The shower curtain was also updated to the newer curved design. I felt the older tile and other porcelain was very much just aesthetics. It was very functional and I didn't feel I was lacking anything. If I was a large person I probably would have missed some elbow room though. The location was very convenient to downtown Halifax with the bridge right next door. It was also very close to the ferry terminal.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your experience in our hotel with your fellow travellers! We always strive to make our guests stays with us as comfortable as possible, and I am happy to see we were able to provide you with an upgraded room for your stay.

I hope we get to see you again soon.
Conception Bay South, Canada
Reviewed 17 May 2013

Don't let the title fool you. I most certainly enjoyed our stay at the Holiday Inn Harbourview but it could do with an infusion of cash especially in the bathrooms. We stayed on the Executive floor for 4 nights and even though the room was large and inviting, the bathroom certainly let it down. It is old and is in desperate need of updating. The bed was large and comfortable. Actually, I think it's been the nicest bed I have ever slept in.
The restaurant and front desk staff were helpful and friendly. However, I don't think the $15.00 for the breakfast buffet is worth the money. It could do with some more choices.

Great location next to the MacDonald Bridge and close to shopping. I highly recommended staying here. Ask for Harbour View :)

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
It's always great reading about a great experience from one of our guests. Our beds truely are very comfortable, and we have had the majority of our hotel rooms updated with new mattresses within the past year!

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. We hope to have you stay with us again soon!
Nova Scotia
Reviewed 16 May 2013

I recently stayed at the Holiday Inn in Dartmouth while in town for meetings and found it to be very friendly and comfortable. The front desk staff were very accommodating regarding my room requests and subsequent room changes. After reading tripadvisor reviews I requested a room with a harbor view so they switched my room but the room was only a couple feet from the elevator so I asked to change rooms. The front desk clerk was very dedicated to finding the room that best suited me and I appreciated her helpfulness. I ended up on the top floor with a view from the side of the hotel which overlooked the bridge was great for me. The room and floor looked like it had been updated and beds were great - nice white duvet and pillows marked according to softness. The bathroom was dated but impeccably clean. Like other reviewers noted the bathroom is small with the sink and mirror outside the room. Having no mirror in the toilet/tub bathroom was a bit inconvenient but not a big problem. There is also a little open closet across from the sink. The TV was also new. The initial room I had was one floor lower and the bathroom was more worn looking.
The restaurant was the highlight of the hotel for me as one of the waitresses I had on three different occasions remembered me, provided additional information about menu items, made great suggestions and generally could not do enough to help. I wish I had her name but she did say she had just completed a program in hospitality after working in the industry for about 20 years. I very much enjoyed a chicken, asparagus dish with feta cheese - a very unique combination of flavor. I had a voucher for breakfast and chose to order the homemade hot oatmeal which came with a few berries on top and the brown sugar and crème on the side, coffee, juice and a bagel which was more than ample. Again the wait staff at breakfast were incredibly helpful and efficient. As well the room service was very good and you were able to order food as take out and pick up yourself and bring back to the room. Room service ended at 10 p.m. I highly recommend the grilled cheese with chicken. The cons of the hotel would be the immediate area, at times the traffic was heavy and it was tricky getting into the front of the hotel, the bathrooms are on the small side and the elevator is slow. The pros are the comfy beds, close proximity to the bridge if you need to get to Halifax and not far from Dartmouth Crossing/Micmac (10- 15 min drive), the friendly staff and having an in-house restaurant with good food choices. For people new to the area, the Dartmouth Sportsplex is directly across the street as well as a strip mall with subway, Shoppers Drug Mart, Dollar Store and a MacDonalds and Tim Hortons just up the street. The hotel has a large parking lot with ample parking and it is easy to find a spot.

Room Tip: The top floor is a bit better than other floors with some minor updates.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
We are very happy you enjoyed your time with us, and that we were able to make your stay so memorable. Cafe 101 is one of our hidden gems where our Executive Chef Erwin Palo creates menu items that helped him become the Atlantic Candaian Chef of the year in 2012!

Thank you for taking this opportunity to share your experience with us. We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Paget Parish, Bermuda
Reviewed 8 May 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Holiday Inn Halifax Harbourview hotel for four nights. The hotel entrance (entry) was being worked on but inside the lobby was very nice and clean and the front desk staff were very welcoming. Our room was a good size and included a king size bed, two nightstands, desk, chair, ottoman, small fridge and flat screen tv. The room including bath were immaculate. The cleaning lady was very friendly and stocked the room daily with clean towels. The business center looked new and consisted of two computers and two printers. The gym was also of good quality. The parking lot is very large and the spaces closer to the hotel fill up quite quickly in the early evening. We had the buffet breakfast for two mornings (basic, but nice) but found it a little pricey at $15 a head + tax. We felt very comfortable staying at the Holiday Inn and slept very well as the bed and pillows were exceptional. All was good and we would definitely stay at this hotel again!

Room Tip: We stayed on the 7th floor overlooking the toll booth of Mac Donald Bridge. The room was quiet and w...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking this opportunity to share your experience with us with other travellers. As you indicated, we have made some upgrades to our guest rooms including 32" LCD TV's and complimentary wireless internet in all our rooms with the options to upgrade your internet speed.

We look forward to having you stay with us again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dartmouth
Downtown Halifax
Hampton Inn by Hilton Halifax Downtown
Downtown Halifax
Prince George Hotel
Prince George Hotel
#3 of 28 in Halifax

Been to Holiday Inn Halifax Harbourview? Share your experiences!