“Amazing place, amazing hosts!”

Digby Backpackers Inn
Perth, Australia
“Amazing place, amazing hosts!”
Reviewed 27 September 2013 via mobile

This is one of the nicest hostels I've stayed in. It's incredibly clean with super comfy beds. I stayed in the 4 bed dorm with en suite and the shower was fantastic - excellent water pressure with great heat. Saskia and Claude are great hosts! They happily arranged my whale watching tour for me and then were happy to include me at their table when I bumped into them at a local restaurant. They clearly love where they live, readily sharing their highlites with me. They also take a genuine interest in their guests which is nice to see. I would happily stay again!

Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Vanessa78_12

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 13 September 2013

The Digby Backpackers Hostel offers all the charm and service of a B&B but priced as a hostel, which it is. Basic breakfast was included. The hostel is in a beautiful old home. I stayed in the 4-bed dorm which has its own modern bathroom. Claude and Saskia are very welcoming and offer helpful advice about local restaurants, sights and activities. Best hostel experience ever.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Lorraine G
Newmarket, Canada
Reviewed 20 August 2013

I've stayed in many hostels throughout Europe, so I decided to give the hostels on this side of the pond a try. I'm so glad that I stayed at this hostel! From the moment we stepped into the place we were greeted with open arms, a friendly smile, and helpful advice on where to eat and tour. I was really pleased with their no-shoes inside policy, because it made it feel more like home. The hostel is very clean, has great character, and while there is only one washroom, there was never a line-up and it was clean!! We didn't stay long enough to fully enjoy all that this hostel had to offer (bonfires in the backyard, board games and great company...our trip was hurried) but I would definitely recommend this place to any person travelling on a budget or looking for a more personal travel experience. Great breakfast to start the day, and a nice friendly send-off when you check out. Great price too!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Jennifer K
Delran, New Jersey
Reviewed 11 August 2013

We had a lovely stay here. To be honest, it was our first time in a hostel - we would definitely do this again. The owners are very nice and welcoming. We helped them to christen their new deck and shared our 1/2 bottle of vodka with them and the other guests. How fun.

The room was nice and clean. The whole place was very nice.

Definitely plan on staying here if you visit Digby. What a lovely, quiet bayside community. We had lovely time.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ConnieSchwedes
Zug, Schweiz
Reviewed 22 July 2013

One of our stops was Digby, where we went claim digging at the beach. After a though claim digging session we checked in at the Digby Backpackers where Claude and Saskia suprised us with a self cooked dinner! Every morning we got served with a good and healthy breakfast. We definately had a great time in "quiet* Digby. Claude provided us with some fresh and dry wood so we were able to do a gigantic fire every evening. We roasted some "Smoars", drank some beers, played cards and had some great conversations while sitting around the fire.

Cheers

Steff

Room Tip: all rooms are convenient and clean
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank steffsurf
Reviewed 20 July 2013 via mobile

A fantastic hostel with great owners. Clean, right by the water front and extremely helpful. I had a wonderful stay here as part of a 6 week back packing trip. Saskia and Claude are super owners always available to give advice and tips on how to have a great time in Nova Scotia...was sad to leave...

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank Jules197979
Fernie, Canada
Reviewed 14 July 2013

Had a great stay here on the first night of my visit to Nova Scotia. Digby is a beautiful spot to visit and try some of the famous, delicious scallops. The staff are friendly and helpful and the location is within walking distance of the harbour.
The hostel is a very well kept historical house with chunky wooden doorframes and windows. It feels solid and warm and inviting. There's a large, well-equipped kitchen for guests and a comfortable lounge with plenty of space to hang out and chat with other guests. The room I stayed in slept 4 in bunk-beds and had a modern, spacious,very clean en-suite bathroom with shower.
The only complaint I would have is that the bathroom & bedroom doors are incredibly noisy and locked by an antique key that clonks and clatters as it turns. Both of my other room-mates (one of whom was a staff member) got up during the night and felt the need to lock themselves very noisily into the bathroom and then the same again 5 minutes later as they came out. We also had an additional person arrive at 2am, banging and crashing both doors repeatedly, despite the fact that there was an empty room right across the hall. In all, I think I slept a maximum of 90 minutes at a time all night due to all the noisy doors. Very good earplugs are highly recommended and it wouldn't hurt for the owners to consider quieter door catches and locks...

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Rfaraway
Saskia80, Owner at Digby Backpackers Inn, responded to this review, 16 July 2013
Hi,

Thank you for your review and we are glad you enjoyed your stay! I just wanted to respond to one point, which is that the guest arriving at 2am was not a new arrival at that time at night, we do not allow new (dorm room) arrivals past midnight to ensure everyone's comfort... If we would have such a late arrival (which we only allow on a case per case basis, depending on availability and how busy we are) we always place this person in an otherwise empty room. I am sorry you had a room mate who was that loud at that time of night.

Kind regards,