“Good bed...weird smell”

Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Dartmouth
Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada
“Good bed...weird smell”
Reviewed 24 September 2012

I was slightly disappointed when we drove up to the hotel. It had said recently renovated...didn't look like it had! We arrived after the cancellation time or I wouldn't have stayed. However, the room was clean and the bed was hard( I liked that) the carpets looked new! The room and hallways had a funky smell,and they were a bit on the small size.There was a huge water stain on the ceiling, glad it didn't rain that night... We opened the patio doors to get some fresh air.I don't consider renovations a spotty paint job... I wont be staying here again. I found this room on an internet special $79.00 would have paid a higher price for a better place.There is a free breakfast, we didn't go to it.Can't say what it was like.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Port Colborne, Canada
Reviewed 19 September 2012

Just to let you know that when you have an extended stay at this hotel ( more than seven days)they said that they are only obligated to clean your room only twice. You only get clean towels only if you ask. I found this very annoying because there were four people in our room.

Room Tip: ask for a harbor view room
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank garyandlynnscott
Neuchatel, Switzerland
Reviewed 16 September 2012

We booked this hotel through the wyndham rewards web site for the night of 13 September, and specifically requested to be in one of the allegedly refurbished rooms (as mentioned by other reviewers here). We contacted the hotel directly because we were scheduled to arrive "late" (at 7 PM, inbound flight into halifax) and didn't want to risk getting the left-over room. The hotel confirmed by email they had noted our reservation, and would do everything they could to keep a good room.

Upon arrival we got room 402, perpendicular to the elevators. Getting into the room it was musty and humid. The aeration in the bathroom was not working, the bathroom although cleaned, had 2 black long hairs in the shower/bath. Lovely noise from the elevator and from the room next door (we could understand what people were telling each other in the next room).

Tired from the 26 hour travel and connections we didn't want to start the "twelve tasks of asterix" in getting what we booked.

After a refreshing shower which lacked any water pressure I went to reception and friendly notified that we booked another room, and had it on email. That we were unhappy about the state of the bathroom, but didn't want to big fuss about it, just notify we felt unhappy. The lady replied grumpy that the hotel was full and that she could not do anything about it. I friendly replied that I didn't expect to change rooms at that time, that we were tired and expected to have received our reserved room upon arrival. She'd make a not of it.

I went to park the car. I was shown where the parking was, it was full. Upon notifying the reception they almost reacted as if I was stupid not to have seen that there is a second parking at the back of the hotel. No sign there is a second parking round the back, which if you don't know looks like a passage to another property/private.

I waited for some minutes in the reception for my wife to finish her shower before trying to get some dinner. I saw a total of 6 people checking in (here goes the hotel is full theory receptionists always try).

Next morning: The breakfast is an absolute nightmare for a European. The bread is donut-like in shape and tastes so sugary, it is just awful. The coffee is the typical lightly flavoured socks fluid that you expect in the US. Luckily there were apples and oranges so we could at least start the day by eating something to our EU taste.

Upon check-out, the reception (other lady) asked how our stay had been. I replied that the lady the night before made a note and that I already told everything I had to tell. There was no note. So I retold the story, and out of the blue the receptionist gave us a 15$ discount. She seemed very embarrassed and truly sorry.

We didn't want the discount, we wanted our reserved room and service. But, a noted gesture of goodwill just before we left!

We did have a reservation also for the 18th and planned on canceling. Given the friendly check-out ... Whould we keep the reservation and give them a second chance? But if it is to stay again in a bad room while having reserved and discussed something else. We'll see if we cancel or not. If we do stay again, we'll report here.

Room Tip: Avoid room 402 (in which we were) and probably the neighboring 403
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LuckyLuke_wine
London, Canada
Reviewed 15 August 2012

What an awful hotel. I would have complained in person but I ran out of time. The common areas of the hotel were very dirty. We were on the 6th floor and it reeked of old cigarettes. The showe/bath in our room was filthy with orange mold. At one point there was a loud gurgle and a bunch of dirty water backed up into the bath tub. The front desk staff were surly and even downright rude to us, ignoring us and then telling us they were too busy for us to check out right then. If we hadn't been so busy with moving to Ontario I would have left as soon as I saw that bathroom.

Room Tip: Pick a room with a harbour view and maybe it will distract you from this awful hotel.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 August 2012

We booked here because a travel guide gave it a good rating for economical accommodation. The price was great, but you get what you pay for. The beds were very hard, the decor was outdated, the lighting was dark and the place felt old and in need of a major overhaul. It's a 3 min walk to the ferry and quick 5 or 10 min ride to the Halifax harbor which is great. The room was at least half the cost if not a third what you would pay in Halifax, which is really the only good thing this place has going for it.

• Stayed August 2012
BrianGM, General Manager at Dartmouth Oceanview Hotel, responded to this review, 11 August 2012
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay. We sincerely apologize that the room you were in did not meet your expectations. We always hope our guests will let us know if there is a concern while in house, so that we can immediately correct any problem. We will be updating our bed & bedding as part on the Brand in the coming year. As you noted the cost compared to downtown Halifax hotels, many who stay with us love the location, ideal for exploring the city on foot and via the harbour ferry.

Again thank you for your comments as we do take in to account of guests option & views.

Yours in Hospitality. Russell Fudge
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 13 July 2012

I was very nervous when I was booked into this hotel using a discount hotel website. But I will say the hotel exceeded my expectations. We were booked into a King room but because there were 3 travellers I asked to be switched to a double room. Unfortunately, all that was available was a smoking room. The clerk let me come with him to check the room to see if it would do for the night and on the way he grabbed some industrial strength room freshener to try to help the stale smoke smell. It did nothing but it was nice that he made this effort. We accepted this room and if it hadn't been a smoking room in desperate need of a facelift & airing out it would have been great. A bedroom and a living room with counter and kitchen sink. I am assuming that the other rooms of the hotel have been updated but they are not wasting their money on the smoking rooms. Despite being old the room was clean and the beds were comfortable.
The lobby and breakfast areas were very nice. And the included continental breakfast was very good - cold cereals, breads, waffles and yogurt. The coffee was extremely hot!
The location is very good. A short walk down the hill brings you to the ferry terminal to bring you into Halifax.
I was happy for underground parking - this put my mind at ease. However, if I had chosen to bring my SUV instead of car we probably wouldn't have fit in there. It's very low. If you have an SUV, Van or Truck you will probably have to park outside.

Highlights:
Friendly/Accommodating Staff
Good Location
Good Breakfast
Underground parking (some limitations)

Low-lights:
Rooms in desperate need of updating

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Vive78
, General Manager at Dartmouth Oceanview Hotel, responded to this review, 16 July 2012
Thank you for your comments on your recent stay. We do apologize for not having a non smoking room suitable for your needs. We hope to have a future opportunity to serve you again.
Canada
Reviewed 12 July 2012

Incredible staff, good location and great value - significantly better than I expected after reading several reviews. Our room was clean. roomy and odor free. Great view from the balcony. Outside parking was close and uneventful. Breakfast was fine and the staff extremely helpful. We strolled outside during the evening from pubs to waterfront without any concern at all. If you were looking just to complain, I could find a spot on the ceiling rhat needed re-doing or note the ac was loud but to stay in a snazzier hotel in Halifax (a short ferry ride away) would have cost AT LEAST twice as much. We will not hesitate to return! Thanks Dartmouth Super 8!!

Room Tip: Try the waffles at breakfast - great! If you are going to the nearby Celtic Pub to eat, the food is...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
, General Manager at Dartmouth Oceanview Hotel, responded to this review, 13 July 2012
Thank you for your comments. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and visit around the city. We will happily look forward to your return visit.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dartmouth
Dartmouth Centre
Holiday Inn Halifax Harbourview
Comfort Inn - Dartmouth
#5 of 11 in Dartmouth
Downtown Halifax
The Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites
Coastal Inn Dartmouth
#9 of 11 in Dartmouth

Been to Dartmouth Oceanview Hotel? Share your experiences!