“Love the Pho”

Cuisines: Vietnamese
Neighbourhood: Downtown Halifax
Neighbourhood: Downtown Halifax
Reviewed 17 January 2013

Barrington Street in Halifax doesn't have a lot to offer. There are not many stores or restaurants and a lot of it is boarded up. However, Star Anise will make a detour there worth while. The Pho is delicious!

We always seem to end up there when our son is visiting Halifax. He's a vegetarian and we're not, but we can all get a delicious lunch or dinner at Star Anise.

Reviewed 5 December 2012

We went as a party of four for dinner and each of us had an excellent meal. Two of us had vermicelli (noodle) dishes, which were outstanding, and two of us had Pho (noodle soup) dishes, which were equally delicious. The flavours from the spices are incredible and you can tell great care is taken in the food preparation. All dishes are reasonably priced and the portions are very large!

Reviewed 9 September 2012

No matter where I travel I am always in the mood for Pho... enter Star Anise. Small place, decent sized menu, I must have eaten there/ordered here like 8 times during my stay in Halifax. The broth is very tasty, it is super reasonably priced, pork spring rolls are great, crispy shrimp crackers and fried chicken are alright too... but its really only the Pho that had me coming back. |Best one in Halifax, and apart from pizza not much delivers in Hali so good healthier option. Recommend, great value. Closed on sundays;(

Reviewed 23 May 2012 via mobile

I go to star anise any time I crave Vietnamese food. Which is all the time. I usually order the delicious crispy peanut tofu on vermicelli meal. It is amazing. The tofu is crispy and flavored perfectly. The whole meal is so light and feels so deliciously healthy. I want to go there right now. You have to try this hidden gem. It's incredible and three loyal staff are very good as well! My mouth is watering just thinking about this place!

Reviewed 24 February 2012

This was a spur of the moment stop for lunch and it was very good. Great value and very tasty. Speedy service, good prices. I would definitely go back next trip.