“Avoid!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Vinnie's Pasta Bar
Price range: US$14 - US$19
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: South End
“Avoid!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

Ordered carry out pizza there last night and was not impressed. For the price paid I expected much more then what seemed to be tough dough with cheese thrown on top. But that was not the worst part! That was the only thing I ate for dinner and a few hours later into the night I started feeling extremely ill and turns out I had food poisoning! Spent pretty much the whole night sick to my stomach and still feeling unwell the next day. That was my first time ever going there and will definitely be the last! I will be avoiding that place with a good bit of distance!

Halifax, Canada
“Best Calamari in Halifax”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

Went to Vinnie's last night and had a wonderful meal. I think they have above average pastas and I would say the Cesar salad was ok. But the Calamari was hands down the signature dish that we had. They have a zesty tomato based sauce and the calamari is done to perfection. My wife had the butternut squash soup and I chose the Cesar salad. They have an oil based dressing and I like a creamy dressing. Portions were great and the service was excellent. A good sign that you are in a decent restaurant is the lineup at the door, when we arrived we took the second last table available about 10 minutes later it was a full house with people willing to wait for a table. Yes we will go back.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Tucson, Az
“Lots of creamy pasta but where's the seafood??????”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

Went there on recommendation of The Coast.
Service was great; prices are OK BUT..........
Pasta was soaked in cream sauce with VERY little seafood and the taste of the seafood was marginal at best. Seafood seemed not fresh.
Nothing special in fact not very good.

1 Thank KnownTraveler
“Go there tonight”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

First time at Vinnie's and it was better than I had imagined. The bread was hot, moist, with a good crust, and absolutely delicious. The Caesar had a lighter version dressing, still creamy but not heavy, and there was an abundance of fresh parm' and bacon. My husband had the calamari which was plentiful for the price, tender and moist, and the mild tomato sauce was well seasoned with an assortment of delicious herbs and it brought a bit of heat at the end of each bite. The calamari was on par with what I've had at Da Maurizio's. The selection of pastas and entrees was excellent, good variety and mix of options for all tastes. We also found the service to be 'on spot' .. Our server was there at the right times, not too often, and made sure we had cold ice water, butter, whatever we needed, without being annoying. Both of us continued to comment on the excellent service. I think our server was Jenni ... hope I got that right. Both entrees were well prepared. The presentation is simple but the flavour is not ... My chicken mushroom penne looked deceivingly plain; it was incredibly flavourful and delicious with a light cream sauce and the mushrooms coming through loud and clear. Hubby had traditional chicken parm' served with linguine and he asked for alfredo, which was happily accommodated. The boneless chicken breast was cooked perfectly; crunchy outside, moist and juicy inside. Even his side of veggies were well done, a nice balance of crunch and softness. We really enjoyed ourselves and will most definitely be back. The price point for all we had was also incredibly decent. A glass of wine, a mixed drink, salad, bread, calamari, and 2 pasta entrees ... for $65 including taxes. I've read some comments on the 'atmosphere' there. Although it's not Da's or Il Mercato, it's perfectly lovely, compact and well presented, clean, and the service and food both entirely overshadow any need for 'dramatic paint jobs' or 'Milan lighting'. Just go there tonight!

• Visited May 2014
Coimbra, Portugal
“Nice and not expensive”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

Nice service, very quick and nice. Hot bread bun and butter is a nice touch.
Had cannelloni with a side of salad and it was pretty good.
Nice meal after a tiring day.

• Visited April 2014