“They lost their chef.....it is obvious”
Review of Colby Wine Bar and Bistro - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Colby Wine Bar and Bistro
Price range: US$20 - US$25
Cuisines: Wine Bar
Reviewed 11 November 2012

I have been to the restaurant many times. As a vegetarian it has been a pleasure to consult with the chef and eat his offerings. The homemade bread was wonderful. Now is a new story. The service is sparse and unduly long. The food is subpar and pricey. My Toronto friends had loved the chowder but this visit it proved strong and runny. The restaurant has not kept its original standards and I won't be back.

1  Thank bobokitten

Reviewed 2 October 2012

I had been here a few times, and was always underwhelmed by the food, I heard they had launched a new menu so I figured I would try it out.

It was spectacular! They have a deal where you get three apps for like 20$, we had a lobster pouting as one of our apps, and it was crazy. Giant chunks of lobster and some smokey cheese, real good. The other apps were good too, a little pizza thing with veggies and calamari were the ones we got. The calamari had a really nice tomato sauce with it, sweet and a little bit spicy.

We were going to get dinner but we got full off the apps, three between two people is a lot. We had a gingerbread for dessert and it was good. The caramel was homemade and had a nice rum flavor. The nuts on top were amazing

Our server was very nice, and the place is still pretty on the inside. However, the huge issue, which others have pointed out, is the vlts. It is such a nice place, we got dressed up to go and the servers wear nice clothes, but having sketchy people in ball caps and shorts really detracts from the atmosphere. I don't know if they can ever be taken seriously with all these people constantly cashing tickets in such a nice place.

So all in all, the menu changes are fantastic, service is still great, and hopefully the new menu is enough to get people coming back despite the gamblers.

Reviewed 10 August 2012

Ok I would have given 4 stars but the VLT (casino) gamblers walking back and forth through this nice restaurant puts me off a little! Baseball caps and drunken-ness doesn't really go with the vibe - I assume - they are trying to achieve in this "Wine Bar and Bistro". Nice waitress. Nice selection of wine by the glass and to our delight it was 2 for 1. I also tried an import beer. Nice meals. Nothing to rave about but we don't have much in Cole Harbour that is better!
Anyway my only advice would be to either get rid of the VLT's(don't you own another bar with VLT's 3 doors down?) or put a wall between with a designated area for cash/service for the gamblers!
Cause its a shame.....such nice potential otherwise!

Reviewed 22 July 2012

I went to the Colby with my family to enjoy a nice meal and as soon as I got there it was terrible. First off they ran out of the beer I ordered, then the girls couldn't have a margarita because they couldn't find the mix for it. Second we were the only ones in the restaurant and out appetizers took 45 minutes to come out and tasted terrible. Third we couldn't order chicken Parmesan because they had no spaghetti noodles so they gave us cold clumpy mashed potatoes instead. The fries were sitting there for Along time or overlooked . The steak was old and raw. The Blt was on a sausage bun with 2 pieces of bacon and whole cherry tomatoes and there was a hair in my chowder and the bill came to 185$ and the server advised they couldn't do anything about the bill because the manager wasn't in. By far worst place I've ever been to in my life I would never go back .

Reviewed 12 February 2012

We went there for brunch on Sunday morning, and can't say enough good things! There was a surprisingly large selection, we received our food fast, the portions were generous, and everyone loved their meals! We had been to the Colby Alehouse a couple of times for dinner a while back, but this was our first time since it moved. The new location is very close to the previous one, and the interior and atmosphere is lovely. I would recommend this place to anyone!