“Great Room, Great Location!!”

Doubletree by Hilton Halifax Dartmouth
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Dartmouth
Reviewed 10 May 2010

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Harbourview on a Saturday night after booking it on Priceline.com for $67.00 (+tax & fees)!! Our Hotel room was CLEAN with comfortable beds, and a nice view of the MacDonald bridge and harbour. The staff were very friendly and helpful - GREAT service!

This hotel has a great location!! It's located directly beside the MacDonald bridge, a 5 min drive to downtown Halifax (lots of shopping and historical attractions). It's about 10 minutes from Mic Mac Mall, and Dartmouth crossing (lots of shopping, restaurants, movie theatre), and it's about 20 mins from the airport. The hotel charges 9.95 (+ tax) for parking which I did not mind given the location and the ease of navigating Dartmouth. In fact, many of the downtown hotels charge around $20.00. The hotel does not offer a complimentary breakfast (as the Holiday Inn Express outlets do), but there are numerous restaurants within walking distance as well as a gas station, and pharmacy directly across the street. Although it does not have an indoor pool, there is a play park right next door. Great for young children!!

Although our stay was brief, we had a great time and would definitely stay here again!!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family

Reviewed 1 April 2010

I can only comment on the food, as I'm a local and have not stayed in the hotel.

... I know, you're saying, at a Holiday Inn, c'mon. But I'm serious!!! The food here is incredibly delicious; the best meal I've had dining out in 2 years in Halifax. They apparently have a great new young chef, and the recruitment has paid dividends. My only hope is that they can draw in enough locals to keep the restaurant busy enough to justify such a creative menu. My other hope is that they change it seasonally to take advantage of all the great local foods available; the vegetables with my dinner and in my salad tasted very farm-fresh, so it wouldn't surprise me if they're buying locally.

Stayed: March 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 October 2009

I stayed at this hotel on a leisure trip with my wife. This is an adequate but unimpressive Holiday Inn. It's below the Holiday Inn average, but still acceptable for my purposes.

The common areas are well kept, but the rooms themselves are relatively small. The bathrooms are not well designed at all, with the toilet and bathtub in a room a distance away from the sinks.

The location is okay - close to downtown Halifax and convenient to the airport (although the airport itself is 30 km from town, so the convenience factor is minor). There isn't a whole lot around the hotel itself other than some strip malls.

Paying $10 a night for parking in a suburban area is a bit of an insult, though. You can park on a nearby side street for free.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled solo
HotelGSM, Guest Services Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Halifax Dartmouth, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2010

Thank you for your constructive comments Patrol_Man Pete, I firmly believe that without honest & open feedback we cannot grow as a business.

I was pleased to read that we met your needs, and you were comfortable at the hotel, however, I am delighted to inform you that we are now undergoing a full transformation as a hotel & relaunching our brand.

We are changing all of our beddings standards, our bathroom amenities, & public area standards to name just a few of the major changes. So next visit you will notice a great difference.

Once again, thank you for your constuctive comments and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 12 August 2009

My husband and I, along with my sister and brother in law, spent two nights at this hotel. We each had a standard room which was adequate size wise, and also clean. And the rooms did have free wi-fi. However, this turned out to be the most expensive hotel room of our entire week in Canada and it definitely was not worth it. We did not eat dinner in the hotel but did have the breakfast the first morning we were there. I would have thought that the continental breakfast would have been considerably cheaper than the full breakfast but it was not. In fact, I think it should have been included with the room. We have stayed at Holiday Inns before where it was. Also, I thought it was a really cheap shot to make us pay for parking there. We never had to pay to park the car at any other hotel during our trip. The bed was comfortable enough and the room quiet enough but we would not stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 August 2009

We stayed at this hotel for two nights and while they are beside a bridge, it happened to be the one closed for roadwork the weekend we were there. Ideally when in Halifax staying at a hotel on the 'otherside' is prefered as you pay $.75 each time you cross the bridge.
The hotel was very busy with a couple of weddings going on and we kind of cringed when we got off the elevator as we walked by a room party. In the end we didn't hear the noise and were rather surprised. The rooms are clean and we love that they did away with those nastym ugly germy bed spreads. The rooms are a little on the small size but clean.
We had breakfast the first morning we were there and the staff was very friendly. One bonus thing was kids ate free! The pool is outside but was heated. Over all this hotel is good for families travelling with young children.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 July 2009

We are currently staying at the Holiday Inn Halifax Harbourview and thankfully just for one night. We chose this for our last night In Nova Scotia, well in advance because it was close to the airport and because of the "Harbourview" room with a balcony. The good thing is that it is at least close to the airport. The hotel is really old and the room we are in is not very nice. I just checked the rate for the room today and with CAA rate we are paying $20 more than the current rates. This is more than we paid to stay in a beautiful harbourfront hotel on the beautiful Halifax harbour. It is a true ripoff. We do have a king bed, which is clean and comfortable. The room is very small and the bathroom is terrible. The sink area is across the hall from the bathtub/toilet area and so small that you can barely fit a toothbrush on the counter. The bath tub/;toilet room is equally small. The fan in the bathroom doesn't work and the toilet does not flush properly. You have to wiggle the handle to stop it from running. From our balcony, which overlooks the roof of the building next door with a number of unslightly leaking air conditioners, we can see the harbour in the distance. The air conditioner is noisy and does not work well.
Talk about "buyer beware". I can't imagine that this hotel is a bargain at any price but for what we paid it is a true ripoff.
We should have asked to have our room changed but didn't want the hassle on the last night of a beautiful vacation. We should have stayed somewhere else on our last night of this otherwise beautiful holiday.

Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Spriglet
Reviewed 13 July 2009

My family and I stayed at the Holiday Inn in Dartmouth for five days earlier this month. We found the hotel to be very conveniently located as it is right next to the bridge to Halifax and a short walk from the ferry dock into Halifax for those without cars.

The staff were very helpful throughout our stay and provided us with an upgraded room to recognize my platinum status with the Intercontinental chain's reward program.

We found the hotel to be clean and well cared for and enjoyed our stay there.

My only critique would be the slow service in the hotel resturant for breakfast.

I would recommend this hotel for anyone going to Halifax.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
HotelGSM, Guest Service Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Halifax Dartmouth, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2009

Thank you for your constructive comments, we were pleased to see that you enjoyed your time in Halifax, and that you received your deserved recognition at the hotel for your Platinum Mmber status.

I have passed your comments, regarding breakfast, to our restaurant manager so that he can refocus his staff on the efficiency required each morning.

Once again thank you for your comments, and we look forward to welcoming you back to Halifax soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dartmouth
Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton Halifax - Dartmouth
Delta Hotels by Marriott Dartmouth
Best Western Plus Dartmouth Hotel & Suites
Travelodge Suites Halifax Dartmouth
The Hollis Halifax - a DoubleTree Suites by Hilton
Comfort Inn - Dartmouth
Comfort Inn - Dartmouth
#7 of 11 in Dartmouth

Been to Doubletree by Hilton Halifax Dartmouth? Share your experiences!