Star Anise
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Neighbourhood: Downtown Halifax
Neighbourhood: Downtown Halifax
Reviewed 23 February 2014

I was excited to see Pho after eating Pho in Calgary "Chinatown" so often (interestingly a lot of Vietnamese restaurants in so-called Chinatown). While the food was good, was nothing to what I have been used to. I found the noodles to be poorly done and did taste "store bought". The beef and spring rolls were cooked well but with weak, cold noodles, could not be an enjoyable meal for me. Also as far as pho goes, I found the prices to be rather high. I guess when not a lot of Vietnamese restaurants around, you can be average and pricey.

Reviewed 20 August 2013

Wow, what a fantastic place. This is a great restaurant with lots of vege options. I had the thus noodle tofu which was delicious. Excellent sized portions too!

Reviewed 11 March 2013

I was craving noodles and this place did not let me down. Reasonably priced and yummy food. I ordered the noodle plate with spring roll and the vegetables were crisp and fresh and the spring roll was crispy.

Reviewed 22 January 2013

We live in Cape Breton and every single trip to Halifax I stop at this place to get my pho! It's always tastes exactly how I remember and so worth the stop. Great location as well.

Reviewed 17 January 2013

Barrington Street in Halifax doesn't have a lot to offer. There are not many stores or restaurants and a lot of it is boarded up. However, Star Anise will make a detour there worth while. The Pho is delicious!

We always seem to end up there when our son is visiting Halifax. He's a vegetarian and we're not, but we can all get a delicious lunch or dinner at Star Anise.