“Estia - very disappointing”
Review of Estia - CLOSED

Estia
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Contemporary
Good for: Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Business meetings, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Downtown Halifax
Description: Emulating a quintessential neighborhood restaurant in Greece, Estia offers traditional Greek cuisine made from favorite family recipes as well as an eclectic mix of contemporary meat, seafood, pasta and vegetarian dishes. A variety of Pitas, paninis, wraps and sandwiches satisfy those looking for lighter fare, and a selection of gluten free and vegan options make Estia a casual dining destination to satisfy all palates.
Ottawa, Canada
“Estia - very disappointing”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

My wife and I had planned on going to La Perla while visiting Halifax from Ottawa but it had recently closed so after doing a little research we stumbled upon several review for Estia so opted to go there instead. That was a mistake. I had phoned several days prior and made reservations. When we arrived the girl who greeted us looked very confused when we said we had reservations. After a few seconds she said ok (didn't bother to check anywhere or with anyone) and tried to sit us beside the door. I normally don't like to have cold November air washing over me every time someone enters the restaurant so we asked to be seated somewhere else. The waitress took us towards the back of the restaurant where a gentleman approached us and asked us how we were doing. I said we have reservations and before I could say anything else he responded "oh yes, Tony right?". It turns out this was the owner and he was expecting us. That made up for the waitress with the deer in the headlights look. The owner sat us down and served us for the rest of the evening. That service was great. The problem was the food. We ordered stuffed mushrooms, Greek salad and for the entrée stuffed haddock. The stuffed mushrooms were good, a little warm bordering on cool but good nonetheless. The salad was your standard garden salad with some black olives thrown in for the "Greek" part. Disappointing. Then the entrée. Small roasted potatoes, sautéed veggies and the stuffed haddock. The potatoes were hot on the outside and not cooked on the inside. The sautéed veggies were frozen veggies heated up and the stuffed haddock was cool to cold on the outside and the "stuffing" was barely warm. Oh, and the stuffing was the same stuffing they used in the mushrooms. It was like everything was pre-pared from frozen, tossed in the microwave and then served. For the price, we ate it, but we won't be back. Too many good restaurants in Halifax to choose from to waste time and money on something barely edible.

1 Thank Tony V
mik1574, Owner at Estia, responded to this review, 28 November 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. As a local family owned business, we are very much involved in the daily operation of the restaurant. We value our customers and strive to provide a memorable dining experience for all our guests. Taking pride in both our food and providing excellent service, and I cannot express to you how very disappointed we were to hear your visit was lacking in food preparation and presentation. Although I was glad to hear the quality of service was great and recall serving your table as you introduced both yourself and your wife to me, asking if I was the owner, I was very surprised to read about your disappointment in the food. Since there was no indication of such displeasure when quality checking your table during the course of the evening, or when you came up to the bar to thank me so kindly for my hospitality, I truly believed your experience with us was favorable and certainly not indicative of the review or rating. We take great pride in our dedication to customer service, and I most certainly would have welcomed the opportunity to address and rectify your concerns immediately while you were still in. Nonetheless, I am very sorry to hear your visit was lacking and sincerely apologize for a disappointing meal. We certainly fell short on your expectations in not delivering the culinary experience we’re known to provide. Although your meals did not seem representative of it, we are committed to food quality and preparation, and I can assure you neither the vegetables nor the stuffed haddock is frozen and although we do stuff and roll the haddock ahead of time, it is cooked to order in a convection oven not microwave. That said, the fact still remains, money was spent on a less than enjoyable meal.

Taking a proactive approach, we are sharing your comments with staff discussing your feedback in great detail ensuring your concerns regarding preparation and presentation are promptly looked into and followed up on. With regard to money spent on a less than enjoyable barely edible meal, I very much agree and hope you will contact me directly at info@estiarestaurant.ca so we may have an opportunity to hopefully find a means of rectifying a poor experience with us. Once again, sincere apologies and thank you for your review and your time. Sincerely, Peter Katsichtis

Stuttgart, Germany
“My favourite in Halifax”
Reviewed 15 November 2013

I go to Estia all the time when I am in Halifax. The food is always amazing and the service always friendly! The owners are very nice and really care for their costumers. What makes Estia also special to me, is that they are doing the "I Love Local", where local businesses support and strengtheng the HFX community.
Since I am a student I used to think it would not be affordable for me to go to such a nice place to eat, but I have to say the prices are actually not bad at all. They have very good lunch specials and also 'bring your own beverage' days. Whenever I tell a friend to come with me they are just as pleased by everything as I am!
You should all check it out!

Shediac
“Excellent food, service and ambience!”
Reviewed 11 November 2013 via mobile

Really enjoyed our dinner, we had the Greek platter for two. Great way to experience different Greek food, everything was delicious! The service was impeccable!

Visited November 2013
Halifax, Canada
“Estia restaurant”
Reviewed 9 November 2013

Estia is a small, cosy restaurant in downtown Halifax, Nova Scotia. It has been a favourite restaurant of mine for several years, and it never disappoints. Whether you are ordering cheese flambé (saganaki) or moussaka, you will appreciate the delicious flavours! The menu is varied with lots of seafood and excellent lamb. Tonight I had the haddock which was beautifully cooked and perfectly spiced. The service was good, and this evening we noticed that because of the layout of the restaurant, it wasn't noisy, despite being full of people. The music was also in the background and did not drown out conversation. There is a good wine selection and the prices are reasonable. I warmly recommend Estia to anyone who likes Mediterranean, but especially Greek, food.

Halifax, Nova Scotia
“Style over substance??”
Reviewed 9 November 2013

It looks terrific - a cross between a swanky upscale restaurant and a sophisticated lounge bar. It does not look like a Greek restaurant.
So one has higher expectations. And while the food was good, it lacked something. Hard to pin it down, but it did not quite meet expectations.

Clearly lemon-roasted potatoes are their specialty - they came with everyone's meal. And the verdict was the same at our table: mehhh, nothing to write home about.

• Visited October 2013