“Good”

Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Dartmouth
Reviewed 21 May 2013

Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Marilyn S
Chantale N, Guest Relations Manager at Dartmouth Oceanview Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2013

Reviewed 9 May 2013

I did not have a good satisfaction. The hotel is old. Poor breakfast and internet connections. I would not stay in this particular hotel next time i'm in Halifax.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Super 8

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review of your stay with us. I will look further into our internet to see if the signal strength is no longer sufficient.

Reviewed 5 May 2013

I currently stayed at this hotel. The night before i was scheduled to check-in I called to require about the damage deposit. Was told the amount needed with debt. Then upon checking in the next day, was told beyond RUDELY! that I could not use my debt for a deposit , only cash or credit card. I explained to the "Lady": that I called the night before and they told me that I could use my debt card. She told me that I can't and that was that! To top it all off she was beyond rude and rolled her eyes many times. While I was standing there there was another guest at the desk as well, when i stepped aside to let him finish up, he turned , looked at me, and said "I'll never come back here again after dealing with her" I could not believe what was happening! I looked for her name tag to get her name and big surprise there was no uniform at all, or even name tag! After trying my hardest to talk to her as nice as I could, explaining that we were told we could use debt and that the cash deposit was WAY more then the debt and we were not expecting or carrying that much cash on us, she advised us again very rudely we can walk to a ATM. At this point I was mad!! I finally got her to lower the cash deposit rate, on which she told me "I'm only doing this in hopes you don't trash the room!" After all this, we finally got into our room, 2 hours later, mind you!!!! I personally feel like she put us in the worst room of all! I was there before and was in a beautiful room, this one was dark and just drab feeling. at check-out she was there again! sitting out back, at a desk, I stood there waiting when she finally seen me i got a "YES!?!?" rudely again! (see a pattern here) and i was very surprised that after all that fuss about the money for the deposit, my room wasn't even checked before I received my money back. One would think that after all that fuss and thinking I'd trash a room, someone would check it before I received my money back, but it wasn't. I highly doubt we will be back!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Chantale N, Guest Relations Manager at Dartmouth Oceanview Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback from your stay with us. Unfortunately our POS machine was not working properly to allow for debit transactions and I apologize for any issues that this caused for you. We strive to provide a friendly, welcoming atmosphere for all of our guests, and I can see this was not the case for you. I would be happy to further discuss your stay if you would like to contact me directly.

Reviewed 5 May 2013

Plus side, underground parking decently priced
Down side, very, VERY cramped parking... if you have a hard time backing up, not for you!

+ Close to Ferry
- Sketchy neighborhood, so not great to walk at night even though the motel is just 2 blocks from ferry terminal.

+ Includes breakfast (cereal, muffin, bagel, yogurt, coffee, tea)
- Not a lot of options... one kind of muffin, would be nice to have boiled eggs or some kind of protein.

+ Rooms are clean, housekeeping left us a not to have a good day (mattress is firm)
- Rooms are dated, but, motel is starting to do renovations, so they are aware... Also, walls very thin, so if you have early risers next to you, your up for the day. Could hear their radio, the shower, the toilet flush, everything.

Night staff was great, day staff was nice once getting to talk to them.

Room Tip: 2nd floor and 6th (I think) are pet friendly, 7th is smoking floor. All have balconies.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Chantale N, Guest Relations Manager at Dartmouth Oceanview Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review of our property. If you are in the Dartmouth area again, we hope to have you stay with us.

Reviewed 1 May 2013

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 23 April 2013

We had booked this hotel for convenience being walking distance from the Halifax ferry. From our previous experience with Super 8 hotels this one was below our expectations.

The evening employee who checked us in was friendly and courteous but seemed overworked and tired. We were given room 609 with harbor view on the 6th floor (pet friendly floor: thank goodness we didn’t have our cats with us!) but there was a really bad stench in the hallway and in the room, like dirty stinky feet. The room 510 with harbor view on the 5th floor was much better although there was a big water damage stain on the ceiling about 20 inches wide with paint peeling off near the balcony which made us wonder if the smell upstairs could have something to do with this.

The room was somewhat clean and the view was nice but the bed was really hard and the pillows not comfortable.The breakfast area was dirty: upon checking in we went to have a look and all the handles of the drawers under the counter were sticky and covered in what might have been coffee and the morning employee who had to tend to the front desk and the breakfast seemed unfriendly and unfit for a customer service job.

Of the few positives for us were the fridge / microwave in the room, walking to the NoFrills Supermarket through the park and the proximity to the ferry. It seems like there could be a shortage of employees at this hotel because we only saw 1 per shift which could be a security concern. We were only there for one night and would not recommend this hotel and will not return unless we heard major changes and improvements had been done. The employees and the building are in bad need of TLC.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback from your stay with us. We use our guests feedback to pinpoint areas that need improvement, and appreciate hearing any comments regarding our rooms and our staff on the areas that were disappointing and areas that were enjoyed. Again thank you for your comments and we do hope you will stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed 2 April 2013

Hello. Stayed at the Super 8 Dartmouth before flying to Dominican on March 20th, 2013.

Got a good deal through Priceline, 70 bucks including parking/taxes.

The location is amazing, I was meeting some friends in halifax for dinner that evening, and it was a quick 2 minute walk downhill to the ferry terminal, and a very scenic 15 minutes ride across the harbour.

The room was clean, quiet, had everything you are looking for from a 2 star, I am actually looking at staying here again next month with some friends for a stag party. You really can't beat the location, as you get a dartmouth price hotel, and are very quickly able to get across to the halifax nightlife.

Peireg

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo

Thank you for your review of our property. We look forward to welcoming you again.