“Good value”

Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Dartmouth
Moncton, Canada
“Good value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

We recently stayed here on our trip to Halifax; as it was a long weekend, we were very limited on the hotels that were available, but this was a great value & location. It is only about a 5minute (probably even less) drive from Dartmouth Crossing and another 2-3minutes to get to Mic Mac Mall.
As the other reviews state, the hotel is a bit dated, but the rooms are nice and big and the beds are extremely comfortable, which, in my view, is why we stay in the hotel in the first place, to sleep...
Another great thing is that this hotel has a breakfast buffet, which was included with our stay. It was a typical breakfast buffet; eggs, bacon, sausage, French toast, oatmeal, cereal, etc. The food was good, and it's always nice to be able to get a breakfast included before you head out for the day.
The staff was friendly enough, there was one particular staff member at the check-in desk that went above and beyond. As native French speakers, my husband and I are used to having mostly English service in cities that are mainly English (which isn't a problem, as I am perfectly bilingual), but this particular staff member started speaking to us in French when he heard us converse amongst ourselves, which was really great. He was making an effort to talk to us in our native tongue, which is something that has not happened to us very often, and usually it is because the person is French themselves. So a great big kudos to this man (whom I tried to remember his name, but for the life of me can't) and the hotel for this.
I would definitely recommend this place if you are looking for something that is close to the shopping hubs, without being In the city. You get great value and a comfortable stay.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Ramadans, General Manager at Ramada Plaza Dartmouth Park Place, responded to this review, 17 September 2014
Jessie thank you for your kind review! Thank you for recognizing our exceptional value equation ... Great full hot buffet breakfast...Free parking... Free wifi... The things that matter the most to the travelling public at large! I am glad you found our location convient for shopping...Our proximity to Dartmouth Crossing, Mic Mac Mall, The Shops of Downtown Halifax and Bayers Lake make us the perfect location for your next shopping expedition! We receive lots of positive feedback regarding our Simmons deluxe pillow top beds.

We work really hard at recruiting French speaking canidates... I am so pleased that we were able to extend guest service en francais! We have a long standing relationship with the Acadian community and have bilingual team members in most departments.

I hope you are able to return to our property soon... If I can ever be of service, please do not hesitate to contact me directly offline.

Warm regards,

Vice President and General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Moncton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

Spent four nights in the Ramada Plaza Dartmouth. It is an older building, built in the early 1990's according to the building's cornerstone, but it was clean and appeared to be well maintained in spite of being a little worn around the edges. Though the general neighbourhood appears to be light-industrial in nature, the hotel is situated in a convenient location, it is easy to find, and there are lots of shops and restaurants nearby, including Dartmouth Crossing.

Sound seemed to travel a little more than usual on our first night there, perhaps from the abundance of hard surfaces, but probably more a case of noisy neighbours than a fault of the hotel. Loud-talking guests ambling down the hall around midnight, boisterous goodnights about a half-hour later. From the bed as I was trying to sleep, I could clearly hear both ends of a conversation the man in the adjoining room was having with his wife on speakerphone (seriously, on speakerphone at 1:00am!). That was all on the first night, the following three were relatively quiet.

Breakfast was included with our stay; a well-stocked buffet type with hot items like scrambled eggs, oatmeal and bacon in addition to the usual cold fare. French toast and pancakes were also available on alternate days (i.e. pancakes on Wednesday and French toast on Thursday). And though the bread selection generally offered little variety, there were a few mornings when delicious pastries magically appeared among the fare. Kudos to the pastry chef, very tasty! There was a good selection of fruit, though I believe the pears were from cans as they lacked flavor, and I didn't see any yogurt anywhere. All in all, a good breakfast offering and the staff were quite friendly, in spite of their being stranded there in the midst of a snowstorm. Servers for breakfast were the same that served dinned the previous evening.

The exercise room is reasonably well-equipped but the machinery appears a little dated: some weights along with three treadmills and a "Stairmaster" type, but no elliptical. The pool has a water slide and a shallow area for kids but is not long enough for laps. Entrance to the pool area is next to the exercise room on the lower level, and some of the windows from the main-level dining room overlook the pool area which is a nice feature for families (i.e. Mom can relax with a cup of coffee and not miss a thing while dad and the kids are in the pool).

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank MctnF00die
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Park Place Hotel & Conference with the travelling public at large. I am very pleased that you found our property to be clean, well maintained and conviently located. Please know we appreciate your patronage and hope that you have an opportunity to return soon.

If I can ever be of assistance, please to not hesitate to contact me directly offline.

Warm regards,

Vice President & General Manager
Truro, Nova Scotia, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

We stayed there May 9 for one night and booked through Hotwire. I was quite pleased with the size and cleanliness of the room. The bed was amazing and we both had a solid night sleep. Some of the furnishing were a little dated and/or showing wear. This was not unexpected and really had no effect on our stay. The front desk and housekeeping staff were very friendly. We ate at the Peppermill for dinner. The food and value was much better than I expected and enjoyed our meals very much. Our waitress at first seemed annoyed that we were there (the restaurant was empty when we arrived) but her mood turned and was pleasant. The morning hot buffet breakfast is a rarity and very good. The staff on during the morning was great!!

Overall, very pleased with the hotel. It seems to be very popular with families and will return with ours. The pool area is a little busy for two adults to enjoy but fantastic if traveling with kids.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Ramadans, General Manager at Ramada Plaza Dartmouth Park Place, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Cory thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the Trip Advisor community. I enjoyed reading your many kind comments and hope you have the opportunity to return to our hotel soon... Please know that we appreciate your patronage and hope to be your hotel of choice when travelling to Greater Halifax on business or pleasure.

