“Lots of creamy pasta but where's the seafood??????”
Review of Vinnie's Pasta Bar - CLOSED

Vinnie's Pasta Bar
Price range: US$14 - US$19
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Reservations, Takeout
Neighbourhood: South End
Tucson, Az
“Lots of creamy pasta but where's the seafood??????”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Went there on recommendation of The Coast.
Service was great; prices are OK BUT..........
Pasta was soaked in cream sauce with VERY little seafood and the taste of the seafood was marginal at best. Seafood seemed not fresh.
Nothing special in fact not very good.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank KnownTraveler

“Go there tonight”
Reviewed 16 May 2014

First time at Vinnie's and it was better than I had imagined. The bread was hot, moist, with a good crust, and absolutely delicious. The Caesar had a lighter version dressing, still creamy but not heavy, and there was an abundance of fresh parm' and bacon. My husband had the calamari which was plentiful for the price, tender and moist, and the mild tomato sauce was well seasoned with an assortment of delicious herbs and it brought a bit of heat at the end of each bite. The calamari was on par with what I've had at Da Maurizio's. The selection of pastas and entrees was excellent, good variety and mix of options for all tastes. We also found the service to be 'on spot' .. Our server was there at the right times, not too often, and made sure we had cold ice water, butter, whatever we needed, without being annoying. Both of us continued to comment on the excellent service. I think our server was Jenni ... hope I got that right. Both entrees were well prepared. The presentation is simple but the flavour is not ... My chicken mushroom penne looked deceivingly plain; it was incredibly flavourful and delicious with a light cream sauce and the mushrooms coming through loud and clear. Hubby had traditional chicken parm' served with linguine and he asked for alfredo, which was happily accommodated. The boneless chicken breast was cooked perfectly; crunchy outside, moist and juicy inside. Even his side of veggies were well done, a nice balance of crunch and softness. We really enjoyed ourselves and will most definitely be back. The price point for all we had was also incredibly decent. A glass of wine, a mixed drink, salad, bread, calamari, and 2 pasta entrees ... for $65 including taxes. I've read some comments on the 'atmosphere' there. Although it's not Da's or Il Mercato, it's perfectly lovely, compact and well presented, clean, and the service and food both entirely overshadow any need for 'dramatic paint jobs' or 'Milan lighting'. Just go there tonight!

• Visited May 2014
Coimbra, Portugal
“Nice and not expensive”
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Nice service, very quick and nice. Hot bread bun and butter is a nice touch.
Had cannelloni with a side of salad and it was pretty good.
Nice meal after a tiring day.

• Visited April 2014
“Always Awesome”
Reviewed 10 April 2014 via mobile

We eat here frequently as it is close to my work. All entrées include soup or salad and fresh Mini loaf of sourdough bread. The pasta entrées are priced nicely between 14 and $20. You can start off with a relatively cheap glass of house wine and olive oil balsamic vinegar for dipping the bread in. This is followed by a very nicely done house salad just not just a hunk of lettuce with a piece of tomato on top or a lovely cream soup of the day. Both of these appetizers are in a full-size bowl not just a small cup. The past the menu is very interesting and have some different combinations which I have not seen anywhere else before. One of my favorites is the curry chicken pasta. My husbands favorite is the Southwest pastor which has a nice bit of spice. We hardly ever have dessert here because our dinner tends to fill us up. Great local community place to return to again and again.

Halifax, Canada
“OK, but don't really understand the hype”
Reviewed 19 March 2014

It was OK, but I really don't understand the hype. The bread was nothing special, just dense white bread. Not like you would get in Italy; more like what you would get at your grandmother's house. The caesar salad was absolutely drenched in dressing - I couldn't even eat it. And the pasta (I had lasagna; my husband had the sicilian sausage) was nothing more than average. I was actually quite disappointed in the lasagna, maybe because I make my own - so much better! I think the best thing I could say about this place was you get good value for money - the fact that all mains come with a salad, and the salad is a very good sized portion. I love Italian food and have eaten it many times - both in Italy and elsewhere in Halifax. I certainly would not agree with those who have said it is 'the best Italian restaurant in Halifax'. We were happy to have leftovers for lunch the next day but wouldn't rush back.

• Visited March 2014