“The food here is Amazing and the atmosphere is freindly”
Review of Elephant's Eye - CLOSED

Elephant's Eye
Price range: US$9 - US$14
Cuisines: Canadian, Soups, International
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations, Seating
Neighbourhood: Downtown Halifax
Kamloops, B.C.
“The food here is Amazing and the atmosphere is freindly”
Reviewed 2 February 2011

This little gem is the best place for lunch in Halifax. The menu changes daily. The food is fresh and prepared so well. The owners are there in the cafe all the time so everything is kept perfect for guests. I have had the owners cater to my business many times and the food is exquisite. In fact many businesses in Halifax get this place to cater to various functions. I just love the seafood chowder as it is not that gooey white pastey stuff you get in many restaurants. The crepes are so fresh and delicious as well as the made in the cafe desserts. The prices are very reasonable and you are really taken care of by the staff.
Make this place a part of your Halifax visit and you will see what many believe, the Elephant's Eye is the place for a really wonderful dining experience.

Visited August 2010

Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
“Cute spot for lunch with the girls...but getting a seat is hard to do!”
Reviewed 19 May 2010

Went here with two girlfriends for lunch on a Friday in April at 1pm.
We had reservations. It is a tiny tiny spot...and when we got there...we had to wait for about 10 minutes. Now 10 min. is not a lot of time normally...but it is when one of the girls had to return to work and only had an hour for lunch!
They fit us around a table meant for two...;putting an extra chair at the table...it stuck out a bit, making us feel a bit cramped.
They also sell small bits of art and decor here...which makes the spot smaller and we found we were bumping into the art objects for sale while in line. The art on the walls and colours of the cafe, does make the spot trendy and cozy though.
I had the crepes with chicken. (as did my other friend) I found that it seemed like it had a campbell soup base....not great...and I am sure they did not use campbell soup...but this is how it tasted. One had a salad ....and it looked good....but not enough dressing.
We found the portions to be a wee bit small.
Initially we were going to have the pasta offering, but they had run out of it. We also asked for a special they had on a board, but they were also out of this. The server was friendly but busy.
We all shared a wonderful chocolate dessert, and each had a terrific coffee.
The bill was an average price for a trendy spot in Halifax...

1 Thank trip-together
New Haven, Connecticut
“Amazing Food-The Best in Halifax”
Reviewed 23 April 2010

I agree with Laura Caulder ( Food Network fame) in her article in Chatelaine's Magazine that it is one of her favourite restaurants in Halifax. The service is friendly. The owners are in the business daily and one is the chef. The food is so delicious and not expensive at all.
The place is well known for catering to various businesses in the area and from what I have
heard, there are not a few jealous competitors. I have been there regularly and the food is amazing!!! The chef buys all ingredients fresh each day and it shows in the quality of the meals. GREAT PLACE!!!

Halifax, Canada
“Okay, but probably wouldn't go back”
Reviewed 25 February 2010

Went to this restaurant recently with a friend. Had heard good things about it and thought the food would be better and prices more reasonable. It is located in downtown Halifax across from the Grand Parade (City Hall). It is small and attractive and the staff were pleasant and helpful. But the lunch specials were all, to me, expensive - $13.00 for a pasta dish or a kind of stew or a chicken crepe. My friend had the pasta with tomato pesto and smoked salmon. I had seafood chowder. We were given two small, thin pieces of bread before the meal, but no rolls or bread with our meals (should especially be included with chowder, I think).
My friend had gingerbread with some kind of sauce and he said it was very good. Think it was $6.00. My chowder was $9.00 and his pasta $13.00 and looked very small. My chowder had chunks of carrot, potato and, I think, haddock and quite a few large shrimp and scallops. It should have been good but, unfortunately, the sauce was watery rather than creamy and had a strong fishy smell (and scallops are wasted in chowder, in my opinion, because they have no taste cooked that way). It was lunch time but the place was very quiet.
I think this restaurant has potential (better portions, rolls with chowder, etc.) but I don't think I'll go back. Too bad as it is rather unique in its location as part of an antique shop - although it appears to be more restaurant than antique shop now.

1 Thank Halifaxgirl03
Culver City, California
“My favourite lunch place in Halifax!”
Reviewed 5 April 2009

The best place for lunch when you're in downtown Halifax - great location, terrific menu, fabulous staff!

1 Thank D B