“Hydrographers will appreciate a visit”

Maritime Museum of the Atlantic
Ranked #7 of 140 things to do in Halifax
More attraction details
Owner description: Immerse yourself in the rich marine history depicted by this museum's vast collection from binnacles and buoys to anchors and armaments.
Abu Dhabi
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Hydrographers will appreciate a visit”
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Despite finding out that the corvette Sackville was not on display and also discovering I was too early in the year by two weeks to visit the Acadia, both vessels usually at the adjacent quayside, I found the exhibits really well done. All items well presented with descriptive text in both English and French.
I did not know, prior to arrival at the museum, of the vessel Acadia and it's long term service as a Hydrographic ship. This was a surprise, and a nice one for me, as a Hydrographer!
There were plenty of exhibits of various nautical flavour, to keep all members of a family intrigued, from historical sailing vessels, naval development, the hydrographic service and a special and dramatic exhibit about the Halifax explosion.
A well laid out set of displays not hard on the feet to get around. A superb model making exhibit on the second floor.
Thoroughly enjoyable, although I may be slightly biased!

Visited June 2014

• Thai first
Halifax, Canada
110 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 95 helpful votes
“The best Halifax has to offer”
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I recently bought a groupon and my husband and I decided to visit the museum. I had been a couple of times but not in years. It is a great place to stay if you are interested in ships and the Halifax Explosion. The museum is modern and laid out well. There is a good Titanic exhibit, shipwrecks in general, The Halifax Explosion, ships and the wars. There is also a ship that you can visit out on the harbour.

Visited May 2014
Port Saint Lucie, Florida
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Worth the visit”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I'm not a museum person but I enjoyed this visit. The maritime history is fascinating and the Titanic artifacts were interesting. My husband thoroughly enjoyed the museum and took many pictures, which I will post if I ever get them organized.

Visited September 2013
Halifax, Canada
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“Seeing the real thing”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

whether you are watching short films or looking at the relics from the sunken ships, you will be given a better understanding of our way of life then. You will be surprised by the amount of mariner involvement we have had. It is also a snap shot of a way of life that is disappearing. But well worth the visit.

Visited August 2013
Halifax , NS! Canada
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“A definite must see”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Sometimes you don't do things in your own backyard. Visiting the Maritime Museum was one of them. We had friends visiting from Germany who had interest in the Titanic which prompted us to visit the Museum with them. As other reviewers have mentioned this is a very interesting place to visit and we got to see and learn a lot about our nautical history. I am sure there are a lot of people who live in the Halifax area who have not visited the museum. It is certainly worth a visit.
I had intended to write the review when we visited last summer but forgot about it. Better late than never.

Visited July 2013