“Best stay in Halifax”

Ascendence Harbourside Mansion Bed & Breakfast Halifax
Ranked #4 of 22 Halifax B&B and Inns
“Best stay in Halifax”
Reviewed 19 May 2014

To start, Catherine and her partner gave amazing service. They made sure we had everything, tended to special services that we required, and it was a very quiet and private place! Parking is a little tight, but other than that, I had a wonderful stay! Anytime I visit Halifax, the Ascendence B&B is where I'll be staying.

• Stayed May 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Fanny Bay, Canada
Reviewed 9 March 2014

staying at this B&B was one of the worst experiences I've had while traveling.First of all if you need anything or have a question you have to phone some who relays the message to a property manager. The bed was very comfortable. When I phoned for a remote that would work with the tiny T.V. in the room I was told they would bring me one in an hour and a half.It never arrived, the wall paper was peeling off the walls, the "lock" was an eye hook on the door.They advertised an airport shuttle which turned out to be a $60.00 cab ride.If I had known it was going to be that expensive I could have stayed at a nice hotel for much cheaper. Not a good experience at all.

Room Tip: If you are looking for a stay don't stay there.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Margaret D
Beausejour, Canada
Reviewed 31 January 2014

Have to say this was a wonderful experience . We have seldom experienced anyone going so out of there way to make things perfect for us. We arrived very late and still were treated with extreme curtsey and respect. The room was like home , the bed extremely comfortable. The breakfast was delicious and our hostess Samantha totally friendly, helpful ... Its the only place to stay, the price was so reasonable , when you you think of the cost of hotel rooms and from experience you wont get this level of comfort .. this is the place to stay in Halifax,NS ...

Room Tip: if your going in Winter .. have snow tires .. its Halifax ,NS .there is a hill to climb .....
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 25 January 2014

I think the best part of our stay was Katherine the owner who was very outgoing and enthusiastic. I happened to leave a pair of favorite sandals at the B&B and did not realize that I had lost them until I had returned home to Texas. I was thrilled when the sandals were eventually mailed back to me. I had wanted to pay for shipping but Katherine never charged me for this. I hope the she and her family are having a safe trip to Mexico now!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank VWM55
Moncton, Canada
Reviewed 1 November 2013

The B&B was a nice location for our stay in Halifax.
You need a car to get downtown late at night if that's where you want to go.
The price was a bit high but it included free Wifi and breakfast.
The owner was very nice and generous and prepared a lunch package since we had to leave early in the morning. It seemed like the room and bathroom weren't cleaned lately.
There was loud TV noise in the adjacent room in the late evening which I don't think is proper!
Overall, I'd stay here again since it's a nice location.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 26 October 2013

We enjoyed our stay at the Ascendence Harbourside Mansion. It is an old house, a little tired, but much loved. The owners are young, enthusiastic, and fall all over themselves to make your stay enjoyable. Our room was small but clean and adequate. The beds were good and our breakfast was prepared with care. The bi-modal reviews are hard to understand. We took a chance and were glad we did.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank William R
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 13 August 2013

We took a chance on this B&B even though others had panned it. Our first mistake. It is 10 minutes from Halifax, but there is NO view of the water. The musty smell in our bathroom was just the beginning. We could hear the owners children running upstairs until 10:00PM, and then the morning clatter of breakfast prep at 7:15 AM. After climbing into bed we both began to itch. My friend was too tired to move to another hotel (our second mistake) so he slept on top of the blankets and I (didn't) sleep on the hard, cold vinyl sofa. Breakfast was plentiful and good but Kat, the owner, sat down with us and proceeded to tell us how horrible Americans were!! Before we checked out I told them about the itching the night before (possibly due to the overly fragranced sheets), and our temptation to leave the night before. Her husband looked genuinely concerned, but Kat dismissed it as a mistake by her housekeeper and then went on to insult us again by saying "isn't it just like Americans to want to leave instead of asking to have the sheets changed". The owners are young and sharp business people. They own another low income housing project across the river. But they DO NOT know how to run a B&B. Don't waste your money.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple