“Good alternative hotel in Halifax”

Holiday Inn Halifax Harbourview
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Dartmouth
Toronto
“Good alternative hotel in Halifax”
Reviewed 10 August 2009

We stayed at this hotel for two nights and while they are beside a bridge, it happened to be the one closed for roadwork the weekend we were there. Ideally when in Halifax staying at a hotel on the 'otherside' is prefered as you pay $.75 each time you cross the bridge.
The hotel was very busy with a couple of weddings going on and we kind of cringed when we got off the elevator as we walked by a room party. In the end we didn't hear the noise and were rather surprised. The rooms are clean and we love that they did away with those nastym ugly germy bed spreads. The rooms are a little on the small size but clean.
We had breakfast the first morning we were there and the staff was very friendly. One bonus thing was kids ate free! The pool is outside but was heated. Over all this hotel is good for families travelling with young children.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 30 July 2009

We are currently staying at the Holiday Inn Halifax Harbourview and thankfully just for one night. We chose this for our last night In Nova Scotia, well in advance because it was close to the airport and because of the "Harbourview" room with a balcony. The good thing is that it is at least close to the airport. The hotel is really old and the room we are in is not very nice. I just checked the rate for the room today and with CAA rate we are paying $20 more than the current rates. This is more than we paid to stay in a beautiful harbourfront hotel on the beautiful Halifax harbour. It is a true ripoff. We do have a king bed, which is clean and comfortable. The room is very small and the bathroom is terrible. The sink area is across the hall from the bathtub/toilet area and so small that you can barely fit a toothbrush on the counter. The bath tub/;toilet room is equally small. The fan in the bathroom doesn't work and the toilet does not flush properly. You have to wiggle the handle to stop it from running. From our balcony, which overlooks the roof of the building next door with a number of unslightly leaking air conditioners, we can see the harbour in the distance. The air conditioner is noisy and does not work well.
Talk about "buyer beware". I can't imagine that this hotel is a bargain at any price but for what we paid it is a true ripoff.
We should have asked to have our room changed but didn't want the hassle on the last night of a beautiful vacation. We should have stayed somewhere else on our last night of this otherwise beautiful holiday.

Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Spriglet

Travellers are raving about these Dartmouth hotels

ottawa
Reviewed 13 July 2009

My family and I stayed at the Holiday Inn in Dartmouth for five days earlier this month. We found the hotel to be very conveniently located as it is right next to the bridge to Halifax and a short walk from the ferry dock into Halifax for those without cars.

The staff were very helpful throughout our stay and provided us with an upgraded room to recognize my platinum status with the Intercontinental chain's reward program.

We found the hotel to be clean and well cared for and enjoyed our stay there.

My only critique would be the slow service in the hotel resturant for breakfast.

I would recommend this hotel for anyone going to Halifax.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
HotelGSM, Guest Service Manager at Holiday Inn Halifax Harbourview, responded to this review, 17 July 2009
Thank you for your constructive comments, we were pleased to see that you enjoyed your time in Halifax, and that you received your deserved recognition at the hotel for your Platinum Mmber status.

I have passed your comments, regarding breakfast, to our restaurant manager so that he can refocus his staff on the efficiency required each morning.

Once again thank you for your comments, and we look forward to welcoming you back to Halifax soon!
dartmouth
Reviewed 18 March 2009

If you can keep your kid's on a leash and would like to have your vehicle broken into this is the place for you. In one night 7 vehicles were broken into in the poorly lit parking lot. this while their so called security roamed the halls scaring children back to there rooms. while some of the front desk staff were pleasant, there are some that need a lesson in manners. I WILL NEVER STAY HERE AGAIN!!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank vacationruined2
HotelGSM, Guest Service Manager at Holiday Inn Halifax Harbourview, responded to this review, 20 March 2009
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments, it is always good to receive feedback especially when a guests stay has been disappointing, as we can always learn and grow from such experiences.

This spring break week was a particular challenge, with 4 peewee hockey teams staying, for a local tournament, as well as the regular business and leisure guests. We tried to keep all the teams in the same area, and trusted that the guardians of the children would assume responsibility for their behaviour, unfortunately we were naive in this assumption.

There have been a number of vehicle break ins throughout the downtown Dartmouth core recently, which is the reason the police have put up notices throughout the hotel warning guests not to leave valuables on show. Unfortunately these warnings were not heeded by each of the 4 cars that were broken into. For which the thief has now been apprehended.

Once again please accept our apologies for your disappointment, your experiences are by no means the norm within our hotel, and we have learnt a few valuable lessons for next spring break,
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 23 January 2009

I went to Dartmouth for a funeral. I chose this hotel for its proximity to the church and funeral parlour. The service was excellent from the lady handling the reservation to the bar staff to the staff at breakfast to the maids. My room was spotless. Lots of lights. Comfortable bed.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Colchester2
HotelGSM, Guest Services Manager at Holiday Inn Halifax Harbourview, responded to this review, 5 February 2009
Many thanks for taking the time to post your kind comments. As a hotel, that is constantly striving to improve, we appreciate any feedback positive or negative.

We are pleased to have been able to make your visit to our city a little easier, at such a difficult time. We hope that you will be able to return before long, and once again enjoy our East Coast hospitality.
Vancouver BC
Reviewed 30 December 2008

this review is awfully late, as I only JUST realized I hadn't put it in when I returned!

Stayed at the Harbourview for 3 weeks in June 2008 as part of a business trip - was supposed to stay for four, but we finished early - yay!

Staff at this hotel were SO wonderful, it would have made up for any little problems if there had been any within their control!

The night I arrived, I wound up the ER, after picking up a Noro virus in Montreal. Staff called a cab (I wouldn't take an ambulance), took the note I left for my coworker, and put a "silent message" on his phone so as to not wake him up.

When I came back the next day, they were very solicitous about my health, which was surprising...most hotels really don't care. They put my room on "do not disturb" but assured me that if at ANY time I needed anything from housekeeping, I should call down.

When I finally felt up to some broth, toast and weak tea from room service a couple of times, they brought it up promptly and didn't even charge me for it, claiming it wasn't "real food" *lol*.

Once I recovered, they were still incredibly helpful. When a really horrific fire and accident in the area caused a major power outage, one of the porters went up to my room (I can't manage stairs, being slightly disabled), got my very expensive and very sensitive medicine out of my room fridge, and put it in the generator-backed fridge in the kitchen. This was AFTER schlepping guests luggage up the stairs too.

They were also incredibly helpful when my coworker and I needed restaurant recommendations, ideas for weekend destinations, maps, directions - you name it!

The restaurant was quite good, and one bite of the lemon creme brulee with blueberries explained why their chef won awards.

All in all, I had an excellent stay at the Harbourview, and was treated extremely well by all the staff!

Three weeks there, and no complaints from me at all!

• Liked — amazing staff
  • Disliked — not a lot within walking distance, but we had a car!
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Nikkal
halifax
Reviewed 28 December 2008

The Front Desk went above and beyond. We were tired and frustrated due to other circumstances ( Long flight, Misplaced luggage, lost keys, 2 year old, etc) All we needed was directions to a payphone. The front desk gave us their own phone, a phone book, talked with our toddler and called a taxi and we were not even staying at the hotel.
We stayed at the hotel for a night in 2005 and had a positive experience. I would certainly recommend the hotel based on today's customer service experience alone

• Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dartmouth
Downtown Halifax
Hampton Inn by Hilton Halifax Downtown
Downtown Halifax
Prince George Hotel
Prince George Hotel
#3 of 28 in Halifax

Been to Holiday Inn Halifax Harbourview? Share your experiences!