If I can ever be of assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Pierre Roy VP&GM
Sydney, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

I have stayed at this location several times. However, it has been at least 10 years since my last stay. I stayed with my husband and two children. The location is excellent. You are near shopping, highway, downtown Dartmouth, restaurants, etc. There is ample parking. We only ate at the restaurant for breakfast as we were out of the hotel the rest of the time. The breakfast buffet is just ok. However, since it was free with our room, you get what you pay for. It was passable, but don't expect gourmet. The rooms are clean & the housekeeping staff are diligent. The beds are very comfy and the room was not cold, but not too warm either (I sound like Goldilocks). The pool was fun for my children, but it is a "play" pool (waterslide) not for those looking to do laps. The front end staff were professional, friendly & efficient. The staff in the dinning room at Breakfast were not well organized at all. I also found that if a request or inquiry was made, they looked at you as if you just asked them for a pound of gold to be produced on the spot. I think the dinning room may need a little polish.

The décor is dated. It reflects the late 80's early 90's. But, if you can get passed that, it is a great spot.

Room Tip: Do not stay on the 1st floor, too noisy.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to share your experience at Park Place Ramada Plaza with the travelling public at large. I appreciate your comments regarding our excellent location, proximity to shopping / restaurants / attractions, parking and clean guestrooms. Our 108 foot waterslide has been a source of entertainment for the " Young and Young at Heart " since we opened our doors in 1990!

I have sent a copy of your review to our Food & Beverage Manager for his reference and action. I am sorry that we failed to meet and exceed your expetations as related to our breakfast service.

Please know that we appreciate your patronage and hope that you have an opportunity to return to our hotel soon. If I can ever be of service, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Kind regards.

Pierre Roy, VP & GM
Halifax, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

Just wanted to send a huge Thank You
to you Doug, Brenda and your staff for a job well
done for our Celebration on Sunday!!
We were very pleased and impressed with the meeting rooms, set-up, cleanliness, food and the efficiency and professionalism of the staff. To that end, we have booked the venue for our event next year!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
We are very fortunate to have such a professional and caring Catering and Conference team at Park Place Ramada Plaza Hotel. I always appreciate receiving reviews that highlight a great set up, cleanliness, food and staff... I am very pleased that your celebration event was a tremendous success and that you have already rebooked for 2015!

Thank you for your patronage. If I can ever be of assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Pierre Roy, VP&GM
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

Thank you to housekeeping staff.
I lost a pendant (not expensive, but have sentimental value).
Asked housekeeping staff to find. Without hesitation, she proceeded to find by pulling sheets, moved heavy bed, etc.....but to no avail.
But, I left a note anyway when I went out for my business.
To my pleasant surprise, the housekeeping staff found the pendant and left it on the side table with a note attached to it. When I got back that afternoon, it was waiting for me. I happened to finish my work early and I got to my room in late afternoon. I was going to get a canned drink from the vending machine when I saw the housekeeping in the next room and I decided to go and talk to her.
Before I could say anything, she said, "was it the missing pendant ?"
I said Yes.....I thanked her and gave her a small tip. She said not necessary, but I insisted saying it was a token of appreciation.
Nice and pleasant experience. Thanks again.

Room Tip: Clean and comfortable room. Helpful housekeeping staff.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Bob thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the Trip Advisor community. I am very pleased that we were able to locate your pendant before your departure. I have shared your review at our weekly Department Head meeting and and sent a copy to our Executive Housekeeper to share with her team.

I hope you are able to return to our hotel soon!

Pierre Roy, VP & Gm
Cape Breton Island, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

I enjoy staying at the park place Ramada when I visit Dartmouth. It is a quick drive to shopping at Dartmouth Crossing and the Micmac Mall. The rooms are comfortable and use duvets (yay!) instead of bedspreads which are disgusting in my opinion. There is a hot breakfast buffet included in your stay which is nice. Ample parking space and a friendly staff make it a plus in my book. The only drawback is that they removed mini fridges from the rooms recently, and there aren't microwaves available in room either.

• Stayed April 2014
Ramadans, General Manager at Ramada Plaza Dartmouth Park Place, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Elizabeth I am so pleased that you had a great stay at Park Place Ramada Plaza! Thank you for referencing our great location and strong value equation! We did a lot of research before deciding on a supplier for our guestroom duvets...They are from a company called Northern Feather and our made in Canada with real duck down. The top sheets are hotel quality cotton and are changed with every guest for your comfort.

A significant number of our rooms do have mini fridges... All of our 31 suites have them... and we have small 'fleet" of roll in mini fridges. We have microwaves in our queen bedded suites and a small inventory of microwaves we deliver upon request. If mini fridges / microwaves are important to you... I can have a note added to your guest profile if you contact me off line.

Thanks for being our guest... I hope you have an opportunity to return soon.

Vice President & General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dartmouth
Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton Halifax - Dartmouth
BEST WESTERN PLUS Dartmouth Hotel & Suites
Travelodge Suites Halifax Dartmouth
Comfort Inn - Dartmouth
Comfort Inn - Dartmouth
#5 of 11 in Dartmouth
Comfort Hotel Bayer's Lake
Hearthstone Inn Halifax/Dartmouth

Been to Ramada Plaza Dartmouth Park Place? Share your experiences!