“ABasic Accommodation”

Ranked #18 of 22 Halifax B&B and Inns
Annapolis Royal, Canada
“ABasic Accommodation”
Reviewed 16 March 2012

The Wedgewood Motel is a simple, clean and adequate place to stay. The rooms are dated with amateurism repairs done to problem areas but clean and comfortable. The kitchenette in each room is very small with some dishes. This motel is designed for the individual who needs a place to stay inexpensively perhaps while in the are for a short work period. The rooms would be rated at the lowest level of Canada Select. However, the very pleasant lady on the front desk makes up for the basic quality of the room. She is friendly and helpful and is a great ambassador for the motel.

Room Tip: Suggest a second floor room facing back where traffic noise would make it quieter.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank golflinc56

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Reviewed 31 October 2011

After staying here a year ago with my husband and I found that although this motel was basic it suited our needs until our last two stays where we were treated Ike crap! We chose to stay here before getting our flight to Edmonton for a holiday. We checked in and all was good until we tried to go to sleep. From 8 pm till 11pm there was a loud party of individuals above us, because we had to check out at 5am we were hoping for some sleep. I made a complaint to the front desk which seemed to result in the party above to increase their noise level and swearing. I made a further complaint and asked to move, thefrontdesk staff moved us but only a couple off ores en which resulted in verbal abuse from the party above who watched us move, which I mentioned to thefrontdesk staff and they shrugged their shoulders at me. We checked ou and enjoyed our holiday but on the return we decided to give the motel one more chance. We arrived to check in and was greeted by the same front desk staff from the last stay who greeted us with " I didn't think you would come back" but thanks not howi would want to be greeted and instead of offering a discount for our previous experience charged us full price and sent s on our way. The following day as we began to pack our things up the phone in room rang the precise time was 10:53am and was abruptly told to leave as it was check out time which isn't until 11am we were well aware of this and did not appreciate the abruptness of the call. I decided to take the key back myself and was greeted like a line batch customer with a simple "room number" to which i replied 105 and then told " you leave now" I was not impressed and will certainly be writing to the owners. NEVER STAY HERE, U HAVE BEEN WARNED.

• Stayed October 2011
4 Thank Millers217
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 23 May 2011

Just stayed at this establishment and found it to be a very good bargoon: you get a HUGE room with a nice kitchenette (all appliances working nicely, thank you.....), clean bathroom with actual soap bars, and a very nice, clean bed for only $69, which for Halifax is about the lowest price you're going to find in a motel!! If you're strapped for cash but still want a very decent place to stay, then i highly recommend this place.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank HalifaxTiger
Saint John, Canada
Reviewed 27 September 2010

Stayed at this place for two nights, this is the most disgusting place I have ever stayed at in my life I have travelled all over the United States and Canada. I've been to some gross places but this one is the worst!!! The bedding was dirty with blood stains on the white sheets which they never cleaned. Pubic hair in the shower and on the walls of the bathroom. Mould in the bathroom on the ceiling and walls. The people that were supposed to clean the rooms don't actually clean the rooms blankets or towels. All rooms stunk like rotting animals. The 1950's style stove looked like it was never cleaned it had 2 inches of grease and fat on the bottom of oven. They had no soap or shampoo just some industrial pink hand soap in the dispensers that didnt work. The air conditioners were loud and gross looking from the 40's. The carpets and furniture are dirty and out of date, the tv didnt work right probably because it's 20 years old. They say they have wirless internet but it doesn't work unless you use there computer in the stinky lobby!!! The free breakfast well lets just say if you like aged frootloops and gross coffee than u might like this breakfast! The exterior of the building is outdated and embarrasing, I would never reccomend this place or admit to anyone that I stayed here. i felt itchy the whole time I was there. The only good thing I have to say is the woman that was working the front desk was very polite.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
3 Thank moneymaniac
Montreal
Reviewed 10 July 2010

I stayed at this motel with my family and we enjoyed our stay. The rooms are very clean, the kitchen was fantastic for our family. The area was nice and quiet. The bathroom and the kitchen in our room was very clean and the rates were good. I was impressed.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank matt_tobey
Cape Breton Island, Canada
Reviewed 1 June 2010

So, a year ago I stayed at this motel, and needless to say, it was... falling apart. coming back into Halifax last week, I was stuck, and sadly for me had to turn once again to The Wedgewood. I will say however that I was slightly more impressed than I was the first time around. They was done some upgrades, and my room was clean. Still cheap soap and ugly bedding, but smelled good, and the bathroom and Kitchenett were both very clean. The front desk staff was kind and smiling, and they did have complimentary coffee and snacks in the morning. While it isn't great, I guess I got out of it, as much as I paid. for 69.00 a night... It'll do.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mamabear902
Reviewed 4 October 2009

This hotel is a dump! Very dirty and dingy! The rooms stink, the beds and sheets were old and dirty, the kitchenette had a 50's stove in it that was dirty, the fridge leaked water onto the floor. The bathroom was disgusting, mould and the shower was stained yellow. There is no soap there, its generic pink soap in dispensers beside the sink and the shower. It said that it is body wash AND shampoo. Its not. Its cheap handsoap. When my friend took a shower, the showerhead AND pipe fell off the wall and hit her on the head! The showerhead and pipe was not soddered, they used caucking to put it up. With the heat of the shower, the caucking melted and the showerhead flew off. Health hazard in more than one way. The hole where the showerhead would fit showed that it has been leaking, there was mouldy wet wood behind there. After complaining, we were moved to another room. That room was just as bad, except the showerhead actually stayed attached. All in all, its a bad place, the owners dont care, there letting it go downhill, no maintance here. BAD BAD BAD! Where's Nova Scotia Public Health when you need them?

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with friends