“Immigration museum or history of the Pier?”

Canadian Museum of Immigration at Pier 21
Ranked #6 of 137 things to do in Halifax
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Plan a visit to this national testament to the Canadian immigration experience, which pays tribute to the citizens of Canada who have enriched this culturally diverse country. The Museum showcases the vast contributions of newcomers to Canada's culture, economy and way of life, from past to present day, see how Canada is shaped by the world in experiential ways.
Halifax, Canada
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Immigration museum or history of the Pier?”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2014

It's no doubt an interesting place to visit and the displays are interesting. As an immigrant myself, from a long time ago, not as part of a massive out-migration from a war-torn country, and arriving by jet airplane in the 20th Century, I felt that the museum did not do modern day immigrants credit.

Visited June 2013

Canadian Rockies, Canada
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“A must visit!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2014

Beautifully assembled, touching and informative! We were very impressed by this great museum and look forward to its expansion and another visit some years down the road!

Visited August 2013
1 Thank traveldays
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“new years wedding reception”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2014

We attended a wedding reception at Pier 21 on new Years Eve.The location was great with a good view of Halifax Harbour. The staff was very friendly and the parking close and convenient.The food was great,especially the poutine entree which was as good as any poutine I've had in Quebec.I would recommend Pier 21 for any one looking for a good meeting location or for a wedding reception.

Visited January 2014
Ankara, Turkey
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“A must see”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2013

There's always so much noise about Ellis Island in the States when looking at immigration in to North America that pier 21 in Halifax is often forgotten. It was amazing to find my relatives that came in to Canada in 1650 and see all of the records available. I think I spent 6 hours in the museum filling in holes in the family tree! I agree with another reviewer...after a vist here you'll develop a new appreciation for being Canadian.

Visited April 2013
2 Thank Thomas B
Glasgow, United Kingdom
150 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 85 helpful votes
“Found my mother”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2013

Went to Pier 21 not really knowing what to expect, I liked the interactive parts of the museum, which as well as being interesting, was educational.
I then went into the research part and looked for my mother, who sailed across the Atlantic to meet up with my father, who had been demobbed to Canada. I decided to see if I could find her and to my amazement, not only found my mother, but also on the same page were 2 of my aunts and 2 cousins.

Visited April 2013