“Nice place - hard working staff”

Dartmouth Oceanview Hotel
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Dartmouth
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Nice place - hard working staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2013

The front desk staff did multiple jobs; took care of the desk, helped with housekeeping, did all the work at the breakfast buffet - without complaint. Kim was exceptionally helpful to us throughout our three day stay. The room was great - once we moved from a lower floor that had a ceiling leak - hotel staff responded immediately and didn't let it affect our vacation plans for the day. The upper room (6th floor) had great views - the hotel is conveniently located near the ferry to Halifax (don't take the car; leave it at the hotel and take the ferry to Halifas - very walkable city). I would stay there again.

Room Tip: higher floors offer a better view of Halifax.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Chantale N, Guest Relations Manager at Dartmouth Oceanview Hotel, responded to this review, 11 September 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide us feedback from your stay. We do have a very hardworking staff who strive to ensure each guests stay is fully enjoyed. I am glad to see you were able to enjoy your time in the city, and with your stay here at the Dartmouth Oceanview Hotel.

We look forward to greeting you again!
Best Regards - Chantale - Guest Service Manager, Dartmouth Oceanview Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2013

I have just completed a 31-night stay at the Dartmouth Oceanview Hotel. I reviewed this hotel extensively, and positively, after a similar 31-night stay a year ago, when the hotel was flying the Super 8 flag. That review is still online.

There is no doubt that this hotel gets dramatically mixed reviews. Some people appear to have had very negative experiences, while others applaud it. Maybe my standards are too low – I don’t think so – or maybe I have just had good luck. Or maybe some reviewers have exaggerated their problems? Whatever the case, I know that I have greatly enjoyed both of my extended stays at the Dartmouth Super 8 / Dartmouth Oceanview Hotel, and hope to return again. Most of the problems mentioned by reviewers I simply have not seen, and I’ve had ample time for observation.

OK, the hotel is not completely problem free. But what hotel is? I will deal first with what I perceive to be the most serious issue. Parking would top my list. Unless you drive a mid-size car or smaller, you will need to use the outdoor lot. The garage is very low, and will not accommodate vehicles of any height. Also, there isn’t much manoeuvreing room down there, so even if you have a smaller vehicle you may prefer the outside lot. Sadly, the outside lot is unpaved, and has some large depressions which fill up with muddy water when it rains. Paving the lot, or even just filling in the holes, would bring a huge improvement. It is also possible, although rare, to find the lot full when you return from an outing. That said, the lot is under video surveillance and I have never had a security issue there.

The word “Oceanview” in the new name of this hotel is somewhat optimistic. Only one of the building’s four sides has a direct “ocean” view, and in truth, the view from the top 4 floors on that side is of the harbour rather than the ocean. The best harbour view is from the top (7th) floor, but sadly this floor is reserved for smokers. It would be a good move to make the hotel smoke free, although I will say that the smoke appears to stay confined to the 7th and does not permeate the lower floors. But the allocation of the few non-smoking harbour-view rooms on floors 4, 5, and 6 is a mystery to me. Management won’t promise you one at booking. So, who gets those rooms? There needs to be a clear policy spelled out about this.

At booking, make sure you establish exactly what type of room you will be getting. Not all rooms at this hotel are created equal. When I arrived this year, I found myself allocated a room that was missing several of the amenities I had enjoyed last year. The room was considerably smaller, the fridge was half-mini size, there was no kitchenette counter, and the view was mainly of the nearby postal terminal loading dock. For an overnight stay this would have been OK. But for a month? I voiced my disappointment and was, without any fuss, given a room that measured up to my expectations. I suggest that you make sure that your room is equipped with a locking screen on the balcony door, unless you are content with ventilation from the air conditioning / fan / heating unit. But air from this mechanical source comes at the price of fan noise. I like a quiet opening to the outside world, but would be reluctant to leave the sliding balcony door open all night without the locking screen. My room initially did not have its screen in place, but there’s an excellent maintenance person at this hotel and, on request, the screen was installed in timely fashion.

One annoyance during this year’s stay concerned the room telephone. During a month-long residency, I often need to make local calls. Local calls are free – just dial 9 and then your number. Unfortunately, dialing 9 did not function. I had to dial 0 and wait for someone at the front desk to place my call. This is an inconvenience for all concerned. Oddly, there was no fix for this during the entire month. The room TV worked fine, offering lots of stations, although the remote sometimes needed to be coaxed.

