Canadian Museum of Immigration at Pier 21
Ranked #9 of 147 things to do in Halifax
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Plan a visit to this national testament to the Canadian immigration experience, which pays tribute to the citizens of Canada who have enriched this culturally diverse country. The Museum showcases the vast contributions of newcomers to Canada's culture, economy and way of life, from past to present day, see how Canada is shaped by the world in experiential ways.
Reviewed 30 June 2014

This gave me the full circle feeling. I was able to connect the dots from the stories from my Grandparents as they landed in Canada from Ireland.
What brave souls they were!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,424)
All reviews
in 80 reviews
in 214 reviews
in 48 reviews

Reviewed 28 June 2014

The highlight of this stop is the research center and their very friendly and capable staff. Here is the deal. Come with what you know about a relative that arrived at Pier 21 - approximate year, country of origin, whatever you have. From there they will walk you through key documents, identify the ship on which they arrived, and provide a photocopy of the ship itself. The displays themselves are dated and of limited interest. The guide on duty when we arrived, was a bit short of knowledge about geography and history, but she was doing a better job than I would have done at the same age.

1  Thank bluesonwhyte
Reviewed 27 June 2014

My Uncle emigrated to Canada in the early 1950's, so it was of great interest to me and my family. My cousin had visited before and said that the film was excellent. The exhibits are very good, but you really need to go on a tour. The tour was very good and the lady who showed us round was very knowledgeable. However the film was a huge disappointment. We were told that it was for an upcoming addition to the museum. The lady was asked about the previous film shown and was told that you could buy it in the shop. My cousin told me that the previous film showed how the system worked, from getting off the ship to boarding the trains. However the new film showed recent immigrants coming to Canada and their reasons for coming. The film was was glossy and well made, but had no connection to pier 21. Also I felt it most people would know the reasons why people would emigrate to any Western country, it seemed to me to be stating the obvious. We all felt disappointed, as we were expecting a film connected to Pier 21, The rest of exhibits were very good. I liked the films on the train, they were very good especially the Welsh lady with the moon.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

The museum at Pier 21 is sharing the same building as the cruise port terminal so it is a natural to go to the museum when Halifax is a port of call !
We went first to visit the temporary exhibition on the first floor where we toured everything in 20 minutes and came out not too impressed ! We then went to the second floor where the permanent exhibition is located and joined a guided tour animated by a man who emigrated to Canada in the 50's ! Now this was really interesting ! We got to learn about the living conditions of immigrants during the war and the post war periods , the goods and the bads of governmental decisions at the time and see some relics of things that immigrants could and could not bring in the country !
This free guided tour (30 minutes) is excellent and visiting the museum without it would not be boring but close !Note that this tour is offered in English and French . After the tour we went to see an interesting video on the testimonies of people of various origins who emigrated to Canada . This proved to be interesting and worth staying for the entire video !
We then looked at different artifacts associated with the transition of immigrants moving in Canada and we found that part to be lacking in clarity and explanations
The last part is spent in a railway car where a video of different parts of Canada when crossing it from East to West by train are shown and testimonials of immigrants from different countries are shown in different cabins .
Overall the visit of this Museum was very interesting and we enjoyed it a lot ! Some parts need to be improved though !

1  Thank belleretraite