“Disappointing”

Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Dartmouth
Burton
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 6 December 2013

I found this establishment to be very old and tired. The hotel lobby was not inviting and the entire hotel has seen better days. All the furniture in our room was beat up and I found the beds to be very uncomfortable. I appreciate having a good shower after long trip but couldn't enjoy it as the tub drain was plugged solid. The only two good points that I can say are the staff were exceptionally helpful and friendly. The other good point was that I did not have to pay to stay here as I used my Choice Priv. Points. Glad that I did not pay the $120 that this room would have cost. When I am in Halifax again I will be looking elsewhere.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Michael Stephen J
Marsha G, General Manager at Hearthstone Inn Halifax/Dartmouth, responded to this review, 10 December 2013

Marsha Graham
Operations Manager
Quality Inn Dartmouth
(902) 469 5850

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Hotel was an average value. I booked for two nights at this location for a business trip. Because I was travelling light (carry on and laptop) there was very little things in the room. This somehow warranted the staff to "think" I had left and give my room to another person. When I returned to my room there was someone else asleep in the bed. Very creepy. Besides this mess up from the staff the hotel was a decent value for the price and the breakfast buffet was light but overall ok for the price.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Elissa392
Marsha G, Manager at Hearthstone Inn Halifax/Dartmouth, responded to this review, 29 August 2013
Hello,

I wish to thank you for taking a moment to post a review on your recent stay with us at Quality Inn Micmac .

I wish to also apologize to you for the misunderstanding by my staff in assuming you had checked out even though you had a booking for a two nights stay. When they entered your room to clean it they found it completely empty of all your effects so instead of keeping it as a stay and a charge for another room night being applied we assumed, as it now stands, wrongly, that you had simply checked out and would not be back for the second night stay.

Please accept my sincere apologies on behalf of myself and my staff. Should you be back
in the city again, I hope you will consider staying with us so we can exceed your expectations and provide you with a wonderful stay.

Thank you again.

Montreal
Reviewed 27 August 2013

The hotel has nothing flashy but it does the job at a great price. Manager and staff are awesome.
Conveniently located next to Atlantic SuperStore, a short walk to the canoe club and a short drive from the beaches. Also plenty of restaurants around.

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to right a review of your recent stay here with us. Very pleased you found all our staff awesome, I think they are also. I shall pass along your word to them as it is always nice to receive such positive words.

I hope you make it back down to visit with us again.

Montreal
Reviewed 27 August 2013

• Stayed August 2013
Marsha G, General Manager at Hearthstone Inn Halifax/Dartmouth, responded to this review, 29 August 2013
Hello Canadasurf!!

I hope you make it back down to visit with us again.

Reviewed 18 July 2013 via mobile

As mentioned previously, it is a bit tricky to find the hotel. Parking was not an issue as we were told that the hotel was not full. We noticed a stale smoke smell in the hallways and in the room, even though we had a non smoking room. We found the beds to be the most comfortable and the sheets and pillows to be the best quality after nearly 2 weeks on the road. We were on the second floor, facing the back. The room was quiet but the wifi was very poor. It kept disconnecting while using it. The breakfast was good, with plenty of seating. The location of the hotel was very convenient to the highway and to the metro bus. We chose this hotel so we could easily take the bus and then the ferry across to Halifax.

Stayed July 2013
Marsha G, Manager at Hearthstone Inn Halifax/Dartmouth, responded to this review, 22 July 2013
Dear B R,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review on your stay with us. Feedback from our guests is very important to us and your input helps with our continuing efforts to provide excellent service and a great stay.

We have been a non-smoking property for a few years now and are still making efforts to curb smoking in rooms. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

If you are ever up our way again, it would be a pleasure to have you stay with us again.

Pictou, Canada
Reviewed 15 July 2013

My husband and I have stayed at this hotel about a dozen times. It has a loyalty program that gives you a free stay after you have paid for seven stays. It is near a Superstore with a small liquor store inside. It is near Lake Banook with its beautiful walking trail. It takes about half an hour to walk downtown and it is only a few mintes drive to the Micmac Mall or Dartmouth Crossing for shopping trips. It is surprisingly quiet for sleeping for its proximity to busy streets. It has a small bar that also serves a limited menu. The morning breakfast is better if you are there the first hour; but the Satff will accomodate your request for items that run out- ex. coffee, yogurt. The Staff are friendly and seem to appreciate your business.

Room Tip: We have stayed on both sides of the hotel; we have no preference.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Marsha G, Manager at Hearthstone Inn Halifax/Dartmouth, responded to this review, 17 July 2013
Dear CarolMacKay60,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay with such positive feedback! I have shared your comments with my staff, and they join me in thanking you for your kind words. We take pride in our hotel and the services we provide and we are so glad you enjoyed your stay.
Our bed are get lots of great comments to their comfort so am happy to hear you rest well also.

Thank you again CarolMacKay60, we shall keep an even closer eye on our breakfast to make sure it is fresh and plentiful the whole time.

Everett, Washington
Reviewed 11 July 2013

The cheerful, helpful staff made us feel welcome. The rooms are well equipped and clean, the breakfast complete and tasty, and the location is away from the main road so quiet.

Near the hotel is a pretty lake with a path around it. A supermarket is a few minute walk away.

Like so many things in Halifax and Dartmouth, it isn't easy to get to. Expect lots of driving on city streets before getting to any destination in either city.

We highly recommend this hotel, so here are some tips to help you find it:

South of the hotel Albert Road is a major street. However, quite near the hotel Albert Road becomes a neighborhood street and the major thoroughfare changes names. We missed that sleight of hand and continued driving. Oops! The change is near a large supermarket.

The large QUALITY INN sign is not close to the hotel. We saw that sign and began looking around for the hotel but never saw it because it already was behind us.

The hotel is not actually on Albert Street but rather on a short spur departing from Albert Street, away from the lake.

Some signage says Hearthstone. That confused us until we were told it is the owner of the franchise.

The parking lot is small so come early.

Because we liked being at this hotel, a few days after leaving we learned we must return to the Halifax area so booked this hotel again.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms may have an angle view of the pretty lake.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Marsha G, General Manager at Hearthstone Inn Halifax/Dartmouth, responded to this review, 12 July 2013
Dear 828TJA,

Our property is off the main street of Prince Albert Road and unless you look closely, as you mentioned, and do not blink, you are by us. Signage does need updated and I thank you for pointing out what sometimes is overlooked when you see it each day.

I am happy you discovered Lake Banook, it is a World Class Kayak and Rowing Lake here in Dartmouth and very active in all seasons.

Thank you again for staying with us and if you are ever up our way again, it would be a pleasure to have you stay with us again.

Marsha
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dartmouth
Travelodge Suites Halifax Dartmouth
Coastal Inn Dartmouth
Coastal Inn Dartmouth
#9 of 10 in Dartmouth
Comfort Hotel Bayer's Lake

Been to Hearthstone Inn Halifax/Dartmouth? Share your experiences!