“Lobster chowder = worthwhile item”
Review of Red Stag Tavern

Red Stag Tavern
Ranked #60 of 751 Restaurants in Halifax
Price range: US$8 - US$14
Cuisines: Seafood, Pub
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Your neighbourhood pub in the downtown core of Halifax Nova Scotia.
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

We stopped here for lunch just before we went on the Alexander Keith's brewery tour. We sat ourselves down - so that was quick, but initial greetings by a server was slow. The entire time we were there, service was quite slow.

The brunch menu was quite limited in options but makes perfect sense. We ordered the Lobster Chowder to start, the Fish & Chips and the AK Burger - all to share amongst my fiancé and I.

Our favourite was the Lobster Chowder, which was creamy and had huge chunks of lobster and different seafood items. The taste was spot on, not too salty or bland. The other 2 items were typical pub items that are hard to mess up.

Highly recommended for lunch.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

WOW. I really wish I had read the recent reviews, and not relied on the total number of positives going back months and years.

This place is atrocious. Seriously some of the most disgusting food I have ever eaten. There is no other way to put it.

I came here for a late dinner and should've been tipped off that there was a problem when there were more servers than customers.

I ordered the pulled pork sandwich. The owners should be absolutely ashamed to serve this food. The pulled pork was:
(a) dry and pale in colour
(b) luke-warm in temperature
(c) totally devoid of any character taste!

Eating at McDonalds would be better. And I haven't eaten there in over 12 years!

The wedge fries had clearly been re-fried as they were soaked with grease. Old grease. (I have rarely found a quality restaurant that serves wedge fries; so should have been another warning too me when I saw the menu I suppose).

This may sound over the top bad as a review. But this place is really terrible. I travel a lot for business so have been to many local places. I rely on Trip Advisor and am rarely steered wrong.

So my advice to all is be forewarned. Avoid this place and move on to somewhere else.

My suggestion to management if they read this is to take a serious look at your quality control. Based on recent reviews it seems something has gone dreadfully wrong lately and you are at risk of tanking in a trend of bad reviews

2  Thank Batterie5
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Two years ago, my wife and I ended our 2+ week maritime vacation at the Red Stag. The people were really friendly, my wife had an iceberg (Keith’s topped with a slush margarita, Yea baby), and we ended up buying two of the great pilsner glasses. It really put the cherry on top of a great vacation. Great People - Great Time.

We went there again today after a great harbor cruise around this great city. What we found was a wholly different atmosphere, sub-par food, and no iceberg. The waitress was quite nice to us saying that things change over two years. Keep in mind that we even saw this iceberg on a recent travel channel TV show and it is written by several people here on TripAdvisor. I went nicely to the bar to ask for a manager. The manager told me that the blender broke sometime last year and they need to replace it. Really? I don’t use a blender everyday in my own home, but I would not go a year without one in my house.

So, we ordered some beer and two appetizers: Tips and Tails (breaded haddock) and Chicken Tandori bites. What we found was that the chicken and haddock was somewhere within an over-fried breaded thing. I am attaching a picture so that you can see the size of the chicken piece. I do not have a before picture.

You have a great place – get your act together, please, eh?

RedStagManagement, Owner at Red Stag Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Hi MacPEI,

I must apologize for your unsatisfactory experience. The blender issues, we have been dealing with since the fall, but we are now just waiting on the replacement part. I do apologize, it wasn't as big of a deal until the beautiful weather came flying in a week ago or so. So I can assure you that it will be in working order asap, once that part comes in.

Regarding the food, we obviously were not on our A game. All of those items are usually quite popular, but this time we didn't come through. I am sorry that your only visit was so awful. I did receive the feedback later on that day btw, which I believe was Canada Day, about you asking for the "Iceberg". When I hear feedback like yours, I definitely take it personally, because we pride ourselves on blowing people away. Please give us another chance if you find yourself in Halifax again, I guarantee that it will be an amazing experience.

If you have any other feedback please feel free to send me an email.

apurcell@redstag.ca

General Manager/Owner

Reviewed 12 June 2014

I visited the Red Stag for lunch with a friend today. We arrived at noon, and noticed everyone was inside, not on the 4th story patio. After we found a table with a view of the Halifax waterfront and Harbour we realized why we were the only ones there. It was very windy, but we suffered through it because we have been sun starved here on the east Coast this year. We ordered a beer that they didn't serve, so I settle for Perrier, which they were out of, so decided on a glass of house red, which I got for free because it had been refrigerated....which was a nice gesture. So my wine was free. I ordered the calamari, $10...batter fried - a few seconds too long, and the batter was pale and unattractive. The seafood sauce was Heinz bottles...nothing fancy and very skimpy portioning. My friend had the seafood chowder $10 and it was ok, but thickened with flour or starch… the portioning very small. My belief is, if you know you are getting traditional pub food it's not quality or presentation you should expect, but greater quantity, steaming hot just out of the fryer, crispy and plentiful. If it's bistro, or high end, you expect quality, presentation and small portioning is accepted because the food is just soooo darned good. In this case, it was unimpressive pub style food, and in short supply, as well as cold. I realized upon leaving that the servers have to carry plates from the kitchen up many flights of steps. By the time it hits your table, it's already only warm. The service was outstanding, friendly, attentive.....food was just bad, not even ok. It's a great venue, old historical Halifax, stunning view, but the foods has to improve before I go back to eat, however, if just a beer is my whimsy I would like to go back with friends....sorry guys.

RedStagManagement, General Manager at Red Stag Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2014

Thank you for your feedback CubaJunkee,

I have to apologize for your experience at The Red Stag, it seemed like at every step we did not follow through. Again, so sorry for this. Running out of Perrier, would be my fault as the manager who does the ordering, which I take full responsibility for. The rest I can assure you is because we are just getting into patio season, and due to the horrific weather are just getting the patio up and running. Refrigerating the red wine, would have beeen an oversight by our new crew. I can assure you, that next time, if you do decide to try us again, it will be much better. If it is not, please contact me at apurcell@redstag.ca as I would love to hear more about it.

Thank you again for letting me know, we seemed to have taken our eye off the ball, but please give us another at bat.

GM
Caring Counts

Reviewed 13 May 2014

I was very happy with my food. The burger was tasty and large fries like I love!

That Friday, there was a concert and that is the reason why the service was slow. I could see our waitress watching to it instead of serving us. Otherwise the atmosphere was awesome and it was a great night out!

Would go back hoping that the service will be faster.

RedStagManagement, General Manager at Red Stag Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Thank you for your response takayukibru.

First of all I must apologize, I am assuming that this was the Friday that just past. This would have been when Alan Doyle of the band Great Big Sea showed up unannounced and jump up to play some songs. I can assure you that our service is usually top notch, however I think the staff were a bit caught up in the situation rather then the task at hand. I hope that you do come try us again, as you will receive far more attentive service next time, I can guarantee it.

GM