But that’s about it for the gripes, which are mostly minor. I had no issues with cleanliness. Paint and paper are generally in good condition. My room was clean, well supplied, and it was kept that way by very friendly staff. I thought breakfast was great. There is a wide assortment of goodies, and a pleasant eating area with a TV. Just help yourself to a free newspaper. Paper plates are supplied so you can take food back to your room. The eating area is cleaned daily, and I have personally seen the elevators and other common areas being scrubbed out regularly. I have never seen fleas or bed bugs or any other insect life. My heating / cooling unit worked flawlessly and was as quiet as any of those units are likely to be. Plumbing is A-1. There is lots of bathroom counter space, plenty of hot water, and strong showers. Lighting is ample – so many hotel rooms are dark. Having a balcony is a huge plus, and the wide sliding door admits lots of air and light. Wireless internet is fast and completely reliable. I encountered no noise issues. If you time your 5 minute walk to the ferry terminal right, you can be on the waterfront in downtown Halifax within 20 minutes of leaving the hotel. I think the plusses here far outnumber the few minor negatives.

This is not a “pretty” hotel. You won’t snap a photo of its early 70s cement fortress facade to send to the folks back home, but it is good, clean, reasonable accommodation, and the folks working the front desk are courteous and helpful. I would certainly recommend it to anyone.

Why 31 nights? The Nova Scotia government views a month’s stay as residency and waives the hotel tax. This saves hundreds, and the hotel itself offers special rates on extended stays.

Room Tip: Get an exact description of your room and its contents. Be sure the sliding & locking screen is...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Jauntee
Chantale N, Guest Relations Manager at Dartmouth Oceanview Hotel, responded to this review, 17 August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide such a thorough review of the Dartmouth Oceanview Hotel. It was nice to have you stay with us again. I am sorry for the phone issues during your stay, it did take some time, but that has been corrected. We are currently undergoing some upgrades on many of our rooms to make them more comfortable for those staying for extended periods, we look forward to having you stay with us again next year and let us know what you think.

Chantale - Guest Service Manager - Dartmouth Oceanview Hotel
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2013

We are currently staying here but are checking out tomorrow. We had booked in for 8 days but after making the mistake of booking two double beds instead of a queen we are out of here. We asked the front desk to switch us to a queen bed as we were not comfortable. We were told because we booked for two double beds they couldn't do that as the housekeeping wouldn't have it on their list to make a room with a queen clean. There was no solution advising that we could switch another day or anything. We were told we would have to stay another night or pay as we wanted to check out at that point. We were 1hr past check out...
The customer service was horrible and for the lack of flexibility the hotel is losing 7 nights.
All in all not a great experience and I would not recommend to anyone. We are headed to give our money to another hotel.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank MLF1981
I am sorry your stay with us was not to your expectation, unfortunately there are times that it is not as easy to switch to a different room or bed type. Our staff always strive to make our guests happy and as comfortable as possible during their stay. Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay.

Chantale - Guest Service Manager - Dartmouth Oceanview Hotel
Mankato, Minnesota
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2013

We booked this online in May. We had read reviews that is was nothing special but, it was close to the ferry. When we got there it was all very shady. It looked very run down and not well kept.
Our keys would not wok initially either. The lady at the front desk had to come outside to let us in the parking garage. The parking garage was awfully low. As she was letting us in a very average looking mini van pulled up and she stated, "I don't know why they are coming in though here they cant fit down there."
By this time we had seen enough to be skeptical. We decided to leave our bags in the car in case there were bed bugs. On our way up to the room it got worse. Everything was dirty and dilapidated. The wall paper was coming off and dirty. The carpet was disgusting and the place smelled musty and smoky. When we got in to or room the carpet looked filthy. The ceiling trust had been leaking for quite some time. It was just painted over. In the bathroom there was a dropped ceiling. It was filthy and peeling. I went to the bathroom and all of the sudden the smell of pot was overwhelming. It was so strong and sudden the only way I can explain it was the dropped ceiling must have not been separated above our room and the next. We checked for bed bugs and there were none. The first positive for this place.
By this time we have had enough. We decided to leave even though it was non-refundable. We thought we might be able to get our money back though. At that time they were advertising as a Super 8 even though they weren't technically one anymore, clearly false advertising. It took us nearly a month and we have been refunded. No thanks to the lady at the front desk whom was extremely unprofessional. However, I did feel bad for her as she seemed to be running the whole dysfunctional [--] show by herself. She appeared to be overworked and underpaid. Don't stay here. I have never walked out of a hotel in my life. I am not fussy. I have stayed at some real hole in the wall places before. This is the dirtiest place I have stayed at.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lizzie0113
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. I understand that after switching over from Super 8 in mid - May there was some confusion, as websites went through updates. I apologize for the issues had during your stay and I am truly sorry our service was not to your expectations, we appreciate you providing this feedback to make us aware of the areas that do need improvement.

Chantale - Guest Service Manager, Dartmouth Oceanview Hotel
Mississauga, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2013

Room was clean, slept well but depending on who was working the front desk service was ok to terrible - good idea if manager rectified this problem. First night check in was fine - booked two nights but morning after desk clerk now says not sure if we can book second - she said she would call up to our room and let us know sometime, what? we were on our way out for the day, did she think we would stay in our room all day - she said hotel was overbooked but couldn't figure out room availability - blamed on computer - but house keeping head staff knew exactly what was available - later in day neither room key was working - another desk person working looked at us saying she didn't know why either? The end. We then had to ask if we could have them replaced. Da, Terrible service for hospitality industry. Breakfast was poor, worst possible continental breakfast not refilled, no fruit at all, ran out of number of items, even the coffee was like brown hotwater - ok for a nights sleep but not even a great price - average .

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Chantale N, Guest Relations Manager at Dartmouth Oceanview Hotel, responded to this review, 10 July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay with us. I am sorry to hear of the service issues had during your stay and will use this information to improve our service levels among all staff here. We hope when you are in the area again you will consider staying at our property.

Chantale - Guest Services Manager - Dartmouth Oceanview Hotel
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2013

This place gets 3 stars because it really was a good deal relative to the rest of Halifax. But it was kind of a strange hotel and I wouldn't recommend it unless it's cheap. The front desk people hang out in the back office and only come out when it's clear that a guest needs help. One of the women we dealt with was pretty rude and the other was slow to check us in due to lack of training on their new computer systems. The room itself is fine (and clean) but small with an odd layout that made it difficult to move around. Also, not a fan of the neighborhood.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Alex S
Halifax, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2013

So my friends and I booked this hotel for the night thinking it would be a great stay...were we ever wrong!!!!! We arrived to the hotel around supper time, excited because we were going out and looking forward to our stay. I go to check in and there was no one at the desk. The voice comes from the back office.."Hello" she says. (you would think she would be at the desk waiting to check people in not sitting in the back office) I told her I was here to check in and she asked for my name. I told her who I was and that I wanted to pay cash for the room. She replied..uh ok. I told her I would pay by cash and leave the incidentals on my credit card. She then informed me that it would be a $150.00 authorization per room... are you kidding me!!!!!! I work at a hotel which is more upscale then this and we only take 75.00 as a deposit. (having stayed at other hotels this 150.00 is way more then needed for a hotel at such a low scale) Once we get the money situation over with she makes the room keys and my friends head up to the room, as I wait to get my bill. One of the girls comes down to the desk saying the key does not work. The front desk agent tells her it must not be activated yet it takes time. (I'm sorry but once you make a key it should work, there is no waiting) My friend and I go up to the room and once again the key does not work...So we wait a few moments like the oh so kind lady said. This is now going on 10 minutes trying to get into our second room. One of the girls goes back downstairs because at this point we are very frustrated and not happy. We have places we need to be. When she gets to the desk. The "very kind" agent says patience is a virtue...my friend said to her are you kidding me we have been waiting long enough. The agent says to her again Patience is a virtue. (Im sorry lady but you DO NOT say that to a guest) The oh so kind lady came up to the room after 15 minutes of trying to get in. My friends were sitting on the floor waiting and had opened a drink, the first thing she says is no drinking in the hall...not in a nice way at all. She tries to get the door opened and she herself is having an issue. She pushes on the door and says oh there must be something wrong with the lock. She uses the master key to open it no problem. She then notices that the other room has their door propped open and she says your door needs to be closed.
She honestly was the rudest person I have ever met in my life and she should not be working in this industry. If I said any of this to a guest I would be told to pack my bags and leave. The General Manager will be hearing from me!
oh did i mention one elevator did not work and it didn't seem like they were doing anything to fix it. The ceiling in the room was cracked it was just a terrible hotel!!
DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Jennifer B
Thank you for providing feedback regarding your stay with us. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know of issues had during your stay, it gives us the opportunity to see where attention is required. If you would like to further discuss your stay, I look forward to hearing from you directly.

Chantale - Guest Services Manager - Dartmouth Oceanview Hotel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dartmouth
Downtown Halifax
Cambridge Suites - Halifax
Dartmouth Centre
Holiday Inn Halifax Harbourview
Comfort Inn - Dartmouth
#5 of 11 in Dartmouth

Been to Dartmouth Oceanview Hotel? Share your experiences!